Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried Status black nylon tapewound strings?

Clarky

I have Rotosound TruBass strings on my fretless PJ and love the DB-like sound, although the hefty gauge (65-115) takes a bit of getting used to, especially the fat G string (oo err). I noticed when making an order for some Hotwire half-round strings last week that Status also does black nylon tapewound strings but in very 'normal' gauges - 40-100 and 45-105 - and at a pretty cheap price (£17; less than half what La Bella black nylon strings cost and two thirds of what Tru Bass cost). So I wondered if anyone has tried these and are they any good?

They're good..but different. To me they feel a lot lighter than they are...much like Thomastik flats. Very bouncy to play, and fairly bright sounding. My suggestions would be the La Bella or Pyramid versions. Both have chunky sizes but also feel quite soft to play, but both also sound "better" to me than the Roto's. The La Bellas have much better "pitching" and sound a lot cleaner..and the Pyramids sound very soft and warm.

Hope that helps a bit..but probably didn't!

[quote name='BassBod' post='1220651' date='May 5 2011, 09:29 AM']They're good..but different. To me they feel a lot lighter than they are...much like Thomastik flats. Very bouncy to play, and fairly bright sounding. My suggestions would be the La Bella or Pyramid versions. Both have chunky sizes but also feel quite soft to play, but both also sound "better" to me than the Roto's. The La Bellas have much better "pitching" and sound a lot cleaner..and the Pyramids sound very soft and warm.

Hope that helps a bit..but probably didn't![/quote]
Thanks BassBod! The Pyramids are out of stock at the only European supplier I could find (Thomann) and pretty pricey, but sound very interesting.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1220095' date='May 4 2011, 05:53 PM']I have Rotosound TruBass strings on my fretless PJ and love the DB-like sound, although the hefty gauge (65-115) takes a bit of getting used to, especially the fat G string (oo err). I noticed when making an order for some Hotwire half-round strings last week that Status also does black nylon tapewound strings but in very 'normal' gauges - 40-100 and 45-105 - and at a pretty cheap price (£17; less than half what La Bella black nylon strings cost and two thirds of what Tru Bass cost). So I wondered if anyone has tried these and are they any good?[/quote]

I haven't tried the Status...

However, I had the TruBass on a fretless P-bass, and recently changed to the D'Addario version (ETB92, gauge 50, 65, 85, 105) and love them. Much lower tension, as expected given the gauge difference, and they are a bit more versatile I think. With the tone rolled off you still get that double-bassy type of sound, but with the tone open fully it doesn't sound as "plasticky" as the TruBass and I feel I can use this bas for more things. Certainly nicer to play.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBod' post='1220684' date='May 5 2011, 09:58 AM']Try emailing Bert Gerecht @ Hotwire in Germany. He seems to have a good relationship with Pyramid and may be able to get them pretty quick?[/quote]
Good shout BassBod - I just got some Pyramids black nylon flats (from Thomann, which got them back in stock). They are certainly nicer under the fingers than TruBass - almost feel as if they are made of some soft type of fabric! Also I can get the action lower with these than with Tru Bass, so win-win :)