Why become a member? ×

Updated Family Shot -

Grand Wazoo

That's pretty sweet! Also me and my grabber are on the roto ad on the back of the issue of bass guitar mag behind your 51 P bass :). Out of curiosity, in your opinion which of the dingwalls has the most charactor?

[quote name='cocco' post='1255058' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:09 AM']That's pretty sweet! Also me and my grabber are on the roto ad on the back of the issue of bass guitar mag behind your 51 P bass :). Out of curiosity, in your opinion which of the dingwalls has the most charactor?[/quote]

Well that is a very difficult question. The ABII in redwood is the one I would say that has a very suited voice in every style of music you apply it to, mostly due to the types of wood used, i.e. walnut back, maple cap and redwood top, with the neck being a walnut one with a wenge fretboard, it all accounts for a very tasty mix of musical timbers. In addition the ABII also has a a chambered body (that means there's holes in it under the top!) designed to enhance the acoustic, and you really can tell how good that sound when you play it side by side with the ABZ.

The natural ash ABZ on the other hand, it's virtually all those things that the ABII is, minus the active preamp and yet as a passive instrument, is one of the most versatile I have ever played and the single responsible bass that made me perform a complete U-turn in life, going from an all Music Man stable to a totally Dingwall one. Yes that bass made me sell all my EBMM and realize what a great improvement both the fanned fret and that great neck, the light weight body meant to me, compared to MM's. Now these basses are a bit like Pringles, once you pop you can't stop! :lol: so after the ABZ, came the ABII and the Super J. (I am eyeing up a Lee Sklar sig. model, or a Z3 one next but I'll need to save untold cash for one of them)

The Super J (P/J) its in an all different ball park, and quite the unsuspecting monster (Dr.Jekyll / Mr Hyde), the scale is 35" and not 37" like the ABII/ABZ and the spacing at the bridge is also slightly wider 19mm instead of the 18mm on the ABII/ABZ, so in that respect, it results into a slight different playing approach in respect to the other two, sonically it starts from being an intentionally polite Fender-esque rendition bass, with very accurate P and J bass sounds [b]when played in passive, mind you[/b] but... here is the quirky thing: in active, the 2 band Glockenklang pre-amp transform this bass into a differently themed instrument, no longer a Fender tribute, but something entirely different. I have found that when in active if you play both pickups in parallel (not in series) you get a very powerful Bongo-like sound which to me was a nice surprise, I am sure Sheldon didn't mean that to be the result, but side by side with a Bongo you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in sound. And then when you use the two pickups together in series, all hell break loose as it boasts the most power out of this bass, infact more than I really can afford on my amps. It makes both my amps clip into a bit of crunchy distortion and you need to back the bass eq quite a bit and the volume for that matter, some people might like that but I prefer clean lines, I don't really use a distortion pedal in the music I play. So yeah once in active it does bring out the animal in this bass which is probably why they've called it the Super J. Love it! :)

I took all three of them to a basschatter I was visiting last weekend, "Juice" he was so impressed that his jaw needed locked back into place all the time I was there, he is now buying himself an ABZ after my visit. And that's about the size of it.

Cheers

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1256997' date='Jun 5 2011, 12:12 AM']Sure... here you go[/quote]

Drooooooooool! :)

I'm a sucker for block inlays, but there's just something truly magical about block inlays on a fanned neck.

Beautiful bass (and they do it in black!)... Someone stop me now!

[quote name='skej21' post='1257002' date='Jun 5 2011, 12:17 AM']Drooooooooool! :)

I'm a sucker for block inlays, but there's just something truly magical about block inlays on a fanned neck.

Beautiful bass (and they do it in black!)... Someone stop me now![/quote]

Yes they do it in black a-la Geddy Lee in fact a friend of mine who is also a BC'er has a very specially beautiful one and we took a few shots with all of them together as you can see below:

[quote name='skej21' post='1257251' date='Jun 5 2011, 12:23 PM']If (hypothetically, of course! :)) You wanted the Black J body and the maple neck with pearloid block inlays from the PJ together, would that cost a lot more?[/quote]

I don't think it'll cost more as the pearl block inlays upcharge is the same regardless, any official dealer can give you a quote

[quote name='cocco' post='1255058' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:09 AM']That's pretty sweet! Also me and my grabber are on the roto ad on the back of the issue of bass guitar mag behind your 51 P bass :)[/quote]

I've just seen that... Ashley Cocco, Ceasars Rome? Cocco translate as coconut in Italian, strange huh?

• 1 month later...