Why become a member? ×

pickup buzzing

Kev

i seem to have a lot of threads in here lately :)

the e/drop d string on my p bass now causes a nasty buzzing sound to come though the amp when i attack it hard. it does it with no other string, and sound worse if i boost the volume/bass with my aguilar preamp. iv checked connections and changed battery n that, n everything seems fine, so im thinking rather than the preamp, it is my emg pickup?? this has suddenly started happening. iv tried adjusting the height of the p pickup, the lower it is, the less the buzz but even when its pretty much as low as it can go, it can still be heard, any ideas what the hell this is?? seems little things keep goin wrong with my guitars at the moment, pissing me off :huh:

yes iv checked the obvious

no i cant hear the noise unplugged, its very obviousy an electricaly buzzy sound

no i havnt tried it through a different amp, however i di'd it to some other speakers, and it still made the noise

Kev, I'm struggling with this one without examining the bass.. I cant see it being the pup as its not somting that they normallt do. it could have a loose pole piece but arent the EMGs sealed?

Im wondering if its a pre amp problem.... Or an amp problem.

You need to try the bass thru another amp to eliminate the amp, and then start looking into the pre amp onboard.

It's a strange problem.

Do you have another E-string you could swap in (even an old one) ? It would be worth trying that just to eliminate the string itself from the problem.

Does it happen all all notes played hard on the E-string or just some notes. I'm wondering if there's some resonance problem somewhere ?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='143417' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:08 PM']its any note on e string, at extreme boosts on the preamp, in can happen on all string

as i said, the fact it still happened when i ran it through recording and speakers shows its not the amp[/quote]
Is the key here "at extreme boosts on the preamp"???

Just a thought, maybe you're clipping the preamp, nothing more exciting than that.

changed string, no effect

preamp is the aguilar obp-2 model, bass/treble stack knob, and a volume for each pickup

bass is flat, treble half boosted, volume of precision about 3oclock, jazz about 9oclock

if i boost the bass at all, the buzzing greatly greatly increases

Really difficult to debug this problem without hands on.

You're settings on the bass seem ok - not at all excessive.

What happens if you turn down the input gain and volume on the amp so that the amp is set very low. Can you still hear the noise now ? (trying to rule out the amp being overdriven here).

If you can still hear it with the input gain on the amp set low, then I'd be looking at either the E-string itself (still a possibility) or a problem with the preamp.

I assume you're plugging directly into the amp with no FX in the signal chain ?

And I know you've replaced the battery but are you happy the battery is a good one ? (have to be sure on this one)

battery is a procell at the moment, full, and iv tried with others to be sure

sound is always audibly, no matter how low the amp settings are, and, again, iv said that it happens when i record too, so its not the amp
and yes i changed the string, to no effect

i still really get the feelin its the p pickup, as i said when i llower the pickup, the buzzing significantly reduces, but even lowered as far as it will go, its still there

• 2 weeks later...

nah there isnt one

reason i dont think its the preamp is that i aint askin much of it at all, i have the treble/bass practically flat, and the p pickup volume 3/4 and the jazz 1/3, that shouldnt overload any preamp

Edited by BassManKev