Why become a member? ×

Mr_Russ' Gear

mr_russ

I'm a big fan of the markbass cabs- there doesn't seem to be anything on the market that can compete with the 152HR for me

4 ohms, 800w
horn
smaller and lighter than most 2 8ohm cab setups
deeper, punchier and louder than all the 8x10's I tried
32kg only 10kg heavier than my mb2x10

I'm selling the 2x10 btw- had I bought the 2001RB I might have been tempted to keep it!

I have the jazz for sale at the moment but I'm considering keeping it now- it's stunning and it doesn't look like I'd be able to get another very easily in the future what with ishibashi not shipping to the uk anymore. I'm gassing for a precision

My SR5 HH is stunning- really solid bass with loads of decent tones. I've just gone up to 45-130 strings after using 40-125 for years, it's made quite a difference

[quote name='mr_russ' post='139341' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:35 AM']I'm a big fan of the markbass cabs- there doesn't seem to be anything on the market that can compete with the 152HR for me

4 ohms, 800w
horn
smaller and lighter than most 2 8ohm cab setups
deeper, punchier and louder than all the 8x10's I tried
32kg only 10kg heavier than my mb2x10

I'm selling the 2x10 btw- had I bought the 2001RB I might have been tempted to keep it!

I have the jazz for sale at the moment but I'm considering keeping it now- it's stunning and it doesn't look like I'd be able to get another very easily in the future what with ishibashi not shipping to the uk anymore. I'm gassing for a precision

My SR5 HH is stunning- really solid bass with loads of decent tones. I've just gone up to 45-130 strings after using 40-125 for years, it's made quite a difference[/quote]
Did u look at the Epifani range? I got a UL310/750watts/5.3ohms AND ONLY 21KGS even the 1000w 4x10 weighs only 25kgs. That rig looks great tho I have to say.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='139348' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:45 AM']Did u look at the Epifani range? I got a UL310/750watts/5.3ohms AND ONLY 21KGS even the 1000w 4x10 weighs only 25kgs. That rig looks great tho I have to say.[/quote]

I did consider it- but for a few reasons decided to go with this option.

1- it would have meant a trip to london to the gallery, which is a bit of a pain in the arse and I just don't have the time :) Gak is much more convenient. I wanted to try a cab out at length first and anything of interest seemed miles away.

2- money- a used 310 would have been cheaper, but not by an exorbitant quantity considering the deal I got on my 152HR brand new- the 4x10 is mega expensive.

3- I played loads of 10" loaded cabs- having used 10's for years I was pretty convinced I'd end up going for them again- the only trouble was, I couldn't find a single 10" cab that could handle anywhere near the amount of low end I was after at volume- I'd be willing to bet that my 2x15 goes way lower than a ul310 even though I haven't tried one.

4- I wanted a taller rig - this was the perfect mid point between a small portable cab (like my 2x10) and a big 8x10 or a dual cab setup.

I can't wait to try a precision through this

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='139945' date='Feb 13 2008, 11:06 PM']I've heard mixed reviews of the MB cabs - maybe the 15's are better. Have you tried EBS?[/quote]

I have, albeit too briefly to comment- I've been really impressed with the MB cabs thus far, I've owned a few different ones and rate them highly.

I so far prefer the sound of the GK1001 with them though- far more versatility and plenty of warm growl if needed- the littlemark is an excellent amp but it's nice to get away from the constantly compressed tone.

I had a decent length rehearsal last night so got chance to give my 215 a good going over.

Having used 10's for so long I realised quickly that I'm not used to EQing 15's- after a small amount of tweaking over a couple of songs I was happy with my tone and actually turned everything down.

It's quite a different sound, there's plenty of top end there but not quite as much as my 210, which I'd expect! The low end is really present and tight but it's still clear.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to, both in size and sound, but I like it so far ;D

The Epifani UL310 was really the only cab in my shortlist that I couldn't get to try out

See, I told you you'd be better off with 15"s! :)

That 2x15" is about 2" bigger in each direction than the 15"+6" I'm building - nice and manageable to move but tall enough that your ears rather than your knees end up listening to it.

The weight difference between an expensive old cast frame 15" with big magnet and an equivalent quality neo one is massive - I wonder if we'll see more people using 15"s now that 2x15" cabs can weigh less than a 4x10"?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='140186' date='Feb 14 2008, 11:51 AM']See, I told you you'd be better off with 15"s! :)

That 2x15" is about 2" bigger in each direction than the 15"+6" I'm building - nice and manageable to move but tall enough that your ears rather than your knees end up listening to it.

The weight difference between an expensive old cast frame 15" with big magnet and an equivalent quality neo one is massive - I wonder if we'll see more people using 15"s now that 2x15" cabs can weigh less than a 4x10"?

Alex[/quote]

Right you were sir- I'm still in the honeymoon period with this cab, I'm pretty sure it's going to fulfill my needs but I bought it knowing a had a week to road test it and could return it if I wanted.

I would have liked to see this cab with a midrange driver but in practice it works perfectly without.

Interesting comments about the LMK v's the GK I think sometimes we can get to hung up on portability and forget about sound.

I've always liked the sound of 15's, probably one of the things with the 2 x15 is the fact that it just brings one of the speakers closer to ear level, which I always found a problem when using a 1 x15. But the thought of a full weight 2 x 15 is not one that fills me with joy, Alex is probably right we may well see more 15's now they can be made so light.

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='gilmour' post='140409' date='Feb 14 2008, 04:02 PM']Alex is probably right we may well see more 15's now they can be made so light.[/quote]

I'm still in shock at how incredibly light an Kappalite 3015LF is out of the box!

The height thing makes even more of a difference with 15" speakers as if you don't have a separate midrange speaker the upper midrange output becomes very directional, so although a 15" cab might be making a great sound if you put your head on the floor it won't be so clear when you're vertical. My DIY cab will have the bottom of the 15" about 10" off the ground and then the 6" mid above the 15" (offset to minimise baffle step issues).

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='140422' date='Feb 14 2008, 04:16 PM']I'm still in shock at how incredibly light an Kappalite 3015LF is out of the box!

The height thing makes even more of a difference with 15" speakers as if you don't have a separate midrange speaker the upper midrange output becomes very directional, so although a 15" cab might be making a great sound if you put your head on the floor it won't be so clear when you're vertical. My DIY cab will have the bottom of the 15" about 10" off the ground and then the 6" mid above the 15" (offset to minimise baffle step issues).

Alex[/quote]

Yeah it weighs nothing, I think my 8" midrange driver was heavier!

Interesting to see that you're moving your woofer off of the floor. I did a gig shortly before christmas with my 1x15 and the support band was using my backline he complained that he couldn't here anything he was playing. He'd cranked the amp up so loud that it wasn't in the PA mix at all (200 capacity venue - 2k PA), but was still drowning everything else out, yet he still couldn't hear it, sound ehhh? My soloution was to stick some music books under the front of the cab so it was at a slight angle pointing towards me, it was fine.

I doubt Russ will have this problem, that 2x15 looks sweet, and should be really audible - partially because of speakers being near ear level, and partially because it's HUGE :)

I have a big 'ol silver flight case box (not a rack) that I carry my Head about in, whenever I do a gig with a one cab setup, either the 4x8 or the 1x15, I always put the cab on top of the Box, Having your sound at waist height is what its all about.

Si

Unfortunately after spending quite a bit of time with this cab, I've decided It's not for me- I love the sound of the markbass 15's but I'm really missing having 10's in the equation to clear things up a little in the mids.

It's an excellent cab- I'm going to try to get hold of a 151HR to go with my 2x10

I'll be taking it back tomorrow.

R

[quote name='mr_russ' post='140389' date='Feb 14 2008, 03:39 PM']I would have liked to see this cab with a midrange driver but in practice it works perfectly without.[/quote]

[quote name='mr_russ' post='141958' date='Feb 17 2008, 04:15 PM']Unfortunately after spending quite a bit of time with this cab, I've decided It's not for me- I love the sound of the markbass 15's but I'm really missing having 10's in the equation to clear things up a little in the mids.[/quote]

That's where a midrange driver instead of horn would make more sense. Unfortunately it costs a lot more to add a decent mid than it does to use a generic horn tweeter so very few manufacturers do the right thing.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='142294' date='Feb 18 2008, 09:17 AM']That's where a midrange driver instead of horn would make more sense. Unfortunately it costs a lot more to add a decent mid than it does to use a generic horn tweeter so very few manufacturers do the right thing.

Alex[/quote]
Definatley, I'd probably go with an 8" rather than a 10 if it's the ids that aren;t clear enough.

I think I'm right in saying that to avoid comb filtering if you have cabs with mixed speaker sizes you need to use a crossover?

Now I have a cab with a crossover I have no Idea how I managed without :)