Why become a member? ×

Cab or Amp.

paul h

Also I've never understood the idea of using my head with some else's cabs. I would never plug my amp into a cab I knew nothing about.

At gigs either I supply the whole rig and those who want to use it, or I bring my BassPod and plug into what ever amp and cabs are supplied.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1218770' date='May 3 2011, 04:17 PM']95% chance it was the amp that started the fire.[/quote]
What if you don't own an Ashdown?

I'm not sure that there's a good way of answering this (although I voted for amp). As I'm happy with the cab but wasn't completely happy with the overall sound, I bought another amp, and having A/Bed the two (Superduperfly and iAmp 500) I prefer the sound of the iAmp. The cab makes a contribution, I'm sure, but it should be pretty uncoloured. If I use another cab, that will also change the sound significantly. However, as I'm happy with the current cab, it's the amp that's significant.

I can find reasons for picking each part out of my chain to comment on as to why it has a bearing on my 'tone' or Bass sound. I chose to select 'Cab' this time - My cabinets are well known for having a particular 'tone' to them and I have been through a lot of gear to return to the very same cabs again - so it must be something about them that just works for me.

Transducers have the biggest effect on tone generally speaking, so.... cabs. My Schroe 1212L is very low mid voiced, whilst the LMII is fairly uncoloured IMO so it's definitely the cab in my rig.

• 2 weeks later...

In my case I've gone for both.

Each has a different influence on the sound.

I could consider the amp to be the most influential as it has a fair amount of adjustments that can be made in order to get the end result sounding what I want. Especially since the cab is fixed unless I buy another one.

or the cab could be the most influential. I listened to a few before I bought it. So I know a different cab will sound um.. different. I wouldn't get the sound I'm after with a different cab even adjusting the amp controls.

If you are using a cheap amp and a hand built cab designed and produced by a bass player, who felt that the most important result of building his cabinet was to ensure the best quality sound he could get (not just to ensure he lined his pockets), then I am not suprised that the cab is going to be the greatest influence.

Chicken and egg. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. The sum is greater than the parts. etc etc.....

I think for most of us changing any one item would affect what we hear.

Maybe you could get even better results from a different amp. Depends what your version of better is.