Why become a member? ×

Which Squier Bass will complement & serve as a backup to my G & L L200?

mashup

[size=3]So. I have a USA G & L L2000 which i love to bits. It can dial in a range of wonderful tones as you may well know from experience, or not :).

I am currrently in the market for a backup bass guitar that will provide additional tonal options to my already extensive G & L sound palette.

I want a passive bass & i dont really want to spend too much. I have heard great things about the Squier Vintage Modified & Classic Vibe series bass guitars & so i am looking into getting a model in their lineup.

It is all about tone - that is all im interested in really, however, i do really love the look of the CV 50's P bass cosmetically, but, again, looks are secondary to tone.

So what bass guitars in their lineup do you think i should look at?

I've heard that some people think the necks & the pickups are better on the VMJ's & then there are some people that think that the CV's are the only "cheap" basses that really sound like proper axes.

I am eager to hear from any owner/players of any squier models who could share their expereinces of their instruments with me. Please dont be shy.

Just to repeat though - This bass will be my backup bass & will offer tonal options that the amazingly versatile G & L L200 cant.

What do you think?

Oh yeah, It's probably quite important to mention that i play mainly Alternative Rock/Pop/Country/Blues/Reggae/Dub - These are the sonic landscapes that i habitat

Thanks[/size]

I played about 5 CV's and VMJ's to get a feel for them when I wanted a fretless (which had to be a VMJ). I bought it, and wasn't disappointed and only sold it on as I wanted a 5 string. However, finally getting to the point of the post, the CV's all felt/played much better than the VMJ's. To complement a G&L though, you'll probably want to upgrade pick-ups.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1231444' date='May 14 2011, 10:12 PM']I played about 5 CV's and VMJ's to get a feel for them when I wanted a fretless (which had to be a VMJ). I bought it, and wasn't disappointed and only sold it on as I wanted a 5 string. However, finally getting to the point of the post, the CV's all felt/played much better than the VMJ's. To complement a G&L though, you'll probably want to upgrade pick-ups.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response mate. Funnily enough i once had the VMJ Fretless. I bought it on ebay, lent it to a friend, then needed the money & sold it on - all before really putting it through it's paces, but i could tell it was a nice little bass for the money. Anyway....Which of the CV's did you play? Is there 1 or 2 (or all 3) in particular that stood out? I've also been eying up the VMJ Jaguar because of the P/J piockup combo but those CV's sure look good

Edited by mashup

[quote name='mashup' post='1231500' date='May 14 2011, 11:45 PM']Thanks for the quick response mate. Funnily enough i once had the VMJ Fretless. I bought it on ebay, lent it to a friend, then needed the money & sold it on - all before really putting it through it's paces, but i could tell it was a nice little bass for the money. Anyway....Which of the CV's did you play? Is there 1 or 2 (or all 3) in particular that stood out? I've also been eying up the VMJ Jaguar because of the P/J piockup combo but those CV's sure look good[/quote]

The CV 50's P was getting me gassing - and may have won had I not needed fretless, the 70's VMJ Jazz was the slight disappointment - just felt a little cheaper than the CV's, a bit plasticy. As I said, I was happy with the fretless but ended up deciding I didn't need a fretted bass so got Jon Shuker to put a fretless board on my 5 string Cort GB75.

I've recently played both. The Classic Vibe Jazz is the real deal if you like a 60's Jazz tone and is really well made. The VMJ 70's Jazz with the block inlays is the funkiest looking/sounding thing since James Brown (the pickups are great). It has a satiny varnish on the neck if you like that kind of thing. Personally I'd go for the VMJ because it is full of character and will give you a different sound from your present G&L. It's also a bit cheaper and there's some nice looking ones on basschat at the moment at decent prices.

Edited by gjones

Just a thought, but considering you want tones that the G&L can't give you, and you like reggae/dub...Why not try out that squier P with the 'bucker right up against the neck? [url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326902500"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0326902500[/url]

I've not tried one so I can't say if they're any good or not, but my VMJazz is a damn nice bass (Especially with all the upgrades, but it was great before them aswel!). Plus, the look the muts nuts...

[quote name='gjones' post='1232081' date='May 15 2011, 03:15 PM']I've recently played both. The Classic Vibe Jazz is the real deal if you like a 60's Jazz tone and is really well made. The VMJ 70's Jazz with the block inlays is the funkiest looking/sounding thing since James Brown (the pickups are great). It has a satiny varnish on the neck if you like that kind of thing. Personally I'd go for the VMJ because it is full of character and will give you a different sound from your present G&L. It's also a bit cheaper and there's some nice looking ones on basschat at the moment at decent prices.[/quote]

I've just been checking out that VM Jazz online & it has recieved rave reviews. I listened to some clips & it has a detailed & bright sound - Very nice. I really like it. The only thing against it for me is the weight - with it weighing in at 9 - 9.5lbs which is too heavy for me. I like light basses. My USA G & L L2000 weighs less than my old Aerodyne - which was light! I havn't weighed my L2000 yet but i doubt it's any more than 7lbs, which i presume is unusually light for this bass (or not? - it is my first so hard to know from experience)

Also, I forgot to mention that i play predominantly with a pick. I dont slap - nor have i any interest in ever slapping really.

Thanks for your feedback & pointers so far :)

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='1232157' date='May 15 2011, 04:42 PM']Just a thought, but considering you want tones that the G&L can't give you, and you like reggae/dub...Why not try out that squier P with the 'bucker right up against the neck? [url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326902500"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0326902500[/url]

I've not tried one so I can't say if they're any good or not, but my VMJazz is a damn nice bass (Especially with all the upgrades, but it was great before them aswel!). Plus, the look the muts nuts...[/quote]

Really? Do you think that this could provide suitable, additional tones outside of my G & L's sound spectrum? I must say i do like the look of it & if it's as light as the CV 50's P then it definitely ticks 2 boxes. If the tones are great, that may well be job done!! Is this an active bass then, because of the Hummer? Im really after a passive pickup setup.

Thanks for your input :)

Might be difficult to find tones outside / beyond your G&L. I have had my 85 SB1 for over 20 years, for a one pickup PB style bass it is incredibly versatile. . I did not feel the need for a backup / second bass until GAS attack for the Kramer - had always wanted one when younger. Why not get another G&L (apart from cost) and try the 'opposite' strings flats / rounds. Reliability from my G&L - 100%, had it setup and then nothing, it just works and stays in tune. I would buy another early SB1 for roundwounds - if wife would not divorce me (and I could find one at sane money).

[quote name='3below' post='1232458' date='May 15 2011, 09:15 PM']Might be difficult to find tones outside / beyond your G&L. I have had my 85 SB1 for over 20 years, for a one pickup PB style bass it is incredibly versatile. . I did not feel the need for a backup / second bass until GAS attack for the Kramer - had always wanted one when younger. Why not get another G&L (apart from cost) and try the 'opposite' strings flats / rounds. Reliability from my G&L - 100%, had it setup and then nothing, it just works and stays in tune. I would buy another early SB1 for roundwounds - if wife would not divorce me (and I could find one at sane money).[/quote]

True. This is always another option.....Maybe im just getting a case of GAS right now. Im trawling the internet looking at Basses when i should just probably be playing! Just out of curiosity, is your G & L light in weight?

I need a 2nd/backup bass regardless. Can the G & L L2000 really do it all? Should i just be looking at getting another, maybe a tribute? Or is there an inexpensive something out there that can fulfill additional tonal requirements?

[quote name='mashup' post='1232468' date='May 15 2011, 09:31 PM']True. This is always another option.....Maybe im just getting a case of GAS right now. Im trawling the internet looking at Basses when i should just probably be playing! Just out of curiosity, is your G & L light in weight?

I need a 2nd/backup bass regardless. Can the G & L L2000 really do it all? Should i just be looking at getting another, maybe a tribute? Or is there an inexpensive something out there that can fulfill additional tonal requirements?[/quote]

I have never weighed it... but I am 5'3" and it has never bothered me. I feel it is 'heavyish' - think it is a maple body but not sure. My Kramer is noticeably 'heavy' but the string clarity is something else. Before you get the wallet out, try someone else's bass with different strings - the biggest tone changer for me is roundwound, but I prefer flats. If string type is significant them Yamaha and Ibanez P/J types are real bargains at the moment. This [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134083&hl=ibanez"]Ibanez[/url] was £230 - gorgeous IMO - I have/had no connection with it. I bought a Hiscox case for £70 recently - with a Peavey Milestone Jazz type bass included. There are some real deals around at present.

I will get the scales out and investigate.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' post='1232489' date='May 15 2011, 09:47 PM']I have never weighed it... but I am 5'3" and it has never bothered me. I feel it is 'heavyish' - think it is a maple body but not sure. My Kramer is noticeably 'heavy' but the string clarity is something else. Before you get the wallet out, try someone else's bass with different strings - the biggest tone changer for me is roundwound, but I prefer flats. If string type is significant them Yamaha and Ibanez P/J types are real bargains at the moment. This [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134083&hl=ibanez"]Ibanez[/url] was £230 - gorgeous IMO - I have/had no connection with it. I bought a Hiscox case for £70 recently - with a Peavey Milestone Jazz type bass included. There are some real deals around at present.

I will get the scales out and investigate.[/quote]

Thanks 3below. Please dont get the scales out on my behalf......Someone is selling the CV 50's P on the forum. Im mega tempted. I think i want the vintage tone of single coils that my G & L L2000 doesn't quite do - very close though!