Why become a member? ×

Jaco on YouTube

Bilbo

I was looking at Jazz on the 'tube last night and came across a series of about 8 Jaco videos where he is being filmed in informal conversation with somebody; I'm not altogether sure who it is but the quality of the film and the interviewing is really poor. He is clearly unwell and mentally very fragile. You can really get a sense of the extent of his alleged manic depression (I am no expert). Interesting to watch for those who want to know what was happening as he approached the end of his life. He makes some lucid points amongst all the b***sh*t (from all parties). Slags off McLaughlin ('the guy will never swing') I can't post a link in work but will try later if I get the chance. Worth a look if you are interested. The link is to the first of 8 videos

He didn't really mince his words when it came to what he thought of people. Disregarding his mental state towards the end of his life, his general attitude should have added up to someone I really don't like, but nonetheless he remains one of my favourite bass players. Great, great bass player.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1252570' date='Jun 1 2011, 12:19 PM']Not sure about the John McLaughlin comment though. Early on (i.e. the Extrapolation album) he definitely swung, and if his rythmic feel changed later on it was probably a stylistic choice rather than a deficiency.[/quote]

Ditto his playing with Miles Davis on 'Jack Johnson' - swing city!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1252570' date='Jun 1 2011, 12:19 PM']Not sure about the John McLaughlin comment though. Early on (i.e. the Extrapolation album) he definitely swung, and if his rythmic feel changed later on it was probably a stylistic choice rather than a deficiency.[/quote]

And he was so much better for leaving swing behind. That whole swing feel is just so tired and done to death. His wild fusion feel of later years was so much better!

Bilbo, just want to say that this thread is great to see (despite it's rather raw subject matter).

There have been a lot of awfully boring threads popping up on basschat recently, but this is both relevant and engaging. First thread in a long time that has made me feel like my spare time (and lesson gaps) have been well spent!