Why become a member? ×

shimming a neck

Hi guys and gals and those that can go either way!!!!

I got a beutiful bass with hipshot brigde , and a nut but also has a zero fret,its a cracking bass for the dough i paid but,
im happy with the action near the nut but when it gets near to the pickups its queit high,
i have set the truss rod with a little relief and the hipshot brigde saddles are queit low.

Im gonna put some new super step strings on the bass and hope this is enough to lower the strings near the pickups.
but it may still be a tad high so im thinking about shimming the neck
its a bolt on neck.

So how do i shim the neck ?
do you use plastic spacers(1mm would prob do it) or wood or metal ,
is it more a luthiers job?

kindest regards
ziggy.

Are you doing it to adjust the angle of the neck or just to raise the neck up?

I just use card for changing neck tilt, my advice is to imagine how much you think you'll need and then use half that amount!
There's a full guide stickied here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49897"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49897[/url]

oh well two hrs later still alot of buzzing at the first few frets till about the 8th fret,
can only eliminate it by raising the action then the strings seem tight!!!!
it may need a new nut/zero fret as the neck is definately not gonna change enough by the truss rod alone!!!! :)

trip to the gallery me thinks!!
ill leave the neck to settle for a few days
night all.
zigs

If its buzzing at the bottom end then that would indicate not enough relief in the neck.

The way I've always done it (which may or may not be correct) is that if I'm getting buzzing in the lower frets then I need to add more relief and if the higher frets are buzzing then I need to straighten the neck more. If it buzzes the full length of the neck then I just need to raise the action.

If the bridge saddles bottom out, ie you can't lower them anymore but the action is still too high for you then that would be the time to shim the neck. i don't have any pics but I usually cut out a section of my worktop edging so that it fits in from the body end and just comes past the neck screws nearest the body and then cut out enough to let the screws miss it if that makes sense.

The super step strings won't make a difference to the action of the bass other than you have to raise the bridge saddles to compensate for the lack of mass as the strings pass over the saddles. I think they're more for sound difference rather than helping you acheive lower action

Edited by Delberthot

I read your entry as there being fret-buzzing from the nut to about the 8th fret.

If this is so, then there is back-bow in your neck & you need to release the truss rod a little - anti-clockwise by 1/4 to 1/2 a turn then wait a while & test.

This should get you a *better* action with much lessened buzz, but you will probably have to adjust the bridge saddles.

How is the nut-height? - when you hold the string down between the 2nd & 3rd frets you should just about be able to slip a cigarette paper between the 1st fret & the string.

G.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1210638' date='Apr 25 2011, 09:18 AM']If its buzzing at the bottom end then that would indicate not enough relief in the neck.

The way I've always done it (which may or may not be correct) is that if I'm getting buzzing in the lower frets then I need to add more relief and if the higher frets are buzzing then I need to straighten the neck more. If it buzzes the full length of the neck then I just need to raise the action.

If the bridge saddles bottom out, ie you can't lower them anymore but the action is still too high for you then that would be the time to shim the neck. i don't have any pics but I usually cut out a section of my worktop edging so that it fits in from the body end and just comes past the neck screws nearest the body and then cut out enough to let the screws miss it if that makes sense.

The super step strings won't make a difference to the action of the bass other than you have to raise the bridge saddles to compensate for the lack of mass as the strings pass over the saddles. I think they're more for sound difference rather than helping you acheive lower action[/quote]

yeah thank you guvnor ,
i just realised as well that shimmimng the neck may not work beacause of the shape of the neck /pocket,
the top nut is weird =
it has a nut and a zero fret, so i guess the nut is just a string guide and the zero fret is a zero fret , so im now thinking that the zero fret could mayb need relpacing or the string guide/nut changed and do away with the zero fret,
ill take it to the boys down the gallery as i wanna give the bass a chance rather than moving it on!!!!
cheers again
ive added pics of relief at pickups and the side veiw of the nut .
enjoy.

That's a lovely looking bass Zigg what is it?
I've just finished shiming the neck on my wal 6, I used the cardboard top from a rizla packet & its done the trick, I just need to file the nut slightly, It's a shame you don't live closer, I could sort it out for you,

All the best
Al

hi guvnor,
its from bulgaria ,its made by a guy called zvento,
its a copy of al elrick jazz , its got nortstrands and an agy 3band with a vtc pot too!!
and its got mid switch and passive active, its lovely but there are a couple of issues with the bass just small ones.

im sorry i havent got bak to u regarding head but i got another deal im working on too so just looking at dough situation!

the way the neck is in the pocket i rekon it will be hard to get it shimmed up.
i goto go to the gallery soon anyways so ill take it in

glad you are well mate youre Wal is stunning.

ziggy.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1210904' date='Apr 25 2011, 02:28 PM']Wow. That's gotta sound fierce. :)[/quote]

yeah its a bit of a beast
but the electrics seem to be a bit niosy which i gotto sort out!!!

the dip swicth pops on the midrange when you change it over and there is alot of niose but it will be wicked when i get it sorted :)