Why become a member? ×

In case anyone was interested in the Tech 21 VT Bass 1969 head ...

Clarky

I enquired from Tech 21's UK distributors about when the VT Bass 1969 head (a 300W amp containing VT Bass functionality) was going to reach the UK and got the following reply:

"I am sorry but since new EC regulations (RoHS & WEE) were introduced, and Tech 21 Bass Amplifiers do not comply, we are mot permitted to import any models of their integrated Bass Amplifiers. The RBI Bass Preamp however is available - this could be used in conjunction with any power amp, recording or sound reinforcement set-up."

If Euphonic Audio, Aguilar and other smaller US manufacturers can make their products Europe-compliant why can't Tech 21? I have already suggested in another thread they have missed a massive trick by not making a Sansamp-equipped Class D micro head and this makes me think the company needs some fresh thinking.

It does seem crazy not to make it compliant with the local requirements of all the biggest musical markets in the world.... very short sighted in my view...

Still a VT bass pedal or two in front of decent poweramp should do the same....

Very strange. Does it have anything to do with the lack of speakons?

I know Genz are very hot on the use of Speakons...

Bit of a shame. Tech 21 make amazing pedals/pre amps....all they need is to make a micro 500W and perhaps even a 900W version and they will absolutely fly off the shelves.

Or, as per the Talkbass thread, the very slim rack-pre VT for those wanting to use a poweramp.

Im still waiting for Version 2 of the VT Bass to hit the UK.

Crikey - they've had nearly 5 years warning that this was coming!

If they're already registered for WEEE then they just follow the same process in place for recycling kit that they use for their other items, with a sub process in place to handle any RoHS failures.

To me, common sense kinda dictates that they'd be using the same assembly methods and component types on the RoHS cleared stuff, obviously not in the case of the VT 1969 - I wonder what 'nasties' they have on their PCBs that they can't find an RoHS approved alternative for... :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1233210' date='May 16 2011, 04:08 PM']Very strange. Does it have anything to do with the lack of speakons?[/quote]

Nope.

RoHS is [u][b]R[/b][/u]estriction of the Use [u][b]o[/b][/u]f Certain [u][b]H[/b][/u]azardous [u][b]S[/b][/u]ubstances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment.
It's to control lead, cadmium, mercury, PBBs and other nasties from getting into the environment through waste dumps.

The WEEE directive (The [u][b]W[/b][/u]aste [u][b]E[/b][/u]lectrical and [u][b]E[/b][/u]lectronic [u][b]E[/b][/u]quipment Directive) is simply to force manufacturers to recycle their equipment when it comes to the end of its usable life.

Edited by icastle

V2s already landed. They have it at effectpowersupply.com. (im not affiliated). Already got mine on my board but havent payed wiyh the defeat really.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1233210' date='May 16 2011, 04:08 PM']Very strange. Does it have anything to do with the lack of speakons?

I know Genz are very hot on the use of Speakons...

Bit of a shame. Tech 21 make amazing pedals/pre amps....all they need is to make a micro 500W and perhaps even a 900W version and they will absolutely fly off the shelves.

Or, as per the Talkbass thread, the very slim rack-pre VT for those wanting to use a poweramp.

Im still waiting for Version 2 of the VT Bass to hit the UK.[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1233367' date='May 16 2011, 06:16 PM']I wonder why they ignored it?![/quote]

Maybe they're looking at replacing it with something else and the cost of retooling the production line and buying in RoHS compliant components was too high for the life left in the product?

[quote name='markstuk' post='1233369' date='May 16 2011, 06:17 PM']Or they bought a stock of pre RoHS components cheap and are still using them...[/quote]

Doubt it's that - any non RoHS compliant components would go into items destined for outside the EU market.