Why become a member? ×

Big Fat 70's style cop drama tune - rough demo 1st take

krispn

Hey BC Brigade

My old house mate found out her work buddy was a producer/hip hop nut who gave me this track to add some bass to. This is a rough sketch with a couple of timing issues *ahem* but I think its the final version Im gonna bounce back to him as my effort (once I have re-recorded it that is!)

Before I do so I'd really appreciate feedback and constructive criticism. Its been played on a P bass with the tone right off, flatwound strings and I was going for my idea of a '70's tone'. I have added some EQ via garageband for what I think is a punchy, yet fat, tone. I know the mix isn't that great but he'll be getting a raw file to add and mix down as he sees fit so from that aspect its not an issue - this is just a quick sketch.

I felt the original track was repetitive, but not in a bad way - its a great track- so I wanted to try and create three distinct sections playing something different on each pass kinda thing- a riff, a solid line and then something with a bit of movement adding to the 'drama'........

Well either that and I just tried to be groovy :)

Thanks in advance folks and don't mind the 70's pic's. I had to add something to make it a bit more interesting :) Plus its only available via this link for now as its a demo track.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE8XB3lcxiQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE8XB3lcxiQ[/url]

Edited by krispn

I liked the tune, but in this style of music the bass (at least in my opinion) cuts through the mix a lot more. I didn't feel the bass was as punchy as maybe it could have been. I'd agree with WHUFC BASS in that it seemed a little muffled.

Unfortunately I'm no expert on mixing so I'm sorry to say I can only venture an opinion, not offer any plausible solutions.

Really like that, nices 70's vibe and a great bassline, as mentioned before the bass is probably a bit too muffled for this type of music.

Be good to hear the finished tune when it's done.

R.

PS Good to see some Pam Grier pics to :)