Why become a member? ×

*Trades invited - what you got??* All original 1977 Guild B-301 fretless black FS/FT

gareth1982

Looks like this is back up for sale/trade

Here is my 1977 Guild B-301 fretless bass. It's been used as you can see, so it does have the odd ding and chip here and there; having said that, it is almost 35 so it's older than me and it is actually in better nick! It plays and sounds like a dream. It will only increase in value. The only thing that's not original is the truss rod cover. It was missing when I got it, and a shaped piece of plastic is there in its place. There is no case with it. The worst of the chips/wear (where the mahogany shows through but isn't damaged) are on the back of the neck and around the edges of the body. Ive showed this in the pictures. Of course, they are only superficial. The front and back of the body are virtually perfect

So why aren't I keeping it? Simply because I'm not good enough to play fretless to a good enough standard for me to be happy with. Simple as that.

if you have a decent FRETTED bass, ie a stingray or a USAc jazz or marcus miller jazz or something along those lines, that you were thinking of trading, I may be interested in that. Please email me to tell me what you have got.

Straight sale [b]NOW 520[/b] (which is cheaper than some recent ones I've seen on ebay.)

PICS HERE [url="http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/gareth12345678/"]http://s1130.photobu...gareth12345678/[/url]

Edited by gareth1982

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1249532' date='May 29 2011, 07:14 PM']yes, i put it up to try and generate some interest (it had been on here for a week or so previously though), but i've been away for a few days and wouldn;t be able to reply to the messages and couldn't cope with the daft offers of 'i'll swap you for my squier jazz' etc, so I pulled it. Got back today so I bumped it back up on here.

Cheers[/quote]
Thought there couldn't be too many fretless Guild 301 basses about! :)

I've only ever seen one other; on ebay actually about 18 months ago. The guy had done a video of him playing it etc. He was aking about 900 quid for it if I remember correctly, although it was in really really good condition. Don't know whether it sold in the end. I've got a fretted one of these and I love it, and this is just as good (but I'm not good enough to play fretless to a standard I'm happy with!)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had seen one of these up for sale. :)

Have a free bump for a lovely bass.

I've got one with black tape strings.

Lovely tone - Very old school - Very rare.

Good luck.

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/12/guild-b301-f.html"]Guild B301-F[/url]

:)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='headofire' post='1313884' date='Jul 23 2011, 03:19 PM']What would you be interested in for trades mate? what kind of thing are you into?[/quote]

Hi there. Thanks for your message. A nice USA jazz 4 or 5, or a nice USA precision with a maple neck. Or a 4 string stingray would be right up my street....I'm open to suggestions as well....what you got?

Edited by gareth1982

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1241265' date='May 23 2011, 10:12 AM']Here is my 1977 Guild B-301 fretless bass. It's been used as you can see, so it does have the odd ding and chip here and there; having said that, it is almost 35 so it's older than me and it is actually in better nick! It plays and sounds like a dream. It will only increase in value. The only thing that's not original is the truss rod cover. It was missing when I got it, and a shaped piece of plastic is there in its place. There is no case with it. The worst of the chips/wear (where the mahogany shows through but isn't damaged) are on the back of the neck and around the edges of the body. Ive showed this in the pictures. Of course, they are only superficial. The front and back of the body are virtually perfect

So why aren't I keeping it? Simply because I'm not good enough to play fretless to a good enough standard for me to be happy with. Simple as that.

if you have a decent FRETTED bass, ie a stingray or a high spec jazz or marcus miller jazz or something along those lines, that you were thinking of trading, I may be interested in that. Please email me to tell me what you have got.

Straight sale 550 (which is cheaper than some recent ones I've seen on ebay.)

PICS HERE [url="http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/gareth12345678/"]http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/gareth12345678/[/url][/quote]
Hi Gareth, new to this but do you have a Guild 302 for sale ? cheers, john

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1337131' date='Aug 11 2011, 11:22 PM']Hi mate. I have a b-302 but I'm not selling it.

Cheers[/quote]

Hi Gareth, thanks for reply, if you ever change your mind !!!
LoL, dont blame you, cheers, john

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='gareth1982' timestamp='1321905836' post='1444344']
Cheers Luke. Yea, the one in the link has been doing the rounds on ebay over the last few months; I think it was up at about 800 quid! I am surprised this one of mine is still here as I think the price is bang on, and it's a quality instrument and a definite investment. It's had 3000 views!

I'm not struggling for cash or anything at the moment, so I'm not too worried about selling it, but for some reason I am hankering after a USA Jazz and the mrs would go mad at me spending yet more money on another bass! So yes people, USA Jazz/similar trades invited.

Cheers
[/quote]

they started the price in the shop way higher than that! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a B302A (active). It was without doubt one of the nicest and most unique basses I have ever owned. I'm gutted that, in my naive youth, I sold it in favour of a Japenese Squier Jazz. If this 301 was fretted, I would be so tempted. No need for a fretless at the moment.

I never knew they made an active version. I have a passive fretted b-302 and it's lovely. I actually gigged it the other week for the first time. I usually just stick to my precision for gigs, but it sounded immense.

I wish I could do this fretless justice, but I can't. I sound awful on it , but it sounds lovely! I'd love a USA jazz or a Marcus miller jazz or a 4 string ray. I might just pull it and stick it under the bed though because its been on here for well over 6 months now. Had loads of interest yet it's still here. I don't understand why.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...