Why become a member? ×

GONE: Sandberg Custom Shop PM5 light reliced 5 String Bass

Old Horse Murphy

I picked this up in a trade plus cash (from me) recently and it is a superb bass. It's a Sandberg PM5 Custom Shop in a gorgeous yellowed colour and has been sympathetically reliced.

Build quality, playability and sounds are amazing and it has got to be one of the best put-together basses I've had in my mitts. The Delano pickups and preamp are superb and the range of tones available from the P Bass pickup and the MM pickup will surely cover everything you would need.

I've measured the scale from nut to bridge and it's the same as my Fender P bass. Due to a hand/arm injury, I have problems playing a 5 string bass :)

Weight-wise I would say it's 9lbs (ish) but can check later. The pickup blend pot is a bit scratchy and could probably due with resoldering or cleaning and I have taken this in to account with the price.

Now traded :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

As tempting as that is, it's on its way back to Bulgaria due to a trade that fell through so I won't have any trade bait.
Ah well, nevermind eh?

Truckstop

edit: and I've just realised/remembered you already have one and are possibly being facetitious! :) :)

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1204725' date='Apr 19 2011, 01:27 PM']As tempting as that is, it's on its way back to Bulgaria due to a trade that fell through so I won't have any trade bait.
Ah well, nevermind eh?

Truckstop

edit: and I've just realised/remembered you already have one and are possibly being facetitious! :lol: :)[/quote]

I was being serious. I had a potential modding idea :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='1203373' date='Apr 18 2011, 10:49 AM']I picked this up in a trade plus cash (from me) recently and it is a superb bass. It's a Sandberg PM5 Custom Shop in a gorgeous yellowed colour and has been sympathetically reliced.

Build quality, playability and sounds are amazing and it has got to be one of the best put-together basses I've had in my mitts. The Delano pickups and preamp are superb and the range of tones available from the P Bass pickup and the MM pickup will surely cover everything you would need.

I've measured the scale from nut to bridge and it's the same as my Fender P bass. Due to a hand/arm injury, I have problems playing a 5 string bass :)

Weight-wise I would say it's 9lbs (ish) but can check later.

Price-wise I would be looking for £950 or for a trade of a similar value (4 string only I'm afraid and probably passive- I'm a massive Fender P fan :)). I'd also be happy with cash plus a bass or cash plus an Epifani cab (3x10 or 2x12).

Further pics are here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=132059&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=132059&hl=[/url][/quote]

hay man what happen with the bass was it not your cup of tea in the end of the day :/ hope you find what you want

[quote name='rafael_bassplayer' post='1207833' date='Apr 22 2011, 03:32 AM']hay man what happen with the bass was it not your cup of tea in the end of the day :/ hope you find what you want[/quote]

Hi mate. It's a superb bass and the build quality and playability is better than pretty much any other bass I've owned.

Just struggling with the extra string due to my hand/forearm injury from a while ago :)

A PM5 is definitely on my GAS list, and that's a great price ... but the relic finish is making me pause ...

How much relicing has been done to the neck ? Do you think the relicing could be undone with just a body refin ? Or is the body too physically marked for that ?

How would you class the the sound of the P pickup ? For instance, where on the scale of vintage -> modern would you put it ? Does it sound warm ? aggressive ? Fat ? Deep ? Thumpy ? Punchy ?

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1211153' date='Apr 25 2011, 07:41 PM']A PM5 is definitely on my GAS list, and that's a great price ... but the relic finish is making me pause ...

How much relicing has been done to the neck ? Do you think the relicing could be undone with just a body refin ? Or is the body too physically marked for that ?

How would you class the the sound of the P pickup ? For instance, where on the scale of vintage -> modern would you put it ? Does it sound warm ? aggressive ? Fat ? Deep ? Thumpy ? Punchy ?

Andy[/quote]

Hi Andy

The neck isn't reliced at all apart from a couple of dings on the headstock. The neck is varnished as per old Fenders but no relicing. The body has a few small dings but if you wanted to refin I think it would be relatively easy.

The P pickup is very warm and with the eq it can go from punchy through to deep dub to mellow. Personally I think it's one of the best eq systems out there as it doesn't sound TOO active.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='1211798' date='Apr 26 2011, 04:41 PM']Hi

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't have a single coil tap (99% sure).

Cheers[/quote]

Unless it was included as an additional extra, the PM models are equipped with only the following controls:
- volume
- pickup blend
- bass cut/boost
- treble cut/boost.

thanks for that - its just that i saw another S'berg here, more like like a jazz, with the tap switch. Thought this might might have been hidden in a pull pot, Shame it dont...but what the hey...still a cool bass.....have a bump on me.......!

What a lovely bass. Really understated but with so many features. Plus you don't have to worry about dinging it (too much). If I wasn't committed elsewhere, I'd bag this for this great price.

[quote name='visog' post='1216768' date='May 1 2011, 07:04 PM']What a lovely bass. Really understated but with so many features. Plus you don't have to worry about dinging it (too much). If I wasn't committed elsewhere, I'd bag this for this great price.[/quote]

Thanks mate

Now fitted with a brand new set of La Bella Deep Talkin flats too