Why become a member? ×

Amp for upright sound from a fretless bass guitar?

Rob MacKillop

I play jazz, think Kind Of Blue, Miles Smiles, etc, and presently play a cheap but very good Vintage Bubinga fretless, which sounds great acoustically with La Bella tapewounds. I have up to five hundred pounds to spend on an amp - I learned long ago to spend more on the amp than the instrument. Your suggestions, please. Small/portable would be appreciated. I will be playing small bar gigs in a trio setting. I have a PJ Bass Buddy to add to the mix. Currently I have a Line 6 LD15, which colours the sound way too much for my liking.

Cheers,
Rob

If you want uncoloured maybe stick with Phil Jones? Take a look at this for example [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=132078&hl=Phil+Jones"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=Phil+Jones[/url]

I doubt a DB-specific amp would help you (I have an Acoustic Image Coda combo but thats chock full of features that would be of no benefit to an electric bass, eg feedback control; plus its FS at £700!)

[quote name='Rob MacKillop' post='1230079' date='May 13 2011, 04:02 PM']I play jazz, think Kind Of Blue, Miles Smiles, etc, and presently play a cheap but very good Vintage Bubinga fretless, which sounds great acoustically with La Bella tapewounds. I have up to five hundred pounds to spend on an amp - I learned long ago to spend more on the amp than the instrument. Your suggestions, please. Small/portable would be appreciated. I will be playing small bar gigs in a trio setting. I have a PJ Bass Buddy to add to the mix. Currently I have a Line 6 LD15, which colours the sound way too much for my liking.

Cheers,
Rob[/quote]

I think Clarky's being very discrete (unless he's sold it), but I'm pretty sure he's got a Mesa Walkabout 12 for sale as well? Whilst it's not the lightest amp out there, the bang for your buck is huge, and it can do pretty much anything from ultra clean to pure grit. Phil Jones gear has a wonderful clean tone, but it really does lack power, unless that is you're either playing very small gigs or buying at the powerful, and therefore very expensive, end of the PJB range. IMO the best control you have over tone is having a high quality & versatile amp that you will never have to drive unless you want to, so having a slightly bigger box and slightly more watts than you need is a good bet.

I agree re the cost ratio of amp to bass BTW.

C

Try the foam under the strings trick, just to mute the sustain a bit. That can help those strings sound more upright and less fretless. Other than that, any good clean sounding amp will get you closer. I'd also suggest a GK Microbass combo (the older 1x12") they can sound very good on small gigs...despite having no real bottom or top end to the sound!

Another option is get some secondhand EMG pickups into your bass - very clean and clear and helps to get the most out of your strings.