Why become a member? ×

1 high end bass or 3 good basses for same dough?

At a pub gig in Aberdeen, the drummer, in my brother-in-law's band (my B in law is the singer and guitarist) hit the bass player over the head with his vintage 1975 Stratocaster and destroyed it beyond recognition (it didn't do much for the bass player either who ended up in hospital for the next six days).
Now he plays a Squier when he plays dodgy venues or with psychopathic musicians.

I've never got this idea that some gigs are too risky to take your expensive gear to.

Unless your instrument has a big well-known name on the headstock no-one is going to know what it is or even vaguely how much more than the well known name it is potentially worth.

I've played all sorts of gigs in all sorts of places over the last 20 years with my high-end gear (Gus, Overwater, Sei) without any problems.

Any place where I thought that there might be a danger that my instrument would be stolen or badly damaged I would also consider that my person was in danger too and therefore I wouldn't be playing there at all.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1240064' date='May 22 2011, 10:02 AM']I've never got this idea that some gigs are too risky to take your expensive gear to.

Unless your instrument has a big well-known name on the headstock no-one is going to know what it is or even vaguely how much more than the well known name it is potentially worth.

I've played all sorts of gigs in all sorts of places over the last 20 years with my high-end gear (Gus, Overwater, Sei) without any problems.

Any place where I thought that there might be a danger that my instrument would be stolen or badly damaged I would also consider that my person was in danger too and therefore I wouldn't be playing there at all.[/quote]

yeah true ,
just sort of been cross lately will the boys in the band too walking about the stage etc setting up and setting down ,
looks like ill be going for better cabs anyways now.
!!!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1240064' date='May 22 2011, 10:02 AM']Any place where I thought that there might be a danger that my instrument would be stolen or badly damaged I would also consider that my person was in danger too and therefore I wouldn't be playing there at all.[/quote]

Totally agree. Why buy an expensive bass and leave it at home? If the majority of your music is played in a live situation, surely you want to play it live with the best bass you can get? If you like expensive basses (as you clearly do) then so be it. They are only instruments (i.e. tools) at the end of the day. They are made to be played, not to be collected.

In the same way, it always confuses me that some people "collect" wine, rather than hoying it doon their necks...

Gig with a cheap bass that you are not happy with and your performance will suffer. You just won't feel it or believe in it as much as you would with your favourite instrument. Not that a bass needs to be silly money to sound good or play well of course...

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1240078' date='May 22 2011, 10:15 AM']looks like ill be going for better cabs anyways now.
!!![/quote]

They'll only be "better" if they suit you and your sound more. Trace cabs are good enough for most situations and in some ways the search for the perfect amplification rig is even more complex than the search for the perfect bass!

Ive been in the same position before...I opted for 2 fantastic basses instead of one high end custom.

I think when it gets to the details, unless you want very exotic woods or something damn right different, then you don't need to spend more than £1500 or so.

I think Trace gear is pretty damn high end. Which 400SMX is that?

It's not lightweight, no, but it sounds very good, and is built well.

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1240078' date='May 22 2011, 10:15 AM']yeah true ,
just sort of been cross lately will the boys in the band too walking about the stage etc setting up and setting down ,
looks like ill be going for better cabs anyways now.
!!![/quote]
In which case you should probably consider only have your bass(es) out of their cases/gig bags when you are playing them.

Maybe a high end bass that you won't worry about getting a few dings on? I mean, looking at all the basses in your profile picture, they're the sort of thing that I'd be terrified of getting a scratch or a chip or something on. When I built myself a custom bass I specifically went for a style that I thought "I won't mind too much if it gets a few dings on it, it's there to be played". Maybe a custom built sunburst jazz or something? It'll play and sound like a high end bass, but look like a Fender so you wont mind the odd ding that you're probably going to get on a regularly gigged bass.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1238985' date='May 21 2011, 09:02 AM']Sometimes a high end bass arrives eventually (they usually take ages to build) but it doesn't quite hit the spot... you need to understand very clearly what you like in a bass before you order. A highly personalized bass might not resell for as much as you paid if you decide you really don't like it.

But if you get it right it might be the only bass you ever play.

Buying a few cheaper basses and tinkering might be more fun in the long run, plus I've never found just one bass that covers everything I want to play.[/quote]

+1

Was bitten by that one. I'm only going off the shelf from now on. Plus they retain their value better.