Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bogart SKC 5 string

RhysP

Got this last week & it's awesome:

Early/mid 90's model.
Carbon Fibre bolt-on neck (34" scale), wood/foam cored composite body, Bartolini's, Noll three band active pre-amp, Steinberger type tuning system & a small headstock with string clamps so you can use any type of string.

It balances beautifully & plays & sounds great - the passive mode (push/pull volume pot) sounds so good I can't see me ever using the active circuit but it's nice to have it there.
The neck is just SO good. After a few false starts I think this is the one to finally convert me to the ways of the 5 string.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1234450' date='May 17 2011, 03:42 PM']string spacing looks wide, what is it?[/quote]
Just by looking at it & playing it I'd assumed it was about 19mm - I've just measured it however & it's only 16mm at the bridge.
Very surprised at that.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1239197' date='May 21 2011, 12:02 PM']Interesting looking beastie!

Does it have a phenolic or wood fingerboard?[/quote]
Phenolic.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1239197' date='May 21 2011, 12:02 PM']Does it have a truss rod or is it rock solid like an early Status?[/quote]
No truss rod.
It is indeed rock solid & one of the nicest necks I've ever played, quite wide but incredibly thin front to back.

[quote]Interesting approach to the double ball end problem.[/quote]
It also gets rid of the old "can't put a headless bass on a wall mounted hanger" problem! :)

[quote name='RhysP' post='1239398' date='May 21 2011, 03:34 PM']Phenolic.

No truss rod.
It is indeed rock solid & one of the nicest necks I've ever played, quite wide but incredibly thin front to back.

It also gets rid of the old "can't put a headless bass on a wall mounted hanger" problem! :)[/quote]

Cool! I can take 5 of the 6 strings off my old Series 1 and the remaining string is still completely in tune, no neck movement at all.

Enjoy your new bass!

• 1 year later...

Damn, thats a nice Bogart right there !

I had a few myself, and I still own a single coil equipped 4 stringer, and a Humbucker equipped 5 stringer.

These Basses are probably the most underrated basses out there.
Whatever you heard about graphite necks and graphite bodies, it's not true with this bass, since it sounds so "woody", right ?

[quote name='green' timestamp='1337853014' post='1666296']
Damn, thats a nice Bogart right there !

I had a few myself, and I still own a single coil equipped 4 stringer, and a Humbucker equipped 5 stringer.

These Basses are probably the most underrated basses out there.
Whatever you heard about graphite necks and graphite bodies, it's not true with this bass, since it sounds so "woody", right ?
[/quote]

Yes, it's a great bass. I've actually moved it on now as at the time I'd pretty much decided to stick to four strings.

Incredibly high standard of build and finish, and as you say a very warm sound for an all composite instrument.

It was for sale in the Gallery in Camden earlier this year - don't know if it's still there or not.