Why become a member? ×

can you mix two heads together into one cab?

0175westwood29

i see this all the time with guitartists and im just wandering how to do it?

ive been looking at a dual rig for a while but space wise its not a goer at the minute, so im just wandering if i could go down this route.

i used to love the natural dirt i got out of my old orange ad140b head when cranked but kinda lost some clarity in the notes, so im looking in a few months at grabbing myself a ad200b for some valve goodness, also for recording.

but i really fancy having a nice cleanish sound from my aggie mixed in with the dirty orange, no seprate effects both get feed the same thing from my pedal board.

im guessing theres some sort of mixer that goes between the amps and speaker?

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

Sounds fraught with problems to me especially if you have valve heads.

You will need a load on them but switching between this head or that head in one cab doesn't really work in real time.

Unless you had sepearte speakers that you were running into and cutting down on power available..you could very easily get into shorting out the chassis..

I would concentrate on a front line effect/pre type box that can give you a switched sound on demand..without running two power stages in one cab.
So basically your safest and best way round this is to find a pre amp box with switchable programs ...on the line of a Sansamp or somesuch..!!

Edited by JTUK

The is a Peavey 1820 or similar in for sale, it has biamp capability, so you can run two amps in, the mid drivers won't cope with that orange full tilt though. Might be able to rig a hi-pass before the Orange to keep them shiny and safe.

Edit: checked and the one in for sale isn't made for biamping, but could probably be made to be.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1219048' date='May 3 2011, 07:33 PM']I think some cabs are stereo (Ampeg and Peavey 8 by 10s) so you might be able to do it with one of them.[/quote]

yeh im thinking an ampeg 810 use on side for dirt and one for clean, should push enough power.

using a guitar combo or amp for my dirt is no good due to our guitarist taking up pretty much all of that kinda dirt in our sound.

andy

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1216534' date='May 1 2011, 01:38 PM']The is a Peavey 1820 or similar in for sale, it has biamp capability, so you can run two amps in, the mid drivers won't cope with that orange full tilt though. Might be able to rig a hi-pass before the Orange to keep them shiny and safe.

Edit: checked and the one in for sale isn't made for biamping, but could probably be made to be.[/quote]

I've got an 1820 that is made for biamping, and has separate inputs for the 10s and the 18 (sort of two cabs in one, I think). Its great fun if you like that sort of thing - especially with the 18. Both the 10s and the 18 run at 8ohms. Weighs a ton and sounds fab.

• 7 months later...

Shameless plug: B)
FS Peavey 1820
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163279-peavey-1820-bass-cab-118-210-l100-or-to-include-peavey-mk-vi-400w-head-l175/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163279-peavey-1820-bass-cab-118-210-l100-or-to-include-peavey-mk-vi-400w-head-l175/[/url]