Why become a member? ×

Strings - volume, tension etc

Marvin

I've just been reading a thread on another bass site about Fender 7150 strings.

It was quite interesting to read about the fact that some found them quieter and had a high tension.

When I've bought strings before I've always just looked for recommendations but never really gone much deeper than that. I've never really considered whether a string is louder etc.

Have you?

On forums you get a lot of "these strings are good" but it seems not to go much further than that.

I think the problem with string recommendations is that there is no right answer.

The best you can hope for is that you'll find the strings that are right for you and your bass without having to buy too many expensive sets. What works well for one person won't necessarily work well for you. And to make matters worse just because a particular brand and gauge of string works well on one of your basses doesn't mean that it's going to be suitable on another.

For example there's a lot of people raving about DR strings, but all the ones I've tried have felt and sounded "soggy" to me. There's a lot of fans so there's probably nothing wrong with the strings, they just don't suit the how I play the basses I've put them on.

I recently bought a Yamaha BJ 5B bass and wasn't particularly impressed with the strings on it when it arrived. Replacing them with a set of La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels has improved it but they don't feel and sound as good as they do on my Gus or Sei basses, so I'll be trying something else soon.

IMO both feel and sound are completely subjective. The best you can hope for in a string recommendation thread is a big list of strings to try out and the hope that you'll find the ones that suit you and your bass sooner rather than later.

As BigRed mentioned, there is no right answer.

It's simply trial and error because of the amount of factors you're dealing with: bass scale length, tuning requirements, playing style, the kind of tone you want and the overall feel you're looking for. On top of all this, you're dealing with your personal preference - hence there's no right or wrong. It's a balancing act between all these factors, and the only way you'll find what's best is by trying different strings and gauges.

I've found that strings tend to work differently on different instruments. What may work well for you on one particular bass, won't work so well on another.

I've used DR nickels for years, but they just don't sound right on my Overwater bass or my Zon. I'm using D'addario ProSteels on them, which sound great.

I have to confess to never noticing a difference in volume between sets of strings.

To be honest in 25 or so years of playing about the only thing I know with certainty is that I like stainless steels on a p type bass and nickels on a j type bass.

I've just replaced the D'Addarios on my bass with Fender 7150 Nickels and tbh.........all I can tell is they are a set of new strings. Only differences is maybe less finger noise and they sound marginally 'warmer'. Although I'd have to clean the D'Addarios up to see how bright they really are. The Fenders feel slightly smoother as well

I'm crap me :)

Edited by Marvin

DR's have made a name for themselves and seem to be the staple string for any enthusiast, but I've found the sonic differences between them and D'Addario for example to be too small for me to consider shelling about an extra £15 for the former. There are good strings and not so good strings, but once you've got past the advertising jargon, strings become a muchness of a muchness for me. I'd maybe pay a bit more attention to what flatwounds I was using as I think there's a tiny bit more you need to look for but with roundwounds I'm happy to pay less for D'Addarios as I don't think the difference between them and DRs are notable enough for me to pay more.

I've spent the past year evaluating an alternative to my usual DR string and that was because I changed basses and wouldn't be able to re-use the DR strings due to the peg config. So as I had to buy new, I thought I would see what else there was around since I started using DR's 17 or so years ago.

D'addarios SS XL pros. Not bad, not as clean or precise sounding as DR hi beams, but maybe a slighty full sound..which I wouldn't need, but decent enough and offer a Tapererd in some gauages. Overall, a useful cheaper alternative.

Various La Bellas as the bass came with these. ok to re-use and use for a couple of weeks. Tension is differen but not an issue.
The Super steps are the best for me..and tension is good and sound good as well. I'd use more sets of these along with hi beams but the core over the bridge needs careful winding so I don't know how long I would be able to re-use them. I have only put them on 3 times but this is not something to rush into as since the bridge part of the string has only core and no winding...that single core neds to run very smoothly at the bridge anchor point.
IIRC the super steps cost around the same as the DR's so I'll stick with DR's as tyhey are prioven over the years and I can get multiple cleans out of them.

I have a set of Ken Smiths to go on but they come with silks which gets messy when you clean then up a few times...as do a few other makes.
Still to try, Newtone and Sadowsky.

Nowhere near as anal about string and tension etc etc as I used to be. :)

So my faves, with this in mind, remain Hi Beams and Super steps.