Why become a member? ×

Boss LMB-3 good idea?

holio.cornolio

I have a sort of love hate relationship with compressors. I currently have a few pedals that see regular use, an orange squeezer clone, a Ross Clone and an AMZ S-Comp, all of which are great compressors, but aren't really doing what I want. The closest is the Orange squeezer which gives a reasonably natural sound which I like, but it's a tad too natural.

I want something which can give me a bit more squish, but I'm not looking for sustain, and I find that the other 2 pedals I have do great squish, but also amplify all the fretboard noise and other artifacts. I guess what I really want is a limiter, and I like the idea of the enhancer part of the LMB, but are they any good?? I'm not too worried about noise as it will only ever be used live. anyone have any experience of these??

Ta

the enhancer will "amplify all the fretboard noise and other artifacts" and is also utter sh*t.

As a limiter though, it's a great pedal! If you get the threshold set right you should be able to avoid amplifying your unwanted artifacts or adding loads of sustain.

Have a look on here, lots of great advice about compression and peak limiting: [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url].

Aside from the Boss LMB-3 which seems like a good choice (see the review in link), the Aguilar TLC, Markbass Compressore, Demeter Compulator and FEA Comp-Limiter sound like they're worth your attention too.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1212423' date='Apr 27 2011, 11:03 AM']the enhancer will "amplify all the fretboard noise and other artifacts" and is also utter sh*t.

As a limiter though, it's a great pedal! If you get the threshold set right you should be able to avoid amplifying your unwanted artifacts or adding loads of sustain.[/quote]

Agreed - I never use the enhancer but the limiter is excellent - I struggled with several compressors before i realised what I actually wanted was a limiter i.e. roll off signal above a given threshold.

I'm assuming that this is a like for like knock off of the LMB-3 [url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-440-glx-bass-guitar-effects-pedal-bosshog-series-bass-limiter-pedal.aspx"]http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-440-gl...iter-pedal.aspx[/url]
anyone know different, as the price makes it quite tempting....

[quote name='keeponehandloose' post='1212530' date='Apr 27 2011, 12:43 PM']I found the enhancer to be too noisy to be practical on the
Lmb3.
Ever thought of looking out out for it's predecessor,
CS2,they come up regular on eBay. It has a far better sound to it.[/quote]

I think the CS2 is a completely different pedal rather than a predecessor as it is a compressor not a limiter which gives a very different effect.

• 1 year later...

Yes, the LMB-3 is a great limiter. The "enhancer" bit isn't much cop though. Makes whatever hiss there is there even hissier. Should have called it a hiss enhancer ;)

I don't have it any more though. I'm trying to teach myself to be my own limiter.

I use an LMB-3, I think it's good for a relatively cheap pedal. As others have mentioned, the enhancer is poor, I leave mine set to zero.

As a limiter, it works well, pretty transparently flattens out the peaks which helps a lot if you're going for a fairly smooth, even sound.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1365684264' post='2042829']
I use an LMB-3, I think it's good for a relatively cheap pedal.

[/quote]

It is a fantastic pedal for the price.

The enhance while being poo also creates a mid scoop on your sound.
Personally would go with something with more control partically if you want it to squish and sustain.