Why become a member? ×

Recording starts tonight

paul_5

So anyways, tonight I have promised myself that I'll have the basslines for at least 6 original tracks done. The Ampeg has been retubed, basses restrung, pedalboard assembled and I'm ready to go. It's all unusual stuff (5/4, 7/4 etc...), but listenable (well, to me at least). Most of the guitars are done, the drums are sorted (EZ drummer), and even the Glockenspiel parts are done.

Anyone else save the best for last?

no sorry, do it exactly the opposite way round when recording at home (admittedly rubbish demos). Get the bass parts down first as they're the most set in stone/practised. Then program the drums, then guitar, then vocals.

Having said that, I often use recording as an aid to writing so might do it that way because I tend to come up with bass parts first.

Good luck with the recording! let us know how it goes.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1198611' date='Apr 13 2011, 07:54 PM']Bass last if I get that luxury. You cant record a b-line and know its right without the vocal there IMO....[/quote]
Absolutely; you can't 'serve the song' if you don't know what it is!

Yep, like others here I tend to do it in reverse: start with a bassline and work backwards through drums, lead and so on.

I tend to make fairly bass-driven electronic stuff, which often starts out with a bassline and evolves from there. Not necessarily the "right" way by any means, but that's just how my head is wired! ;-)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1198611' date='Apr 13 2011, 07:54 PM']Bass last if I get that luxury. You cant record a b-line and know its right without the vocal there IMO....[/quote]

I'd like to +1 the above, from my very limited experience.

I posted a thread about what I might do to improve my basslines - and, thinking back over the history of the band, it was very bloody hard in the beginning before we found a vocalist. You try and do so much, whereas what you're seeking is that perfect blend.

Ah well, I'm learning.