Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000's

Jigster

Was browsing the for sale and saw there's two mid 80's L2000's - which got me thinking, is there any discernable difference in the sound of these to their later mid 90's US counterparts, or indeed to something like the Tributes?

G&L say all the same parts are used on Tribs as on US models, and I've owned both, and there does seem to be a consistency of sound there -

so would a pre BBE, mid 80's, be discernably, a LOT different?

I'm thinking of Fender examples - like a classic pre-CBS P doesn't sound like a mid 90's P standard

[quote name='Jigster' post='1222916' date='May 7 2011, 10:02 AM']Was browsing the for sale and saw there's two mid 80's L2000's - which got me thinking, is there any discernable difference in the sound of these to their later mid 90's US counterparts, or indeed to something like the Tributes?[/quote]

Wow, can opened, worms everywhere! :)

I'll start by saying that I'm certainly no expert and I can't offer you any real-world experience of either Leo era or BBE era L2000's as I've never owned either.
[i]But[/i], before and since buying my '81 L1000, I have trawled through many of the 'other' bass sites and can pass on some info I've picked up along the way.

Although fundamentally the same design since it's conception, these are just some of the manufacturing differences from 1981 to the present day ...*

Body woods: trib - basswood/swamp ash, USA - alder/swamp ash, some of the Leo era bodies were also maple or mahogany. Nitrocellulose lacquer to polyester finish '81-'82.

Necks: various profiles/widths, semi-gloss to satin finish '92, plus a change from 3 bolt to 6 bolt mid '90's.

Differences in cavity shielding and grounding.

Pickups: windings vary

Electronics: preamp board and circuit changes over the years, chipsets, capacitors, versions (leo, 1.0, 1.1) blah, blah blah ....

There is a wealth of information and opinion out there if you're that way inclined, some of it conflicting. The level of detail (geek-ery) the Americans go to is overwhelming.
I've even read that aligning the slothead pole pieces in my '81's adjustable MFD pickup, so they are parallel with the strings will affect the tone :)

[quote name='Jigster' post='1222916' date='May 7 2011, 10:02 AM']so would a pre BBE, mid 80's, be discernably, a LOT different?[/quote]

I suppose it depends on your viewpoint, on any of the above, as to what extent they affect the sound/tone of an instrument.

"a LOT different?" - at home maybe, but in a live or even recorded context, doubtful.

*disclaimer - some or all of the above information may be incorrect - take it up with the Americans. :lol:

... and all this stuff about pre-BBE is, for the most part, misleading guff aimed at creating a pre-CBS style panache by sellers of nearly but not quite examples. In many cases there is no difference between pre-BBEs and post-BBEs - especially as George Fullerton was still on the payroll keeping an eye on QC. I personally view the evolution from simple headstock to the "eye-gouger" one (circa '82) as a marker of the only major landmark in G&L bass evolution.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1223665' date='May 7 2011, 08:58 PM']... and all this stuff about pre-BBE is, for the most part, misleading guff aimed at creating a pre-CBS style panache by sellers of nearly but not quite examples. In many cases there is no difference between pre-BBEs and post-BBEs - especially as George Fullerton was still on the payroll keeping an eye on QC. I personally view the evolution from simple headstock to the "eye-gouger" one (circa '82) as a marker of the only major landmark in G&L bass evolution.[/quote]

What??? I seriously can't see how you could not acknowledge the 30th anniversary model as a major leap forward in design - it has "white pearl position markers and pearl frost pickup covers" for gawds sake!!! :) :)

Joking aside, what you say is too true, but it just goes to show how all of Leo's main designs from Fender, Musicman and G&L were fundamentally right from the beginning. If it ain't broke ...

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1223721' date='May 7 2011, 10:13 PM']What??? I seriously can't see how you could not acknowledge the 30th anniversary model as a major leap forward in design - it has "white pearl position markers and pearl frost pickup covers" for gawds sake!!! :) :lol:[/quote]
Doh how could I have forgot? :)

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1223721' date='May 7 2011, 10:13 PM']Joking aside, what you say is too true, but it just goes to show how all of Leo's main designs from Fender, Musicman and G&L were fundamentally right from the beginning. [b]If it ain't broke ...[/b][/quote]
I like to think of G&L as more like Leo saying "Well if CBS/Fender aren't going to fix it... I will". :D

• 2 months later...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1315456' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:06 AM']Apologies for bumping an old thread but I have an L2000 question that isn't worth starting a new thread for.

Will an L2000 fit in a case which is designed specifically for a Fender Jazz (ie moulded to the body shape etc)?

Thanks[/quote]

It won't fit if the case is too rigidly Jazz shaped - the L-2000 body is much more like a Precision than a Jazz (no offset waist). It's not a good enough reason not to get an L-2000 though - if it doesn't fit then just get another case :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1315551' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:21 AM']It won't fit if the case is too rigidly Jazz shaped - the L-2000 body is much more like a Precision than a Jazz (no offset waist). It's not a good enough reason not to get an L-2000 though - if it doesn't fit then just get another case :)[/quote]
Have you actually tried this out with yours Matt? ... hang on I bet you don't even have a Jazz case, as you can't stand girly jazzes. :)

I just tried my L-1000 (which I believe the L-2000 is almost identical to - dimensionally) in a very snug fitting Kinsman Jazz hardcase and it went in perfectly... didn't get stuck or rattle about or anything.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1315551' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:21 AM']It won't fit if the case is too rigidly Jazz shaped - the L-2000 body is much more like a Precision than a Jazz (no offset waist). It's not a good enough reason not to get an L-2000 though - if it doesn't fit then just get another case :)[/quote]

Hmm. I only ask because as a birthday present my wife bought me a nice case for my jazz bass, but now I fancy an L-2000 and would rather not have to buy *another* nice one...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1315577' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:51 AM']Have you actually tried this out with yours Matt? ... hang on I bet you don't even have a Jazz case, as you can't stand girly jazzes. :)

I just tried my L-1000 (which I believe the L-2000 is almost identical to - dimensionally) in a very snug fitting Kinsman Jazz hardcase and it went in perfectly... didn't get stuck or rattle about or anything.[/quote]

What I meant by "too rigidly Jazz shaped" was if it has some sort of form fitting insert :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1316209' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:38 PM']What I meant by "too rigidly Jazz shaped" was if it has some sort of form fitting insert :)[/quote]
Dunno what you mean Matt but my Kinsman is Jazz shaped and fits a J (and as we've now discovered a G&L) very snugly.

Now if you were trying to get a J bass into a P bass hardcase.... forget about it. *Mickey Blue-eyes*