Why become a member? ×

73' Fender Jazz sounds a bit thin?

Guest markinthegreen

[quote name='markinthegreen' post='1236848' date='May 19 2011, 12:36 PM']One thing i forgot to mention is the tone knob, There does not seem to be that much scope to it, rolled up full or down doesn't change the sound a great deal? this is bothering me a hugely when recording. Is this a common trait to a early 70's bass?[/quote]

this is very easily resolved, alot of the 70's jazzes had 0.033mf or even 0.022mf ceramic capacitors fitted to the tone pot so when rolled off not alot of top came off as you said! if this is the case simply put a 0.047mf ceramic capacitor in to replace the existing one!
most jazzes today have the 0.047mf cap as standard and it's alot more usable.
certainly wouldn't wack a J-Retro in a 73 .. sacrilege! :)

Edited by EddyGlee

[quote name='EddyGlee' post='1238010' date='May 20 2011, 11:49 AM']certainly wouldn't wack a J-Retro in a 73 .. sacrilege! :)[/quote]

I must admit that I don't really understand this argument. Like many, I would love a vintage Fender. However, I would then be happy to make some non-intrusive mods so it plays and sounds as good as it can be - and then go out and enjoy playing it!

I think that collectors can get a bit anal about the value of instruments as an investment - I mean, even a pre-cbs would not give you enough to retire on would it?

[quote name='Heathy' post='1238362' date='May 20 2011, 04:30 PM']I must admit that I don't really understand this argument. Like many, I would love a vintage Fender. However, I would then be happy to make some non-intrusive mods so it plays and sounds as good as it can be - and then go out and enjoy playing it!

I think that collectors can get a bit anal about the value of instruments as an investment - I mean, even a pre-cbs would not give you enough to retire on would it?[/quote]

suppose you gotta ask yourself why you'd love a vintage fender then? .. why not get one that has a pre-amp as standard if thats what you want!

I arn't a collector, and it's not a value thing with me as I agree an Instrument should be played .. I just think they sound perfect as standard and thats why I'd play one .. if i wanted to change the sound then I'd want something else wouldn't I ?

[quote name='Heathy' post='1238362' date='May 20 2011, 04:30 PM']I must admit that I don't really understand this argument. Like many, I would love a vintage Fender. However, I would then be happy to make some non-intrusive mods so it plays and sounds as good as it can be - and then go out and enjoy playing it!

I think that collectors can get a bit anal about the value of instruments as an investment - I mean, even a pre-cbs would not give you enough to retire on would it?[/quote]

I see your point, but if you're buying a vintage Fender as a working bass, why spend that much money if you're not already completely happy with the sound? And if you're buying as an investment, why not do as much as you can to retain/enhance its value?

Ok, I've posted this before a few times. Right, on a Jazz when both pups are selected, you have a Humbucker, now if one pup is wired the wrong way round it will sound thin, unsolder one pup and swap the wires around and see if it gets more alive, if not then you have a problem as others have posted.
Or you have bought my old 73, if so I feel sorry for you as this was the deadest Fender I ever played, although it didn't sound thin, just dead.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1238007' date='May 20 2011, 11:47 AM']Presumably you have to unsolder the original electrics? That counts as a mod to some collectors.[/quote]
It may do, but they don't seem to notice the G string nearly falling off the fingerboard on almost all the three bolts I've seen.

Anyway, the guy loves his bass and wants to play it, not sell it. A little unsoldering and re-soldering when it comes to sell won't bother most people. Only a picky git would really care and would you want to sell your bass to a picky git? I wouldn't. Next thing you know they're calling you about a tiny scratch you failed to mention in your ebay listing.

There is no point owning a bass you're not happy with.

My thinking is that maybe the pickups need a rewind. That's a BIG 'mod'.

[quote name='EddyGlee' post='1238429' date='May 20 2011, 05:14 PM']suppose you gotta ask yourself why you'd love a vintage fender then? .. why not get one that has a pre-amp as standard if thats what you want!

I arn't a collector, and it's not a value thing with me as I agree an Instrument should be played .. I just think they sound perfect as standard and thats why I'd play one .. if i wanted to change the sound then I'd want something else wouldn't I ?[/quote]
I'm sorry mate, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Anyone who says Fenders sound great just as they probably have been bloody lucky. Fenders are more diverse in their characters than dogs. Some, including recent ones can be downright sh*te. Some of the rubbish I've played in Vintage and Rare beggars belief. The beauty of a Fender is that when you get a good one they can be so lovely and organic. I'll never buy one again.

[quote name='silddx' post='1238785' date='May 20 2011, 10:20 PM']I'm sorry mate, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Anyone who says Fenders sound great just as they probably have been bloody lucky. Fenders are more diverse in their characters than dogs. Some, including recent ones can be downright sh*te. Some of the rubbish I've played in Vintage and Rare beggars belief. The beauty of a Fender is that when you get a good one they can be so lovely and organic. I'll never buy one again.[/quote]

I respect your point of view completely silddx :) but your not wholeheartedly disagreeing with me here!!
you've decided you don't like them, given your reasons and said you will not buy another one .. my point exactly!
.. why buy something you don't like or doesn't sound right to you .. then try change it?, try been the operative word!

I agree Fenders are diverse in sound .. which is no bad thing, find one you like.
I understand there are lots of people out there blind with fashion who want a old Fender because it's cool, and it maybe more important that there friends say WOW you gotta 69 Fender!(which is fine by the way if thats what you want) but deep down they don't like what they sound like, so they try to change it! .. the truth is you cannot change what is sonically inherent in an instrument however hard you try! people just think you can! and continue to mod and eq .. etc, only to ever achieve a masking of what is fundamentally there and always will be. So my point is .. if your not happy with the sonic property of a Bass acoustically then preamps won't do it for you! ask any luthier worth his salt (Mike Tobias springs to mind)
love em or hate em .. they've worked for me everytime for over 30 years, they've been perfect for me as standard.
If they wasn't and I wanted the sound of a Warwick I would sell the Fender and get a Warwick for sure and save loads of money and maybe take the family to Disney World :)

much love brother silddx x

[quote name='EddyGlee' post='1239302' date='May 21 2011, 01:39 PM']I respect your point of view completely silddx :) but your not wholeheartedly disagreeing with me here!!
you've decided you don't like them, given your reasons and said you will not buy another one .. my point exactly!
.. why buy something you don't like or doesn't sound right to you .. then try change it?, try been the operative word!

I agree Fenders are diverse in sound .. which is no bad thing, find one you like.
I understand there are lots of people out there blind with fashion who want a old Fender because it's cool, and it maybe more important that there friends say WOW you gotta 69 Fender!(which is fine by the way if thats what you want) but deep down they don't like what they sound like, so they try to change it! .. the truth is you cannot change what is sonically inherent in an instrument however hard you try! people just think you can! and continue to mod and eq .. etc, only to ever achieve a masking of what is fundamentally there and always will be. So my point is .. if your not happy with the sonic property of a Bass acoustically then preamps won't do it for you! ask any luthier worth his salt (Mike Tobias springs to mind)
love em or hate em .. they've worked for me everytime for over 30 years, they've been perfect for me as standard.
If they wasn't and I wanted the sound of a Warwick I would sell the Fender and get a Warwick for sure and save loads of money and maybe take the family to Disney World :lol:

much love brother silddx x[/quote]

All very fair points mate :)

In fact, I really like a great Fender Jazz, but they don't sound right for me, and they have too few frets for some of what I do. I bought an immense Jap Fender Jazz recently because I needed to relieve an almighty itch. I sold it two months later to a guy who adores it and I have no itch left. I've done it. I got a cheap Hohner headless yesterday and it is a peach! 24 frets, D-Tuner, active, great action, great build, ergonomic, light as feather, totally stable tuning, highly portable, seldom seen in the wild .. Everything most Fenders aren't. It's not a very exciting bass, but the music I make on it is, and while I completely understand GAS and regularly suffer from it, I think the perceived need for a Fender, especially an old one, is irrational with most people.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1239382' date='May 21 2011, 03:15 PM']I got a cheap Hohner headless yesterday and it is a peach! 24 frets, D-Tuner, active, great action, great build, ergonomic, light as feather, totally stable tuning, highly portable, seldom seen in the wild .. Everything most Fenders aren't. It's not a very exciting bass, but the music I make on it is, and while I completely understand GAS and regularly suffer from it, I think the perceived need for a Fender, especially an old one, is irrational with most people.[/quote]

They make some really nice stuff, Hohner. The Jack I had, apart from a slightly temperamental neck, was a great bass; comfortable, nice sounding & playing.

Hi.

I have a '72 and my friend has a '72.
Mine sounds like it has got magic in it - my friend, who gigs it almost every week and
has had it from new, found his sound was getting thinner and thinner over the last four years.
Turns out his neck pick-up was on its way out.
He has now got a pair of Wizard 64's (he's a player and isn't bothered about keeping it original)
and is over the moon with it.

As posted above, might be worth getting the output checked over.

Andy at Wizard offers an excellent service, repairs and replacements.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/"]Wizard[/url]

Cheers. :)

A friend of mine has John Entwhistle's old 72 Jazz, he's had it for over 20 years. It's a bit beat up, but the maple pearll B&B board and neck are in excellent condition. The neck socket is too big, it has non-original pups and an XLR for a jack. I played it yesterday in fact, it sounds big, the action is a bit high and although I didn't amplify it, he assures me it sounds massive.

Unfortunately the 73 isn't going to sound like the 75, but on its own does it sound good and play well?

Welcome to the world of Fender. They had no consistency in the 70's, which is why the replacement parts market sprang up. Every one was trying to make the "other Fenders" sound as good as the "good" ones.

You can mod this bass (I modded mine because things broke and wore out) but you will not own a 100% vintage Fender any more, which is presumably why you bought this bass in the first place. Your call.