Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection

garymilitia

Hello,

I was in Andertons on Saturday and they had loads of these Bass Collection, Basses and has some really nice looking Rickebacker shaped ones in stock. I had a go on the P bass they had while trying out some pedals, and it was really nice. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them.

Here is a link to the Rickenbacker [url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection/BC016.html"]Bass Collection[/url]

p.s. I'm back from a long time off playing bass and in a new band and back to browsing the forums, while rebuilding my gear...

[quote name='big25g' post='1204636' date='Apr 19 2011, 12:12 PM']Hello,

I was in Andertons on Saturday and they had loads of these Bass Collection, Basses and has some really nice looking Rickebacker shaped ones in stock. I had a go on the P bass they had while trying out some pedals, and it was really nice. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them.

Here is a link to the Rickenbacker [url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection/BC016.html"]Bass Collection[/url]

p.s. I'm back from a long time off playing bass and in a new band and back to browsing the forums, while rebuilding my gear...[/quote]
Hey, glad you've come back into the light! Good luck with it all - let us know how it goes.
My personal advice is to look at what's available 'pre-owned' rather than buying new.
There are so many good instruments, at all levels of price, for sale on this forum. I've both bought and sold here and it's always gone well.
As recent threads here testify, a new bass straight form a retailer often needs some kind of set-up work. In my experience you're more likely to get a bass 'ready for action' pre-owned from a Basschater than from most shops.
Anyway, that's my 2pees worth.

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1205120' date='Apr 19 2011, 07:40 PM']Hey, glad you've come back into the light! Good luck with it all - let us know how it goes.
My personal advice is to look at what's available 'pre-owned' rather than buying new.
There are so many good instruments, at all levels of price, for sale on this forum. I've both bought and sold here and it's always gone well.
As recent threads here testify, a new bass straight form a retailer often needs some kind of set-up work. In my experience you're more likely to get a bass 'ready for action' pre-owned from a Basschater than from most shops.
Anyway, that's my 2pees worth.[/quote]

Good advice imho ,and do you get any neck dive from the guiatr in your avatar? :)

+1 re for sale section

I also was in andertons a few weeks back and they did seem swamped with bass collection basses

Some nice coloured Ps and Ric copies

I think the bass collection has good reviews, it is strange how they don't get discussed on here that much

They look great (except the logo)

Anyone got one?

Thanks guys, yeah I am keeping an eye on For sale section.. Just wondering what peoples thoughts where on the Bass Collection. Agreed with lojo Andertons are inundated with them and the logo looks really naff... I was using the P Bass copy and it felt very solid and played really well.

Maybe they are the basses that we shall not speak :)

I borrowed a Bass Collection bass for one of my first gigs and I've wanted one, or at least to check more of them out, ever since. I wish I could remember what it was though, as it didn't seem like a direct copy of anything in particular. After a quick search I can't even find a website for them.

Anyway, the bass felt really light and sounded great. Although that was before I'd tried a lot of different guitars, so I may have different opinions of it now.

[quote name='burray' post='1205585' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:19 AM']I borrowed a Bass Collection bass for one of my first gigs and I've wanted one, or at least to check more of them out, ever since. I wish I could remember what it was though, as it didn't seem like a direct copy of anything in particular. After a quick search I can't even find a website for them.

Anyway, the bass felt really light and sounded great. Although that was before I'd tried a lot of different guitars, so I may have different opinions of it now.[/quote]

It could have been one of the original SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses?

My opinion....

[b]wouldn't touch them with a barge pole[/b]

dubious far eastern provenance, rebadged with a name (Bass Collection) which is confusing to the public, if you recall Bass Collection in the late 80's early 90's used to make some very good Japanese basses that looked like Ibanez, made by the excellent factory SGC Nanyo Japan, these were built and played very well see pic below:

However the ones that The Bass Centre is selling now with the same name have nothing to do with the Nanyo factory, they are from Indonesia, they are built as copies of Rickenbackers, Fender etc and I have found them to be poo, and very tacky too.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1205612' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:52 AM']My opinion....

[b]wouldn't touch them with a barge pole[/b]

dubious far eastern provenance, rebadged with a name (Bass Collection) which is confusing to the public, if you recall Bass Collection in the late 80's early 90's used to make some very good Japanese basses that looked like Ibanez, made by the excellent factory SGC Nanyo Japan, these were built and played very well see pic below:

However the ones that The Bass Centre is selling now with the same name have nothing to do with the Nanyo factory, they are from Indonesia, they are built as copies of Rickenbackers, Fender etc and I have found them to be poo, and very tacky too.[/quote]

****WARNING - EXCUSE THE FOLLOWING SWEEPING GENERALISATIONS ****

I've not seen one of these noo Bass Collections in the flesh but I'm sure the reviews I've seen for the J and P say they're Korean built (and go on to praise them). Maybe they've gone the way of Lakland Skylines and have moved production to Indonesia but if Korean I wouldn't have any qualms about qualideee after the two Korean Laklands I've owned: Defo better finished than mass-produced US built gear I've owned so far. Not seen a new Indonesian Skyline in the flesh either tho so wtf do I kno. But we'd have been saying this about Japanese basses in the early seventies and nobody's saying [i]that[/i] now.

'Dubious far eastern provenance' applies to the new cheapy Overwood/Tanglewaters too tho, which seem to hail from different countries in the region every time I read about them. Yet mostly good things being said about them too.

I dunno. I do know that the logo is nasty-in-an-offensive-80s-font kind of way. The sort of font they'd have used for the Benny Hill title sequence... Actually, I'm warming to it now...

Edited by sime17

OK, well I've got the Bass Collection 'Blues Bass' which is has an SG shaped body, 2 p/u, 32" scale length. Had it for 3 or 4 months, rehearsed with it weekly and gigged with it twice in my covers band (60's to today). So far, very happy with it, medium scale length great for my small arthritic hands, very nice sound through my Markbass, all in all it is great, feels very nice and comfy, good sound for what I play - have used it with my new blues project too. Bought from the Bass Centre, very nicely set up and ready to go! Bought it on a Friday afternoon, gigged with it on the Saturday ( did give it a serious workout on the Friday night in my defence). Only issue I have is that as a Precision player normally, I keep looking for somewhere to put my thumb, as I am a finger player! I may add a thumbrest, otherwise a great bass!

When I buy a bass, one of the things I take into consideration is, if I sold it or traded it in for a better bass, would I get the money I paid for it? Which is why I've always bought 'preloved'.
I may try out basses in music shops but although I've owned 9 basses I've only ever bought one of them brand new (and lost a lot of money when I ended up selling it).

There's usually plenty to choose from in the for sale section for the price of a brand new bass collection instrument and if it doesn't suit you you can always sell it on for around what you paid for it.

[quote name='gjones' post='1209175' date='Apr 23 2011, 06:05 AM']When I buy a bass, one of the things I take into consideration is, if I sold it or traded it in for a better bass, would I get the money I paid for it? Which is why I've always bought 'preloved'.
I may try out basses in music shops but although I've owned 9 basses I've only ever bought one of them brand new (and lost a lot of money when I ended up selling it).

There's usually plenty to choose from in the for sale section for the price of a brand new bass collection instrument and if it doesn't suit you you can always sell it on for around what you paid for it.[/quote]

Used gold and diamonds? Maybe. Used dollars - always have and prolly will for a while yet - but used musical instruments are just too intimately personal to me. I might come off as crass here - but I never buy anything with an eye to profiteering on it later.

What I buy I buy for [u]my[/u] enjoyment and not for someone to buy or own with my marks on it down the road when I am trying to get my money back. Sorry - it's prolly just me but I like new and that's what I buy and I have very little appreciation for used gear.

I refuse to buy anything used in the form of a musical instrument (I don't care if it was kissed by the angels and played in the presence of royalty) or that has been owned by someone before me.

That'd be like buying used underwear and regurgitated steak.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1209690' date='Apr 23 2011, 11:55 PM']That'd be like buying used underwear and regurgitated steak.[/quote]

I do draw the line at regurgitated steak. Although my women have all been secondhand.