Why become a member? ×

Fretboard Radius Figures

spongebob

I've been window shipping at the MIM Fender 50's Precision. Just done some selling, so looking for something new.

I've recently acquired a Squier VM-P, and was looking for something similar, but maybe slightly better for recording, etc.

Swore I'll never buy high-end again, so this seems could be a compromise?? They seem to be well liked.

I sold a CV-P as I found the fretboard a little difficult - so looking at the specs here (before I even go looking I like to research online).

For the 50's - Fretboard Radius 184mm
Width At Nut 44.5mm

For My CV - Fretboard Radius 241mm
Width At Nut 41mm

Sorry for an idiotic question (only recently took notice of such things), but one is wider at the nut, but has a smaller fretboard radius. I thought wider at nut - bigger all round?

Could someone please explain this to me whilst I hide at the back of the class???

Regarding the nut width, a Jazz is 38mm, so are most 4 string Warwicks. Ps are wider with 44.5mm being the widest I believe, but there are three common widths for the P. Far too wide for me, Jazz is perfect. 44.5 nut width feels like you need a passport to get from string to string.

At the nut, standard Jazz width is 1.5" (38mm), standard Precision width was 1.75" (44mm) but changed, sometime in late 1960's I think, to 1.625" (41mm). My '62 reissue is 1.75". I like the wider nut but a lot of people don't - hence Nigel's passport comment. You need to try one.

On fingerboard radius, the higher the number then the flatter the fingerboard, the lower the number the more curved the fingerboard.

[quote name='silddx' post='1248535' date='May 28 2011, 06:53 PM']Regarding the nut width, a Jazz is 38mm, so are most 4 string Warwicks. Ps are wider with 44.5mm being the widest I believe, but there are three common widths for the P. Far too wide for me, Jazz is perfect. 44.5 nut width feels like you need a passport to get from string to string.[/quote]

I hate the taper on a Jazz; it feels totally wrong to me.

For most players there is a much bigger difference in feel between nut widths than there is between board radiuses (radii?). The 7.25 inch vintage Fender isn't massively different to the 10 inch modern Fender fayre or even 12 inch Gibby boards when measured over only 1.5 inches of a Jazz neck at the nut. I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers and have a play of each option, factors such as finish and radiused edges will have an equal, if not bigger impact.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Telebass' post='1259377' date='Jun 7 2011, 10:01 AM']I can never figure out why anyone finds any Precision neck too wide - it's the same, even at its widest, as a 6-string guitar...[/quote]

I just find the wider string spacing of a Precision less comfortable for playing than the closer string spacing found on a Jazz width neck.

Whilst I agree that a P neck is no wider than many 6 string guitar necks, the strings on a Jazz are closer together (maybe almost as close as the string spacings on a 6 string I guess) and I suppose that may be why some bass players say that Jazz necks are "faster" ? . . .

Ive got smallish hands and not particularly long fingers, so all other things being equal, I find playing fast difficult bass runs much easier on a fine Jazz neck than I would do on a fatter P neck.

Even when it comes to Jazz necks, they are not all the same and I much prefer the small finer shallow C shape ones to the fuller D shape ones. So as you can guess . . . wider P type necks are non starters for me out of choice. I like the fine shallow Jazz necks found on many MIJ models and I've always fancied trying a Geddy Lee as I expect I'd like that but never come across one to try yet ?

Its also true that I started playing Bass using a Jazz . . . it just felt right to me, right from the word go, so maybe now I'm just predisposed to like the feel of the shape that seemed to appeal to me in the first place.

The one argument that you dont hear quite so much about on these pages is the "Tone" argument ? . . In the 6 string guitar world there is a boat load of opinion suggesting, for example, that fat 50's style gibson necks give better "tone" than slim 60's gibson necks ? . . . . I've never been able to hear that difference in tone myself as I think there are so many other factors that have such a vastly bigger effect on tone ? . . but I guess every aspect of a guitar contributes a bit to its sound so maybe its relevant ? And I do know a couple of P players who swear blind that Jazzers lack the tone of a P because of their thinner necks ? . . . well . . . maybe ? . . but I cant hear it ! ! ! . . I would have thought it was mainly due to a different pickup in a different position ?

:)

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='famstd' post='1259238' date='Jun 7 2011, 03:13 AM']The board radius, and the measurement at the nut, for most players isn't as crucial as the overall shape of the neck itself.[/quote]
Particularly the depth (from the front face of the fretboard to the back of the neck. That's the deal breaker for many people.

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1259564' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:28 PM']I just find the wider string spacing of a Precision less comfortable for playing than the closer string spacing found on a Jazz width neck.

Whilst I agree that a P neck is no wider than many 6 string guitar necks, the strings on a Jazz are closer together (maybe almost as close as the string spacings on a 6 string I guess) and I suppose that may be why some bass players say that Jazz necks are "faster" ? . . .[/quote]

See, I always think of P & J string spacing as essentially the same. Why? Because to me the crucial string spacing is that at the bridge. My left hand adapts easier than my right.