Why become a member? ×

Precision Neck Question

spongebob

I recently passed on my CV 60's Precision.

Loved it, but just couldn't quite get with the neck width....found it a little unwieldy for my hands!

I've read that the 50's P has an ever wider neck....but how about a smaller one?

I know my Rics and how they can differ, is it the same for P's? Is a VM-P, for example, very different? Is there an era of the slightly smaller neck?

Not looking to spend megabucks, as it's not meant to be a main gigging bass.

I'm no expert at all on these, so any advice would be good.

In my experience, I'd say the necks on the 60s CV precisions are among the thinner/smaller P bass necks you'll find. I've played some absolute bloody logs in the name of P bass necks in the past, both Fender and copies.

Might be an idea to whip the neck off a precision and replace with a Jazz one if that is uncomfortable for you. I doubt you;ll get anything noticeably more manageable.

Or another idea could be to buy a PBass and re shape the neck to whatever contour you like. Won't help with the width but might make it more comfortable. I really don't know why neck re shaping isn't more common in guitar/bass circles. It's a piece of piss to do.

Squier do a "Precision Special" - P bass body, P-J pickups, Jazz width neck. I had one a few years ago and it was very nice for the money.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1224049' date='May 8 2011, 12:30 PM']I recently passed on my CV 60's Precision.

Loved it, but just couldn't quite get with the neck width....found it a little unwieldy for my hands!

I've read that the 50's P has an ever wider neck....but how about a smaller one?

I know my Rics and how they can differ, is it the same for P's? Is a VM-P, for example, very different? Is there an era of the slightly smaller neck?

Not looking to spend megabucks, as it's not meant to be a main gigging bass.

I'm no expert at all on these, so any advice would be good.[/quote]

i suffer with the neck width on some too, thats why i am looking into getting a fender jazz ,but the idea of swapping a neck seems like a good one, is it a straight swap? ie is the recess the same on the p and the jazz where the neck bolts on?

There are a few different p bass necks. the early 50's necks were 1.75" (45mm) and very thick, very log like, then in the 60's they stayed with the width, but thinned the necks to make them more comfortable. In the 1980's the modern P-bass neck came to be with the 1 5/8"(41mm) nut width, and an even slimmer thickness, which has stayed similar since, so you may want a modern P neck to accomodate your hands, or as stated by many here, switch to a Jazz neck if you like the narrow slim feel.

Edited by HJCcustoms

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1224124' date='May 8 2011, 02:17 PM']In my experience, I'd say the necks on the 60s CV precisions are among the thinner/smaller P bass necks you'll find. I've played some absolute bloody logs in the name of P bass necks in the past, both Fender and copies.[/quote]

I was going to say this. I'm surprised anyone would think the CV P-bass neck is big.

It does look like the OP could use a Jazz neck instead.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='wingnutkj' post='1224156' date='May 8 2011, 02:57 PM']Squier do a "Precision Special" - P bass body, P-J pickups, Jazz width neck. I had one a few years ago and it was very nice for the money.[/quote]

+1 - you can still buy certain versions. AFAIK, these are black, 'antique burst', and black with a matching black headstock and mirror scratchplate. They have a 38mm nut.

I have a walnut satin one, which is very playable :)

As much as i dont really like P necks either i agree with the others that the CVP is a pretty small version of it, especially as it has vintage frets as well.

Ive swapped my CV necks over as i do prefer a Jazz neck but every now and then i get the Jazz out (with the P neck) and i really only notice a difference when i go back to the jazz neck.
Im trying to get myself used to the P neck so im ready for a man sized neck one day, but so far im too comfortable with jazz necks (and even they vary)