Why become a member? ×

You Love Is King-Sade

phsycoandy

I know its a "Girlie" song, but we played it the other night with a great sax player and it just one of those songs that makes you tingle! great bass line, soulful,funky,walking and easy, just a great end of an evening smoochy song, love it.
Anyone else been there? if you know what I mean

Edited by phsycoandy

MB1. :)
Saw her in Manchester with her band many moons ago when that track came out as a single off Diamond life. She is indeed a very good singer and stunningly beautiful. Her bass player played a musicman stingray under his chin (very high) and still does apparently! Great band smoochy or not!. :huh:

[quote name='MB1' post='139016' date='Feb 12 2008, 06:56 PM']MB1. :)
Saw her in Manchester with her band many moons ago when that track came out as a single off Diamond life. She is indeed a very good singer and stunningly beautiful. Her bass player played a musicman stingray under his chin (very high) and still does apparently! Great band smoochy or not!. :huh:[/quote]

The bass player is Paul S. Denman.
Think he lives in LA now.
pj

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='138988' date='Feb 12 2008, 06:01 PM']I know its a "Girlie" song, but we played it the other night with a great sax player and it just one of those songs that makes you tingle! great bass line, soulful,funky,walking and easy, just a great end of an evening smoochy song, love it.
Anyone else been there? if you know what I mean[/quote]
It's a great song, almost too classy for pop music.. And she definitely had star quality and a unique voice!

I remember seing that footage on The Tube recently. As said earlier, the bass player had his Stingray up around his chin somewhere a la Mark King as was the fashion back then...I think the guy from Talk Talk & Andy McClusky used to play a bit like that as well...an anti Hooky!

I seem to remember him being quite small as the Stingray looked huge!

That reminds me of a great quote from Peter Hook who was asked why he slung his bass so low.

"Otherwise I'd look like that **** from Level 42"

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='139559' date='Feb 13 2008, 03:00 PM']That reminds me of a great quote from Peter Hook who was asked why he slung his bass so low.

"Otherwise I'd look like that **** from Level 42"[/quote]

Or how about the immortal one from JJ Burnel upon a chance meeting with the Kinger

"the problem with your band is it needs a f**kin bass player" - brilliant!

Dave

Edited by pnefc42

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='139559' date='Feb 13 2008, 03:00 PM']That reminds me of a great quote from Peter Hook who was asked why he slung his bass so low.

"Otherwise I'd look like that **** from Level 42"[/quote]

:)

[quote name='pnefc42' post='139440' date='Feb 13 2008, 12:43 PM']A function band I play in have 'Smooth Operator' on the set list (from the same album) - quality stuff!

Cheers
Dave[/quote]
LOL the very first tune I learnt to play, bass, guitar or otherwise. My brother bought the single when it was in the charts and for some weird (seeing as I was a punk at the time) reason I spent a whole day in my bedroom sussing it out on my crappy wooden record player that only played 45's and had an actual sewing needle glued into the stylus and my step-dads Rik 4001 which I had only just been allowed to touch unsupervised, then I invited my mum upstairs to show her the fruits of my efforts. She stood in the doorway, waited until I finished then calmly said something like "Oh that's nice dear" and walked out again...... From that moment on I was hooked on that rush you get from an appreciative audience. :)

just watched this
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVVMkuWnng"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVVMkuWnng[/url]
i hadnt realised quite how sexy sade is, so i asked my daughter, she says bold as brass well its cause she doesnt move she just suggest it!
my im getting to be a sad old git!