Why become a member? ×

Sticky neck

obbm

The lacquered neck on my pre-EB Stingray has always felt sticky after playing it for a while. It's almost as if there is some form of polish or coating that's coming off. I want to use it in anger again so the problem needs fixing. Any recommendations as to how to clean it without damaging the mojo?

I'd also suggest a very light rub with finest steel wool and a dab of gun stock oil (Truoil is the stuff MM uses for its current oil necks). Dries very quickly and easy to maintain.

The other alternative, if its an old gloss laquer that still has some depth, is to give it a polish (car paint restorer, not wax polish..). It may come up shiny and hard...just depends what was originally applied and how much is left?

BB

[quote name='GreeneKing' date='Feb 20 2008, 07:31 PM' post='143937']
How about some scotchbrite grey pad rubbed over the back and some Truoil gunstock finish. The Scotchbrite is like 00 wire wool but doesn't leave any bits.
[/quote

+1 for Scotchbrite

The back of the neck on my 62 re-issue Jazz was lacquered and felt sticky. The advantage of Scotchbrite is that it is quite gentle and takes the shine off the lacquer without actually removing too much of it.