Why become a member? ×

Bass Kit

deanbean502

I'm in the process of doing it (check my sig for the build thread). And while i'm on that, check out the build diarys section.
I'm seriously glad I didn't get a kit, for the amount of bass I've gotten for what I've spent it's quite remarkable, hunting down parts seperately, making them all fit. It's all part of the fun.

Have a hunt about for a body and neck then go from there :)

[quote name='deanbean502' post='1256368' date='Jun 4 2011, 04:04 AM']I have been thinking lately about building my own bass

has anyone done it?

can you recommend a kit?[/quote]

What are your limitations?

Can you run a router? Can you cut the profile of the body? Do you want to cut and install your own frets/truss rod?

The first bass I 'assembled' was from GuitarFetish in the US. It wasn't one of their 'everything included' kits, but I picked components from various pages on their site and as everything was roughed-out, I just proceeded to build from their body that included full routing and their neck work which was quite good.

Their neck, like I said was pretty good, the body was pretty bad. One a scale of wood quality, Balsa wood being a 10 and corrugated cardboard being a 1, their wood was somewhere below -5.

Their hardware was decent enough - the p'ups were excellent though! The completed bass weighs 3.41kg because of the body. Actually it's quite nice to play and very light on the strap.

I did the normal fret wire clean-up and dressed the headstock and back of the neck in ultra glossy polyurethane which I like:::

The p'ups aren't completely installed in this pix yet::

I have some other pixs of the finished product ::: (don't say nutthin' about the headstock decal - I just had one lying around - OK?)

My next build used the same GuitarFetish neck, although this time I really worked it over and this time I cut my own body. The job is still in the works, but I have gathered all the hardware and parts I need to finish it now.

I used construction-grade wood, laminated several pieces together and shaped my own body with modifications as I saw fit.

Here's the roughed-out shape showing the end grain of the wood:::

...and other pixs here::

Here's after the routing is done - Notice the knots, which will not show once the color coat is finished::

The body will be painted with aviation butyl-nitrate dope as was used on fabric covered aircraft, in a 1956 Packard Green.

Like I said - it all depends on what you are capable of as far as how completed the 'kit' has to be for you.

At this time I am not really interested in building my own necks, although I see that as something to which I can aspire later on this year.

I've just spied a tasty bubinga bodied crafter bass on the net i might get as a project bass, thinking of gutting it, giving it a decent neck, pups, electronics and bridge, is this kind of thing very feasible and easy enough to do?

[quote name='Ross' post='1256509' date='Jun 4 2011, 02:46 PM']I'm in the process of doing it (check my sig for the build thread). And while i'm on that, check out the build diarys section.
I'm seriously glad I didn't get a kit, for the amount of bass I've gotten for what I've spent it's quite remarkable, hunting down parts seperately, making them all fit. It's all part of the fun.

Have a hunt about for a body and neck then go from there :)[/quote]

That looks awesome

Were have you been sourcing your supplies?

Another vote for Brandoni - the necks and bodies are very good. The hardware and pickups are more hit and miss, so I'd suggest getting body and neck and sourcing everything else from wherever..including here. Used bridges, pickups etc can be very good value and its surprising what you can collect over a few weeks.

Its a great learning experience and really demonstrates the value of a good set up.