Why become a member? ×

Insomnia sucks... but on the plus side

Cyrene

Man I remember being there!... It gets easier :) And once the initial nerves wear off chances are you'll love actually interacting with other players, and you'll gain a lot of confidence too! Good luck mate!

EDIT: I still get nervous playing solo in front of other people sometimes :)

Edited by chrismuzz

Just remember to LISTEN!!!

You'll be nrevous & not wanting to make mistakes (nothing wrong with that) but don't forget to listen to wherever everyone else is.

This where going out & playing in jams/open nights scores, as you must listen to the other guys to keep your own place & space.

G.

We ve all been there.
Nerves are good as it makes you sharp. the trick is to turn nervousness into excitedness (if there is such a word)

To do that you need to replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts until you start feeling good about the rehearsal

Visualise yourself playing at rehearsal and enjoying the whole vibe. Watch your visualisation like a movie every day and it will build your positive thoughts. Visualise in colour and turn up the volume in your head. it will soon become your default minset.

Give it a go.

It works for me

[quote name='Bassman2000' post='1249976' date='May 30 2011, 10:23 AM']We ve all been there.
Nerves are good as it makes you sharp. the trick is to turn nervousness into excitedness (if there is such a word)

To do that you need to replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts until you start feeling good about the rehearsal

Visualise yourself playing at rehearsal and enjoying the whole vibe. Watch your visualisation like a movie every day and it will build your positive thoughts. Visualise in colour and turn up the volume in your head. it will soon become your default minset.

Give it a go.

It works for me[/quote]

+1

Visualisation is the way to go, big time!
Just make sure you warm up a little before you play and make sure you're sitting in the mix properly and, for gods sake, don't forget to have some fun, eh?

Truckstop

I've always found when joining new bands or jamming with friends after a break to keep it simple until you relax and feel more comfortable. By this point you will have a feel for the others in the band and the songs you've rehearsed.

Once you've relaxed you can start to add-lib slightly when the need arises (that's basically showing off when you realise you are better than the rest of the band and that bass players are far more intelligent than all other musicians anyway) :D

Once you've totally settled in you can let rip and give it the full blown show-off techniques that you've been practising on your own for so long. :) :lol: :P

More than likely the others will be just as nervous as you.

Most of all enjoy and have good fun.
If you can laugh at the rehearsal it gets so much easier.
At the end of the day that's what life is for - having fun and enjoying what we do.

All the very best and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers
Dave
:)