Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 8X10

MatthewKeys

Hello

I was just wondering what everyones opinions are on the Ashdown ABM 810.

1. Are they much heavier than an Ampeg 410HLF? Would it fit into a Ford Focus?

2. I can pick one up for £300 in immaculate condition with a free case worth £75... is this a good deal?

3. How do they sound?

And any other things you have to say about them!

Thanks!

They are rediculously heavy and hence why most of the ones you see are either used by famous names with roadies or in rehearsal rooms. Its hard to comprehend 70kg until you try to lift it.

They're £566 from Digital Village so £300 would appear to be a good deal but there's one that's failed to sell twice on Ebay for £320. The problem is the weight. Very few people are willing to buy heavy gear these days and even I've succumed to buying a lightweight cab and the people that are gnereally willing to buy the heavy stuff are wanting it cheap because of the weight cos chances are it'll end up in a rehearsal room

If you can live with that then the sheer power of the 8x10" cab will knock you sideways.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1253990' date='Jun 2 2011, 02:04 PM']Hello

I was just wondering what everyones opinions are on the Ashdown ABM 810.

1. Are they much heavier than an Ampeg 410HLF? Would it fit into a Ford Focus?

2. I can pick one up for £300 in immaculate condition with a free case worth £75... is this a good deal?

3. How do they sound?

And any other things you have to say about them!

Thanks![/quote]

If they are the same dimensions as a MAG 8x10 then yes it will fit in a Focus. Never used an ABM 8x10 but it's a lot of cab for that price especially with a cover thrown in. My only gripe about my MAG 8x10 is that the castors it comes with are rubbish, mine started to fall apart after about a month! But i managed to get much better quality replacements cheaply so it's not a major problem.

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1254011' date='Jun 2 2011, 02:19 PM']If they are the same dimensions as a MAG 8x10 then yes it will fit in a Focus. Never used an ABM 8x10 but it's a lot of cab for that price especially with a cover thrown in. My only gripe about my MAG 8x10 is that the castors it comes with are rubbish, mine started to fall apart after about a month! But i managed to get much better quality replacements cheaply so it's not a major problem.[/quote]

thanks! I hear that the ABM comes with better quality components anyway. How do you find moving the 8x10 around? Can you move it by yourself?

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1254026' date='Jun 2 2011, 02:31 PM']thanks! I hear that the ABM comes with better quality components anyway. How do you find moving the 8x10 around? Can you move it by yourself?[/quote]

I can lift mine into the back of a van on my own but i wouldn't want to do much more than that! They are very heavy but i'm lucky that mine is stored at our rehearsal room so i just wheel it into place to use it and wheel it back when i'm done, and when we gig we all travel together in a van so it's rare i have to lift it by myself. Everyone seems to be going to lightweight gear now, so there's some bargains to be had if you don't mind a bit of bulk! So if you don't mind a bit of physical exercise, go for it. I guarantee the first time you stand in front of it when its really cooking, the weight of it will be the last thing on your mind!! :)

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1254068' date='Jun 2 2011, 02:49 PM']I can lift mine into the back of a van on my own but i wouldn't want to do much more than that! They are very heavy but i'm lucky that mine is stored at our rehearsal room so i just wheel it into place to use it and wheel it back when i'm done, and when we gig we all travel together in a van so it's rare i have to lift it by myself. Everyone seems to be going to lightweight gear now, so there's some bargains to be had if you don't mind a bit of bulk! So if you don't mind a bit of physical exercise, go for it. I guarantee the first time you stand in front of it when its really cooking, the weight of it will be the last thing on your mind!! :)[/quote]

that is reassuring, thanks!

I've read that Ashdown 810's are 70kg and Ampeg ones are 63kg or something... would it be worth saving another £200 to save up for an Ampeg one? :)

I am 6ft2 but pretty weak, I think I would struggle getting it to, and out of the car for almost every single show. But i'm not sure because i've never tried to move an 8x10 before. I struggle with my 410HLF, purely because it's so low down.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1254104' date='Jun 2 2011, 03:07 PM']that is reassuring, thanks!

I've read that Ashdown 810's are 70kg and Ampeg ones are 63kg or something... would it be worth saving another £200 to save up for an Ampeg one? :)

I am 6ft2 but pretty weak, I think I would struggle getting it to, and out of the car for almost every single show. But i'm not sure because i've never tried to move an 8x10 before. I struggle with my 410HLF, purely because it's so low down.[/quote]
I've never used an Ampeg 8x10 but i imagine they must be pretty good considering how many of them are out there! Maybe a 6x10 might be worth considering?

The Celestion equipped Laney 8x10" is a very reasonable 45kg and would be my first choice if I was playing venues that warranted having one. Coming in at a relatively low price of £643 from [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=07110213190929"]Guitar Guitar[/url]

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1254152' date='Jun 2 2011, 03:47 PM']I've never used an Ampeg 8x10 but i imagine they must be pretty good considering how many of them are out there! Maybe a 6x10 might be worth considering?[/quote]

Yeah Ampeg 6x10's are about 50kg... 20kg lighter than the ashdown... but also around £200 more expensive. But then it might get a similar tone to my 410hlf which I do not like.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1254170' date='Jun 2 2011, 04:03 PM']Yeah Ampeg 6x10's are about 50kg... 20kg lighter than the ashdown... but also around £200 more expensive. But then it might get a similar tone to my 410hlf which I do not like.[/quote]

I'd say for £300 the ashdown is worth a look, but depending on the size of venues you play i would be inclined to keep the 4x10 as well, for smaller gigs.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1254201' date='Jun 2 2011, 04:26 PM']The laney 810 looks perfect! But they seem fairly uncommon, and I doubt I will find one secondhand for £300.....[/quote]

Exactamundo - I've been on the look out for a second hand 1x15" Nexus cab to come up for ages. I believe that out of the thousands of members on the forum there's one other member that has one so the chances of someone having an 8x10" is remote.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1254373' date='Jun 2 2011, 06:22 PM']Yeah, it's a shame because if it really does look like the perfect 8x10.. It's almost as light as a markbass one!

Any more opinions on the Ashdown ABM and it's portability anyone?[/quote]

I don't think there's any doubting the capabilities of an ABM810 and if you can get it for £300 with a cover its good value, i guess you just have to decide if it suits your requirements and if you fancy humping a 70 kilo cab around! I'm biased as i hump a MAG810 around and it doesn't bother me. The sight of your amp parked on top of an 8x10 and the sound when its cranked more than makes up for the physical effort!

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1254390' date='Jun 2 2011, 06:35 PM']I don't think there's any doubting the capabilities of an ABM810 and if you can get it for £300 with a cover its good value, i guess you just have to decide if it suits your requirements and if you fancy humping a 70 kilo cab around! I'm biased as i hump a MAG810 around and it doesn't bother me. The sight of your amp parked on top of an 8x10 and the sound when its cranked more than makes up for the physical effort![/quote]

I guess your right!

However, the Mag weighs 64kg whereas the ABM weighs 70kg... is that 6kg difference going to be noticeable?

If I were in your situation (and I really wish I was :)) I would go and see the amp and try and lift it. If you think it is managable, snap it up for the £300. If you then find its too much (weight or power wise), you have 2 options...

1) Hang on to it and use your 410 for gigs and keep the fridge as a 'fun time' amp in your rehearsel space (or room / whatever)

2) Sell it on... You could probably make a profit on it and the case

I've only ever played through an 810 once and that was the ABM 810 with an ABM1000 sat on top. I am a 5'7/5'8, fairly weedy 18 year old and this thing was roughly the same size as me. I tried lifting it, and I found that I could 'manage' it, but I wouldn't want to do it by myslef everynight. However, the sound was just incredible. I cranked it up a little and was literally stepping into the sound of this thing. I'm hoping that 2 of the ABM 410s will have a similiar effect without the manoeuvrability issues

Edited by BruceBass3901

Do it mate! You only live once, that's a cracking deal and if after a few months you're sick and tired of carting it around, flog it on. I doubt you'd lose any money on it. Although you won't be able to see it on stage due to the amount of women crowded around you because you've got such a massive piece of kit!

Trucsktop

I think they are a lot more portable than you would imagine - for a start they have the castors and handle so you can push them along - easier than carrying a 4x10.
Also if you are loading them into the van they are easy to tilt back and slide in, if you see what I mean. It's a two man job but again easier than you both having to lift up the 4x10.

Of course, all this is assuming you have the transport and space to accomodate one! But if you have, I say go for it. A roaring 8x10 is not an experience to turn down.

Don't know if this is true or not, but I was once told by a sound man that Ashdown 8x10s sound a lot livelier than the Ampeg equivalent (which I have never got on with) because they are really 4 stacked 2x10s... Or was that the Ampeg?

Anyway, P bass > ABM head > 810 = heaven.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1255727' date='Jun 3 2011, 05:33 PM']Don't know if this is true or not, but I was once told by a sound man that Ashdown 8x10s sound a lot livelier than the Ampeg equivalent (which I have never got on with) because they are really 4 stacked 2x10s... Or was that the Ampeg?

Anyway, P bass > ABM head > 810 = heaven.[/quote]

Both are 4 chambers of two speakers each (hence the weight). Some Ampegs are really dull sounding due to the speakers used in them, depends on the year.

I use my ABM every night without fail, its a brilliant cab and i prefer it to ampeg 810s any day. However, it lives in the van between gigs, its easy enough to get in and out of the van on your own and wheel it about, but stairs will need 2 people.

It will fit in a ford focus, but if you care about keeping the paint on it, you're gona have trouble.

The general method of 810 loading is to tip it up against the van bumper and lever it up and in to the back, wouldnt advise doing that in to a car.

Saying that, the ashdown does have handles on the side where the ampeg doesnt... which is very handy.

id say for that price, do it IF its gona be used regularly in big venues, you wont be loading it by yourself and you have somewhere to store it.

If not, its gona be a pain, you'll end up hating the thing and selling it on pretty soon.

I use my ABM every night without fail, its a brilliant cab and i prefer it to ampeg 810s any day. However, it lives in the van between gigs, its easy enough to get in and out of the van on your own and wheel it about, but stairs will need 2 people.

It will fit in a ford focus, but if you care about keeping the paint on it, you're gona have trouble.

The general method of 810 loading is to tip it up against the van bumper and lever it up and in to the back, wouldnt advise doing that in to a car.

Saying that, the ashdown does have handles on the side where the ampeg doesnt... which is very handy.

id say for that price, do it IF its gona be used regularly in big venues, you wont be loading it by yourself and you have somewhere to store it.

If not, its gona be a pain, you'll end up hating the thing and selling it on pretty soon.

Eh guys, turns out the one he is selling is one of the older ones which look different... and it doesn't look too good to be honest and i'm not willing to part £300 for it.

But I am still on the look out for one of these, SO if anyone is selling one of the newer 810 ABM's, message me!

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/press/press_images/bass_mid_size/ABM%20810%20Cab.jpg"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/press/press_im...20810%20Cab.jpg[/url] one that looks like this please!

cheeers