Why become a member? ×

FS '65 Precision 3tsb £2500

Beedster

Up for sale is my August ‘65 Precision, late L-series (and still considered pre-CBS by most aficionados despite being several months after the change of ownership). It’s a reluctant sale blah blah blah, but I haven’t gigged electric bass for 11 months now, and having picked up a few things here and there on DB, that seems to be the way I’m going at present. My main electric at present is a Squier Modified Jaguar with which I'm surprisingly happy :)

The bass is [b][u]not[/u][/b] all original, but still wearing its original finish on both neck and body, it has the potential to be un-modified back to an authentic (if not entirely original) ’65 if you have the time, the inclination and the cash to do so.

Original parts
Body
Neck
Bridge
PUP cover
Bridge cover
Pickguard (not originally from this bass but an original Fender mid-60’s nitro model that is period correct)
Neck plate
Strap buttons
String tree

After-market parts
PUP (SD Antiquity)
Tuners (at present some very old potentially Fender stock period reverse tuners but I will replace these with Fender ’62 MIA RI reverse tuners unless the buyer specifically wants those currently on the bass).
Harness/circuit

I bought the bass from Simon Clifton last year. It met all my needs as a player and Fender obsessive; that is, the paintwork was original, meaning it both feels and looks (and smells) old and worn-in. The wear suggests it’s been played by the same player for some period of time (or for a short period of time by a guy with a very heavy right thumb). The board is a beautiful dark rosewood (one of the pics below compares it with my old LPB '64 which had the darkest board I've seen to date on a Precision). The neck is very fast for a classic C width; enough of the varnish on the back of the neck has worn away for it to feel smooth and easy without it feeling lumpy and sticky (Simon will confirm that I am a neck obsessive and spent some time fussing about this when playing my way through his pre-CBS collection).

Anyway, I think £2500 is a fair price, and I guess this represents entry level into the pre-CBS Precision market. My original plan was to source a ’65 PUP, harness and tuners (total around £600 if you hunt around a bit on ebay.com), and put the bass back to stock, if not to all original, condition. For various reasons however I’ve decided not to. Recognising the current cash situation, I’ll also consider PX deals with a decent Fender (please don’t suggest Sadowskys, Celinders, EBs etc, all great basses but I’m not really interested at present).

Pics are below. These are Simon’s originals which I’m sure he won’t mind my using. Please note that the pickguard in these was I believe a ’62 RI model. The bass is now wearing the original Fender ’60s nitro tort guard mentioned above, which to my eye looks far better but which is also not in quite such good condition (and has also shrunk slightly, but that’s true for about 90% of the guards from this era).

I can’t post this I’m afraid, but I’m willing to drive some way to hand it over, or for you to collect from Canterbury. After a couple of not so pleasing experiences on BC with people who I didn’t know before I entered into the deal, if you’re not someone I’ve dealt with before or know by reputation, I’ll need a down payment by Paypal before setting out to deliver the bass. Please shout if you’d like further info, I can also take more pics if needs be. Please let me know if I've forgotten to mention anything above, I can honestly (and somewhat surprisingly) state that it's quite a long time since I sold a bass on here!

Chris
[attachment=79282:IMG_1393.JPG][attachment=79283:IMG_1394.JPG]
[attachment=79281:IMG_1391.JPG][attachment=79285:IMG_1464.JPG][attachment=79284:IMG_1396.JPG]
[attachment=79288:IMG_1429.JPG][attachment=79287:IMG_1426.JPG][attachment=79286:IMG_1466.JPG]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Clarky' post='1223330' date='May 7 2011, 03:57 PM']Beautiful bass Chris - good luck with the sale mate. Shall I PM Jase or will you? Kidding! Gorgeous sunburst[/quote]
And I thought he was just joking with that comment...

Hmm, very nice bass *ponders*

Thanks chaps. it's never good to be selling a nice old Precision, kinda goes against the grain really (like supporting Arsenal I guess). Needs must and all that.

Jase, haven't been to see your inlaws in Faversham for a while have you mate. Perhaps it's about time you did....? :)

[quote name='353203' post='1223877' date='May 8 2011, 06:13 AM']Its always a shock to see photos of the bed you've just got out of plastered all over the internet :)

A great bass at a great price !

Cheers, Si[/quote]

Thanks Si :)

A nice PX deal is potentially on with this, but we've agreed to hold off a few days as I really should be looking for cash only given a few other non-bass things I have to spend it on. I have had temptation put in my way, and a cash buyer in the next few days would likely reduce my feeling of guilt and shame :lol:

C

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1225581' date='May 9 2011, 09:18 PM']I read this as FS/SX precision 3tsb £2500. Couldnt work out why it was so expensive. Nice bass.[/quote]

LOL, yep, see what you mean, revised :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1225890' date='May 10 2011, 09:45 AM']Is there a TF looking for a new home? ...

:)[/quote]
I'm afraid I can upgrade my normally vague style of "maybe" with a definite no. I've realised one of my mistakes and selling that bass is one I won't make again :)