Why become a member? ×

How d'ya get that BOOTSY groove thang?

stoko

Evening all - newby here.
I've played drums and guitar for too many years to think about, but recently have joined a funk-esque band on bass.
Now the first thing I thought was - how can I get to Bootsy?!? What sort of pedals/effects?

My usual guitar set up is tuner>phaser>octaver>overdrive>compressor>digi delay, but I'm guessing Bootsy's thang is built around envelope modulation, flangers, space dust and loony juice? What else do I need to be buying?

Any tips?
Cheers!

[quote name='stoko' post='1216810' date='May 1 2011, 07:41 PM']Evening all - newby here.
I've played drums and guitar for too many years to think about, but recently have joined a funk-esque band on bass.
Now the first thing I thought was - how can I get to Bootsy?!? What sort of pedals/effects?

My usual guitar set up is tuner>phaser>octaver>overdrive>compressor>digi delay, but I'm guessing Bootsy's thang is built around envelope modulation, flangers, space dust and loony juice? What else do I need to be buying?

Any tips?
Cheers![/quote]
oct>fuzz>filter/wah is a good start.

filters can lose or add low-end, so try blending a filter with clean signal.

my favourite so far is the source audio b.e.f. as it can do loads of different types of filter. the octave (preferably OC-2) is optional, especially if a low b-string is available.

here's the official demo, others are available.

also check out 3-leaf audio. less versatile, but very very good.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1217074' date='May 1 2011, 11:56 PM']shouldn't the compressor come first in the chain? after the tuner of course.[/quote]
Not necessarily, I like my envelope filter to have the full dynamic range of my bass' output, then compression comes later. Horses for courses I suppose.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1217087' date='May 2 2011, 12:28 AM']Not necessarily, I like my envelope filter to have the full dynamic range of my bass' output, then compression comes later. Horses for courses I suppose.[/quote]
neighmen to that.

Edited by lettsguitars

Chhers for all advice fellas.
[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1216888' date='May 1 2011, 08:47 PM']filters can lose or add low-end, so try blending a filter with clean signal.[/quote]
Excuse my ignorance - I'm more drummer than guitarist - but how do I do that? Do certain pedals have a bypass out as well as an effects out, and then you patch both together? Or do you mean just DI and mic the amp when gigging?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1217070' date='May 1 2011, 11:52 PM']Also, don't never lose 'tha ONE' baby! :)[/quote]
Well noted. I have 'tha one' on order from amazon, but they can't guarantee a delivery date...

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1217074' date='May 1 2011, 11:56 PM']shouldn't the compressor come first in the chain? after the tuner of course.[/quote]
Nah! I have my compressor there to 'squelch' everything together in solos - more as a volume gain than anything. Works a treat.

And the star shaped glasses? Of COURSE I've got the star shaped glasses! I've been sleeping in them!

Edited by stoko

I always put my compressor last, so it evens out peaks from fx like way, Phasers etc. That said I also used to sometimes run a punch factory at the start of the chain too, cause it was subtle enough not to introduce double squash!

[quote name='stoko' post='1217347' date='May 2 2011, 11:20 AM']Excuse my ignorance - I'm more drummer than guitarist - but how do I do that? Do certain pedals have a bypass out as well as an effects out, and then you patch both together? Or do you mean just DI and mic the amp when gigging?[/quote]
no excuse necessary. a boss LS-2 or sfx S&M pedal will do the job. essentially they're two channel mixers in a pedal format. just blend your clean and effected signals to the desired level.