Why become a member? ×

Your first bass.

chipmunk_jr

1978.Kay gibson EB copy. £40 from Woolworths,I bought it because it was broadly symmetrical and therefore easy to restring and play left handed.Awful awful thing with an action you could stick your fingers under.It may well still be in my parents loft.Replaced by a Columbus P copy which wasn't much better, but was at least left handed and looked the part.Which is definately in my loft.

My beloved Sunn Mustang P-copy, which was my mates. He got it for Xmas 1989 from his mum, I used to use it a lot when it was his (still mainly playing guitar back then) and eventually repossessed it off him in '96 for beer moneys owed. His Mum still doesn't know I've got it.
I still gig it, it's my favourite (after much hacking and slashing).

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1246467' date='May 26 2011, 11:44 PM']That TSB 400 looks very nice. I must not look for one on eBay.

Mine was a Kay

[/quote]
Ahhh... the 'other' Kay - not to be confused with the appalling plywood sh1te that also bore their logo & tainted the name forever. :)

Two things to know about the TSB.

1 - 32" scale
2 - Heavy enough to stop the QE2 wandering off in a force 10 gale.
The body is something called Nato (which is a type of Indonesian Mahogany) but Alan (ACG) Cringean christened it 'Granitewood' :) - According to the kitchen scales it's just shy of 11 lbs.

P.

Edited by Bloodaxe

My first ever bass was a Kay P-bass copy. I made comment that I wanted to play bass when I was about 18. My brother-in-law said he had this lying around his house. He gave the bass as a freebie however being a good guy I gave him a bottle of Gordons Gin in exchange.

I WAS ROBBED.

However I never really took up bass way back then, all I did was learn a few riffs and that was it.

Moving about 8years on I bought a vintage V940 as I got a new lease of life for learning bass. Lovely introduction to bass however again I still didnt bother learning it hahahaha.

Finally about 5 years on I started to learn bass. Got rid of the vintage and bought brand new my Jag.

• 2 weeks later...

Behold the monstrosity that was [url="http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]My First Bass![/url] :)

Old man bought it off a friend for me in 1982/3. It was strung with four different strings (including one blue nylon thing) and played like sh*te!
I ended up painting it black with some Dulux gloss. :)

A Top Twenty P type thing, short scale with a tele headstock. The pup stopped working after a while, so it got replaced by an Ibanez humbucker. The second bass was a Hondo 11 rick copy which didn't last too long. Third bass, bought in 1979 (£240, or 2 months wages) was a s/h Fender Precision in Oly white (?) which I still own and is still in a condition which would put many 2 or 3 year old basses to shame! I plan to be buried with it....