Why become a member? ×

Starting up

deaver

Apologies to all the musicians who populate this venerable part of the forum but I am about to join in with you. I bought a 3/4 of oldslapper early in the week and can now get a noise out of it without falling over.

This will doubtless be a painful ride for me and an excruciating one for anyone who has to listen. First up I'm going to need some lessons so I can have at least a recognisable technique to fall back on. I live in Salisbury and have no transport, if anyone can help with the name of a local tutor please shout out. I won't be able to commit to regular lessons until later in the year, though.

I don't have the musicality, technique or tonal awareness that other recent converts have, so anyone wishing to offer lessons should bear that in mind.

All initial advice welcome, here we go

Hey, from a fellow noob, you have done the right thing and you will not regret it. :)

Only advice I can give is pay huge attention to the problem of not hurting yourself. That means at least one lesson as soon as you can. Also, some good vids can help there.

You will probably spend a lot of time howling in frustration at first, but it seems to me that one trick is to play every single day, even if it's only 15mins. Make friends with that baby.

Hey John, until you get a tutor here is not a bad starter DVD [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Introduction-Upright-Double-Bass-Beginners-DVD-/330477033403?pt=UK_Music_SheetMusic_RL&hash=item4cf1f757bb#ht_2170wt_1199"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Introduction-Upright...#ht_2170wt_1199[/url]

I think you will have a lot of fun with your new toy, I have really fallen for the whole DB thing. But boy does it get tricky (and pricey) when you start getting into changing strings and sorting out amplification!

I bought one a few years back and love it though, I reckon I'll be a newbie for years to come! Got to echo what Clarky says though these big beasties swallow cash like nobodies business.

I'd recommend getting a tutor at the very least to get you moving in the right direction.

All the best with it mate.

[quote name='fatback' post='1229465' date='May 12 2011, 11:24 PM']Only advice I can give is pay huge attention to the problem of not hurting yourself. ...

You will probably spend a lot of time howling in frustration at first, but it seems to me that one trick is to play every single day, even if it's only 15mins.[/quote]

Both good bits of advice. Be very disciplined with your left hand, keep your wrist straight and your elbow up, hold the neck like a can of beer with your thumb behind your fingers not pointing skyward.

I struggled at first with stamina and I could only play ten minutes or so before my arm got tired or my back started twinging (because I was struggling to hold the bass properly), but I went at it in ten minute doses for the first couple of weeks, and now I can play for a couple of hours and not feel any tiredness. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. :)

Hi John,

I live in southampton and work just outside of salisbury. Sadly i don't know any teachers in salisbury, but i know a couple in southampton if you're able to make the trip (it's always fun taking a bass on the train). If not i could ask around to see if anyone knows anyone in salisbury area.

If you're having trouble with finding someone i do the odd bit of teaching on the side and i'd be happy to give you a couple of starter lessons if we could work out a time that'd suite us both. However as a devonshire boy I find your "location" mildly offensive :)

PM if you want any more details etc.

Robin

Right, just about recovered from yesterday. Thanks again for all the advice and support. Clarky, I'll check that DVD out, seems like a good starting point. Robin, I'll drop you a PM, a couple of starter lessons seems a very good idea. I've got one or two other avenues to explore regarding local teaching so we'll see how that goes.TNIT, that's a good point about holding the neck, I've have already experienced some discomfort in the back of my hand, I'll try the beer can approach later today.

• 5 months later...

Time to update, other commitments have meant I haven't really had time to learn an awful lot. However I can just about hack out some blues scales and open minor scales in half & 1st positions (I think). After some cajoling from the keyboard player I took the bass down to a local midweek jam night and gave it a thunk. To my surprise I really enjoyed it, I'm not a natural jammer and I don't like performing out of my comfort zone but ther's something about this instrument that makes it more enjoyable on stage. Photographic evidence below - note current jazz 'Mad Professor' hair style

Edited by deaver

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1321139987' post='1435917']
Great stuff John.

Let me know when you're next playing and I'll come and heckle...:-)

[/quote]

We've got a support slot at the Winchester Gate next Friday, if you fancy it let me know and I'll send you some more details. We're the 'special guests' mentioned here, not the bunch of shiny happy people pictured - but you knew that anyway

Edited by deaver