Why become a member? ×

Long Or Short Scale Basses

gsgbass

After going from short to long, I prefer long scale. The variations of string types, and availability, is enough for me to stay with a long scale.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wOpodzJ.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass

• 3 weeks later...

Started playing aged 50+ with a Legend Jazz Bass 34". I found a Legend P bass 34". Both were good budget basses to learn on, playing, experimenting with different string types, adjustments, set-ups etc.

I then caught a particularly virulant strain of GAS & self-medicated for several dark years, overdosing on various 34" models. My particular favourites were the Bass Collections, (comfortable with a very smooth action).

My eventual recovery stalled when curiosity led me to purchase a Tokai SG 32" (MIK). I think it will always remain my favourite for it's build, reliability, tone, feel & looks, flats being my string choice. It's not too heavy & the bridge is comfortable for damping. The neck width & radius feel right. 32" gives an easy reach for many patterns without shifting my left hand. Lazy? Maybe, but after 2 hours or so on stage I can feel the benefit.

Since then I've had fun with a Viola bass 30.25". Narrower width, good bridge for damping & very light but then I found a Gretch Junior Jet II 30.3" (MIRC) in Tobacco sunburst. The neck is a bit narrower than the SG but the build is good & the finish is very good. It's not heavy & I reckon good value for money. I intend to replace the switch & wire it up a la P bass with vol, vol, tone.

I'm content with just the SG & the Jet, medium & short scales. They feel comfortable & both give that humbucker warmth which is the sound I like. Of course my nirvana isn't going to be everyones.

So with both my GAS, not to mention my AAS, in remission for well over 12 months I just bought my first caravan! I think I might be developing CAS! I spent 3 hours on the laptop last night looking at photo's & reading reviews for the best awning! Thank God I shall never suffer a craving for handbags/shoes. Would that be "HASAS" ?

Edited by grandad

I don't take much notice of scale length.

I like Fenders at 34" but there's plenty of 34" basses I don't like at all.

I like semis like the Guild Starfire at 30".

For a long time I played a 32" Aria.

I'd say I like particular basses and not particular scale lengths.

When you've just got off an upright, they all seem like toys.

Edited by EssentialTension

As Chris B rightly points out,
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1307275645' post='1257277']
I agree, I prefer long scale, but you are supposed to move your hand to place your fingers over the note so small hands aren't an excuse for not being able to reach a note. Esperanza Spalding has smaller hands than most here and easily plays the double bass!!
[/quote]

As far as 4-strings go, I started learning on a short scale (30.5", I think) without knowing about the different scale lengths. A year later I got hold of a long-scale (34") and never looked back. Small hands needn't be a hindrance, but I just felt the longer necks suited my huge hands better!

That said, I'm glad my 8-string is short-scale...I've got it tuned a semitone flat and I'm still getting used to the extra tension!

• 2 months later...

I have a 30.5 inch violin bass which I like playing, especially at home but don't like the look playing live. I am a tall guy and it looks like atoy on me. I have a fender jazz which I am happy playing but find some fills a bit harder to get under my fingers. I also have 2 32" scale aria pros which i love playing. I find them a really good mix of tone and feel, less boomy in the low end and easy for harder riffs but I have played 2 other 32" scales which I didn't like so I think it is more about a particular instrument rather than a scale length issue.

Short-scale for me. Fender Mustangs and modded Squier Broncos are my current choices. Just find it much more comfortable, especially when using chords. I also tend to like the sounds I can get with SS basses though I'm pretty certain that other factors are affecting the tones as much the scale length.

Having said that, I do like my longer scale P-Bass for some things and like having one around when recording. I don't even really think about the scale length when playing and swap between the two without really thinking about it.

If you want to tune your bass down sometimes, than I´d prefer at least 35". That 1" does bigger difference than it seems. And then there are such things like Dingwalls...scale ob that basses speaks for itself.

Edited by Stejohn

I have a 33 and 34

The 33 feels smaller to me... Rationally the inch spread across the while fretboard is actually pretty immaterial.

I've come to the decision that it's the necks shape not the scale length that making it feel smaller..

Or am I just talking rubbish lol..

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1375982965' post='2168302']
I have a 33 and 34

The 33 feels smaller to me... Rationally the inch spread across the while fretboard is actually pretty immaterial.

I've come to the decision that it's the necks shape not the scale length that making it feel smaller..

Or am I just talking rubbish lol..
[/quote]

You might be right when you say the neck shape/width has more effect than the length on the "feel" of the instrument. It's a big factor with me.

That Rickenbacker looks stunning. Some years previous a colleague brought a sixties vintage Ric' into work & allowed me to doodle with it over the lunch-hour. He had inherited it from his father. I have never played a heavier bass, it weighed a ton. Are the modern Ric's just as solid?

Edited by grandad

I've got small-ish hands but didn't get on with the SS basses I've tried at all. Tried a few (Gibson SG, Fender Mustang, VM Mustang) a couple of weeks ago and they just felt cramped. I think, for me at least, neck profile is more of an issue than scale length.

Not sure if this will work properly, but a photo of my 2 aria pro cardinal 32" basses and my 30.5" aria violin bass. Excuse the photography, taken on the ipad... You must forgive me, i'm also a widdly widdly guitarist so have no concept of size or taste...

Edited by randythoades