Why become a member? ×

Sticking some LaBella flats on my Sterling...

warwickhunt

Just about to chuck a new set of La Bella flats on my Sterling but I've a niggling feeling that I've heard that there is something about the mass of the big heavy flats and the power/magnet construction of the Sterling pup that makes it a bad mix; anyone have any experience?

I accept that tone is subjective so I'm not on about flats v rounds or one brand v another, it's a simple case of is there a reason why they shouldn't work together and does anyone run a Sterling with big flats on it? :)

Hello,I have flats on everything now,started with Ti's on the fretless but found them a bit slack & moved on to d'addario chromes,and as I had a spare set I tried them on Rita (45-100's) , for me they sound ace, great range of tones available, never gets muddy or lost in the mix,that's all I have tried on the sterling & they certainly work for me, good tension plus I can get a low action without rattles (I'm a soft plucker as well). Just as an aside I put a set of chromes on the old thumb & it didn't work for me at all, put the old Ti's on & I'm back in love with the wick again,all the best, mike .

Edited by wrinkleygit

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1233651' date='May 16 2011, 09:19 PM']Just about to chuck a new set of La Bella flats on my Sterling but I've a niggling feeling that I've heard that there is something about the mass of the big heavy flats and the power/magnet construction of the Sterling pup that makes it a bad mix; anyone have any experience?

I accept that tone is subjective so I'm not on about flats v rounds or one brand v another, it's a simple case of is there a reason why they shouldn't work together and does anyone run a Sterling with big flats on it? :)[/quote]
I know nothing about Sterlings but I can't see that problem. If the magnet was so powerful that it prevented the string from vibrating then lower the pickup.

Anyway, you could try La Bella 760FL (light guage) or even 760FX (extra light).

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1233729' date='May 16 2011, 10:08 PM']I know nothing about Sterlings but I can't see that problem. If the magnet was so powerful that it prevented the string from vibrating then lower the pickup.

Anyway, you could try La Bella 760FL (light guage) or even 760FX (extra light).[/quote]
I've got a set of the big old ship's hawsers in the draw so I'm putting them on tomorrow night.

As I say I just seem to recall reading somewhere that either the magnet material and/or the density of the strings were a bad/strange mix. I'm aware that I can drop the pup height to compensate but I'm assuming that where-ever I read about the issue then they would have tried that. No big deal I'm going to stick them on now any way but if there was a documented issue I'd have had second thoughts and put them on a different bass (sadly not the Bolin as that just snaps G string flats :) ).

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1233787' date='May 16 2011, 11:00 PM']Flats work wonders on EBMM basses....soon all of mine bar one will have flats.[/quote]
As I say, iirc it was specific to the magnet material in the Sterling (as opposed to the Ray) but I suppose the Big AL has the same magnet material as the Sterling

I've had Rotosound and TI flats on my Sterling - definitley preferred the sound and feel of the TI flats but it was just personal preference. The Rotos didn't sound bad, the TIs just sounded better.

I can't think of a reason why heavier flats would be 'wrong'.

Ive only used EB Group III Flats with my MMs...not the La Bellas.

I havent personally heard anything about the magnet pull, but Im not expert on these matters.

The EB flats are great, im very impressed with them.

I know quite a few Big Al owners use flats, and they have neo magnets.

My Sterling has got TI flats on. It's fabulous! I love the clickiness and weird sizzle that the pup/preamp give the strings. Great sound played with a pick, very good in the mix fingerstyle too. I find that the flats complement the instrument rather well.

Have you put them on yet, John?

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='1234961' date='May 17 2011, 09:39 PM']Well ????????????????????????????????????????????[/quote]
Sounds sweet in the house through my house amp, can't wait to get it up to volume with the band. My memory must be going though because I do seem to recall that these heavy (109) LaBellas were higher tension but these feel fine! :)