Why become a member? ×

What will be louder?

reggaemaster

In need of some advice! I have a GK mb-500 and a Epifani UL2 110 speaker, and it sounds great! But i need some more volume, and was wondering what would be louder, 2 Epi 110's or 1 GK 2x12? The 110's are both rated at 8ohms and so is the 2x12. The reason i ask is beacuse i will have one output from the amp to the cab for the 2x12 as oppose to two outputs for the 2 110's. Also any comments on difference in sound are welcomed. Thanks :-)

Volume is limited by the displacement of the drivers. The average twelve has more displacement than the average ten, so a 2x12 will usually have more output capability than two 1x10s. I say usually, as a particular ten may have more displacement than a particular twelve. Unfortunately manufacturers won't tell you what the displacement is of the drivers they use.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1242342' date='May 23 2011, 10:02 PM']Volume is limited by the displacement of the drivers. The average twelve has more displacement than the average ten, so a 2x12 will usually have more output capability than two 1x10s. I say usually, as a particular ten may have more displacement than a particular twelve. Unfortunately manufacturers won't tell you what the displacement is of the drivers they use.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, but will the fact that there is more power running to the the 2 110's make any difference?

Hmmm. The two Epis will equal 4 ohms, so as the amp is 500 watts at 4 ohms you`ll have the max power available.

With the GK cab at 8 ohms, you`ll get 350 watts. From what I`ve read on similar posts on here, that isn`t really going to make that much of a difference.

However, the sensitivity of the cabs will play a major part here. If the GK has a higher db sensitivity rating, coupled with larger surface area, this could well be the louder option.

Epis are 99db. GKs, depending on which model are either 100db or 101db.

Am sure the really technical guys will be able to offer better advice, based on the figures above. At this point, my brain gives out.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1242364' date='May 23 2011, 10:12 PM']Hmmm. The two Epis will equal 4 ohms, so as the amp is 500 watts at 4 ohms you`ll have the max power available.

With the GK cab at 8 ohms, you`ll get 350 watts. From what I`ve read on similar posts on here, that isn`t really going to make that much of a difference.

However, the sensitivity of the cabs will play a major part here. If the GK has a higher db sensitivity rating, coupled with larger surface area, this could well be the louder option.

Epis are 99db. GKs, depending on which model are either 100db or 101db.

Am sure the really technical guys will be able to offer better advice, based on the figures above. At this point, my brain gives out.[/quote]

Cheers for the reply! Yeah, to be honest it sounds like it's gonna be a pretty close run thing... hmmm some more pondering is in order me thinks!

If you can try the cabs out, do so. You might prefer the sound of the ones with less overall loudness & I dare say either pair are gonna be more than loud enough for anything before the band need PA support.

The gk one is definitely the loudest :)

Honestly I couldn't give you the maths behind it and it would seem the 4ohm option would give more power,I run mine at 8ohms @ 350 watts and I'm never past 12 o'clock on my amp,and basically it's very very loud!

[quote name='reggaemaster' post='1242353' date='May 23 2011, 05:07 PM']Thanks for the info, but will the fact that there is more power running to the the 2 110's make any difference?[/quote]Not if they lack the displacement to use it. The average ten runs out of excursion at about 100 watts.
[quote]Epis are 99db. GKs, depending on which model are either 100db or 101db[/quote]Only in the imaginations of their respective advertising department schlockmeisters. :)

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='JTUK' post='1242601' date='May 24 2011, 08:34 AM']I really wouldn't be thinking I'd get 500watts of bass out of a 2x10.
If you want to run that volume..you want to be thinking of 2x210..IMO.[/quote]

Or, as markstuk suggested, a BFB super 12.