Why become a member? ×

westone thunder 1 A

Kev

theres on for sale at my local music buy sell place

not great cosmetics, wood is pretty worn and dinged in places, but still looks nice, with the thru neck style body, but with a bolt on neck. voume knob missing. its the active 80's one with the precision pickup with the switch for series/parallel, and the active passive switch. it plays really well, great punchy tone, but i didnt get chance to try it in active mode, daft bugger didnt have any 9v batteries to put in it! (it takes two, which suprises me as it only has one active eq knob, boost n cuts bass and treble at the same time, in additon to a passive tone knob)

they are askin for £150, which seems to be above the average costs iv found on the net, but the guy doesnt seem to wanna go down much. opinions?? i think a few guys have one on here

• 3 months later...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='136885' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:20 PM']theres on for sale at my local music buy sell place

not great cosmetics, wood is pretty worn and dinged in places, but still looks nice, with the thru neck style body, but with a bolt on neck. voume knob missing. its the active 80's one with the precision pickup with the switch for series/parallel, and the active passive switch. it plays really well, great punchy tone, but i didnt get chance to try it in active mode, daft bugger didnt have any 9v batteries to put in it! (it takes two, which suprises me as it only has one active eq knob, boost n cuts bass and treble at the same time, in additon to a passive tone knob)

they are askin for £150, which seems to be above the average costs iv found on the net, but the guy doesnt seem to wanna go down much. opinions?? i think a few guys have one on here[/quote]

fine basses - I have a modified 1A , a black 1 , and a later fretless ( different pickup / bridge ).
but from your description £150 is too much I reckon.
I'm guessing from what you wrote that it's pretty much a buy/sell place ie they don't pay a lot of attention to the playability setup etc. ?
Otherwise I reckon they'd have sorted the issing knob ?
Depends if you're happy to look at that yourself but if it needs a fret dress - quite likely given the vintage depending on your playing style - that's not cheap.
Against that it is a retail situation so not likely to be as good a price as a private sale.
From the description / problems I'd say £110ish with a (cheap) set of strings thrown in, guessing that it hasn't been restrung in the shop.

£150.00 is way too much I have just sold one on here for £135.00 and it looks barely several years old , with everything as it should be. A few come up on ebay which is where I got mine a few years ago. £90-£110 should get a good one £140 a cracker and £175-£200 one that looks like its not been out of the case.
Everybody raves about these basses (with good reason) but nobody seems prepared to pay good money for them ?
A good Spectrum LX can be had for £70-£80 or the Thunder 1 without the active for about £20.00 less than the active.
The Thunder 3A with the through neck is worth more with the last one I saw on ebay going for £250.00
If you buy any of the Westone basses you won't be disappointed, they are excellent for the money.

Heres a good site for technical info [url="http://www.westone.info/indexbasses.html"]Westone Bass Specificatons[/url]