Why become a member? ×

ACG basses

clauster

My Graft is light. It's a Gallus 5 and I don't like heavy basses. My new custom spec has Walnut which is light as the body wood (holly top and bloodwood accent). We sorted out a particularly light piece of walnut too.

Basically good woods doesn't necessarily equate to weighty basses.

I can weigh the Gallus if you're desperate for numbers.

I will probably be selling it when the custom arrives too - mustn't allow myself to end up with over 20 basses again :)

Peter

Hi
As with all wood it depends on the piece you use to build the bass. In general the Alder is pretty light with the odd heavier piece and most of the tops I tend to use on the graft basses are on the light side as well.

Alan

My Graft is so light I have added lead shot to stop it floating away! I havent really (only kidding), but its a very light bass (Recurve Graft), and it sounds superb and plays like a dream as well, for hardly any money.......... I cant recommend it any higher.

Cheers,

Bob

My Graft is 7lb 11oz. Feels incredibly light. Very comfortable to play. Alder body and maple neck:

My "proper" custom-spec-level ACGs are more like your normal sort of weight for 5-strings. 9lb 1oz for the Skelf singlecut (which is incredibly light given the thickness of the body, but it is thoroughly chambered) and 9lb 4oz for the Recurve, which is all black limba and wenge.

Regardless of the weights, every ACG I've put on a strap has balanced beautifully. The Skelf singlecut in particular feels about 2lb lighter than it actually is, just because it balances so well.

Depends on woods. My big 5 strings ACG is really light. Lighter than my Vette 4 by some margin. It's black limba / Walnut body, and wenge / bubinga neck with macassar ebony board. So even this combo feels is very light. It was about the same as my K5 (mahogany / padauk, wenge / walnut / rosewood neck).

Just to chime in, I think all the Grafts I've messed around with have been fairly light, but as Alan says, as with any other bass, it all depends on the wood. There tends to be no rhyme nor reason to why, for example, one bit of Alder can be a lot heavier than another, however I've yet to play a Graft that was even slightly weighty yet.

All the proper custom ACGs I've played, including my own, like everyone else has already said, feel a lot lighter than they probably are simply down to the good design, the all balance perfectly and feel fairly effortless once on a strap, including Mark's 9 string behemoth!
As with any custom bass you can pretty much choose your spec to achieve a lighter weight if so desired.
My 5 string is just under 8 lbs, thanks to a ridiculously light Swamp Ash body...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='clauster' post='1259460' date='Jun 7 2011, 11:11 AM']Sounds like a Graft could be just what I'm after - lightish, balanced and simple. For less than £1k[/quote]

A LOT less than £1k!!!

Enough change to buy a GK MB200 amp (the tiniest proper amp head I have ever seen) to go with it, and it would still weigh less than a 70's P bass.............

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1259836' date='Jun 7 2011, 03:54 PM']My ACG is fairly lightweight considering it's a singlecut. The weight doesn't really seem to matter though because it balances so effortlessly. It's definitely best headed bass I've ever had as far as balance goes.[/quote]

It's good to hear that the 'special one' is in good hands :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1260386' date='Jun 7 2011, 10:08 PM']It's good to hear that the 'special one' is in good hands :)[/quote]

I could never sell it, it's far too good. Looked after religiously, as fresh as the day I bought it from you. It still looks brand new and sounds incredible. Best bass I've ever bought!