Why become a member? ×

Anyone used the iRig with Amplitube?

Evil Undead

I downloaded Amplitube and bought an iRig for my iPhone the other day. Wasn't really expecting much so as to not be disappointed, but was really pleasantly surprised.

It had a wide range of tones available, ability to record clips and export as MP3. I've only tried it through headphones at the moment, but am planning to try it through my amp... it's possible that it may replace my pedalboard if I like the results! (I only own a tuner, distortion, and envelope filter and this cops all of those perfectly, and has about 7 more effects as well)

Has anyone else used one of these? I'm particularly keen to know about live experiences, but will listen to all :) Just wanting to hear others views.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1255028' date='Jun 3 2011, 08:24 AM']...it's possible that it may replace my pedalboard if I like the results![/quote]

Haven't tried this myself, but I'd be interested to know how it fairs when you stomp on it to turn things on/off!

[quote name='skej21' post='1255044' date='Jun 3 2011, 08:52 AM']Haven't tried this myself, but I'd be interested to know how it fairs when you stomp on it to turn things on/off![/quote]

Haha! I thought about whether it would be possible to turn them off and on during songs. But I use effects so rarely, and if i do it's the same one throughout the song rather than switching between them during the song. So, for me, that isn't an issue.

I bought the Peavey version, Ampkit, then downloaded the Ampkit, Amplitube and Gallien Krueger software, and I have to say I found the GK software the best for plugging in and learning new songs, the others were overcomplicated and filled with guitar effects. Very happy with it!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1255081' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:34 AM']I use it for learning cover songs for the wedding band :)

Its Simple to use and you can import songs directly from your iphone to play along to :) you can even slow the song down without affecting pitch!! Genius!!

:lol:[/quote]

Ditto. Invaluable for learning new stuff. Have to tweak settings and levels tho so as not to get a distorted bass sound.

I was going to get an irig for my ipad, but have heard that the new Apogee Jam is much better [url="http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php"]http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php[/url]

So I am going to order one of these. It connects to the 30 pin connector of the ipad/iphone. It can also be used to connect to a computer too.

There are already a few threads on this and it seems like quite a few people are using it.
I got one and was very underwhelmed and sent it back. I have since got another one as the IKM app has improved quite a bit, and there is also the free (or paid version) from Gallien Krueger which, unlike the IKM app, doesnt require you to import tracks in to it first.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87219"]Amplitube for iPhone[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126675"]GK on iphone[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

You could always try these..

[url="http://www.airturn.com/"]http://www.airturn.com/[/url]

"With these Bluetooth momentary switches you can turn pages on your iPad sheet music app. There are already more than a dozen existing compatible apps."

You might be able to pair it with the App to allow for fx switching.

Would be interesting finding out

Yep, I'm quite fond of Amplitube/iRig myself!

I find it a very useful little app for jotting down ideas and generally playing around. The tone can be a bit muddy and I find it's best to switch to 'airplane mode' on the iPhone, otherwise it throws up all sorts of unwanted noise. But heh, for something that runs on a mobile phone it's pretty damn good IMO!

Here's a little number I put together using Amplitube and other iPhone apps [blatant bump my own thread alert]:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137845&pid=1245068&st=0&#entry1245068"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1245068[/url]

[quote name='Skol303' post='1256041' date='Jun 3 2011, 10:50 PM']Yep, I'm quite fond of Amplitube/iRig myself!

I find it a very useful little app for jotting down ideas and generally playing around. The tone can be a bit muddy and I find it's best to switch to 'airplane mode' on the iPhone, otherwise it throws up all sorts of unwanted noise. But heh, for something that runs on a mobile phone it's pretty damn good IMO!

Here's a little number I put together using Amplitube and other iPhone apps [blatant bump my own thread alert]:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137845&pid=1245068&st=0&#entry1245068"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1245068[/url][/quote]

I wanna listen to your track but soundcloud appears to be having issues at the moment!

Anyhoo. As you seem to have a technical brain, if I wanted to use this at band practice, would I run it through my amp head first like a pedal board, or straight in to my cab (leaving the head completely out of the equation)?

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1256144' date='Jun 4 2011, 02:49 AM']Is there anything like this for android?[/quote]

Hey Randy Marsh, I'm a massive fan of your username and avatar :)

This is from the IK website (makers of Amplitube) from February. There may be updates since this but I can't find anything. There may be other brands that will work on Android, perhaps GK or Ampkit?

[quote]Not at the moment, as it is not possible. The Android OS cannot handle the low-latency audio requirements for an app like AmpliTube. We were waiting for the low-latency audio issues on the OS to be rectified and we'll see if the brand-new OS update actually fixes them - but yes we consider it a viable platform and watch it with interest.

The newest Android OS update was supposed to fix low-latency audio issues but unfortunately not enough progress was made in this area so we could not attempt to develop AmpliTube on the platform as it would not be of high enough quality that we require for our app at this time.[/quote]

EDIT: Just found this on their website - was only posted this morning!

[quote]We've actually begun an initial foray into Android development recently, completing some successful tests of low-latency audio. It will still be several months away, but we should present some Android offerings in the future.[/quote]

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1256053' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:03 PM']I wanna listen to your track but soundcloud appears to be having issues at the moment!

Anyhoo. As you seem to have a technical brain, if I wanted to use this at band practice, would I run it through my amp head first like a pedal board, or straight in to my cab (leaving the head completely out of the equation)?[/quote]

Yep, the first one... think of it like a pedal board - or more like a Line 6 pod, that sort of thing. It's essentially a pedal and amp/cab simulator. Not a great one; but a damn good one if you bear in mind it's running on a mobile phone!

I think it comes with about a 8 or so pedals pre-installed: fuzz, distortion, wah, limiter, octave, chorus and so on. You can select up to 3 of these at once and run them into a simulated amplifier/cab (there are a few of these to choose from). There's also a fairly basic tuner, metronome, 4-track recorder; plus the ability to import songs from your iTunes library and even adjust their tempo if you wish. There's also a range of add-ons that cost extra (more pedals; a basic mixing desk).

The interface itself is very user-friendly and tactile. The main downsides are the cost: the app itself is around £12 (I think?) and you need a special iRig connector to run your bass into it (a further £20!); also it's not the best sound quality - not bad, but not great.

My advice would be think of it as a "toy" rather than a serious piece of music gear - i.e. I would invest in it myself as something to use at band practice or a gig, but then I've never tried! ;-) It's certainly a very fun toy - and a great way to record new ideas very quickly - just don't expect it to be as good as the real deal.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1256506' date='Jun 4 2011, 02:45 PM']Thanks for that Evil Undead. I might have to wait a few months then, but at least I know something is coming my way, as it sounds like a great bit of kit.

Randy is a personal hero of mine. Glad to see he has a few fans on here :)[/quote]

and another one here

I use the iRig adaptor and Amplitube (the free version) on my iPad, I'd originally downloaded both this app and the GK free one, initially preferred the GK one but I've got to say the tone is not as good as what you get from the Amplitube app which I've found it to be fairly close to what sound I used to get with my Boss ME50B.

Yes, you do have to copy over any songs you want to play along with, unlike the GK app where it literally is plug in and play but once you get used to it, it's a very useful tool IMHO with the various features already mentioned in the other posts.

The iRig adaptor cost me £23 (off of Amazon) and was a tenner cheaper than most of the headphone amps!

Modern technology, marvellous!

Cheers
Dan