Why become a member? ×

KSD design bass 5

ian

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136138' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:44 PM']Silverfoxnik had one. I'e got a 4 string but its no GB.[/quote]
He's had one of everything :)

Keep meaning to try one in Brighton Guitars, but at present my GAS has pretty much subsided

[quote name='WalMan' post='136144' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:54 PM']He's had one of everything :)

Keep meaning to try one in Brighton Guitars, but at present my GAS has pretty much subsided[/quote]
If only!! :huh:

The KSD's are good value for the money.... But as bass_ferret says, they're not GB's or Sadowsky's, Wals etc..Put an EBS pre-amp in one and they get a lot better though...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the KSD '60s style 4 string, bought direct from Bernie Goodfellow and with the EBS pre-amp (which he also imports) fitted by Bernie's shop. With a decent set up and with my preferred DR Black Beauty 45-105s I don't think I could ask for anything more from a Jazz style bass. The KSDs seem to suffer from a degree of snobbery - no; they're not actually made by Ken Smith. Are they good basses? Hell yes.

Are they better than the equivalent Fenders in their price bracket?

Tough call. In standard spec I'd say maybe.

Are they better than Fenders which cost a similar inflated price as a KSD with the EBS fitted? Absolutely! The KSD / EBS set up is the best Jazz I've heard. And I've owned Sadowsky and Celinder in the past. Build quality is lower than the more esoteric brands obviously (tho not by a huge amount), but value for money is outstanding - and the EBS pre-amp is a real winner.

The truth is - paying £3000 for a Citron or Celinder or £650 for a Goodfellow / EBS modded KSD is a no brainer. The KSD, in strenuous lab conditions, will sound worse, in gig conditons no one will be able to tell where the £2400 difference is justified.

[quote name='Scoop' post='142258' date='Feb 18 2008, 01:23 AM']I've got the KSD '60s style 4 string, bought direct from Bernie Goodfellow and with the EBS pre-amp (which he also imports) fitted by Bernie's shop. With a decent set up and with my preferred DR Black Beauty 45-105s I don't think I could ask for anything more from a Jazz style bass. The KSDs seem to suffer from a degree of snobbery - no; they're not actually made by Ken Smith. Are they good basses? Hell yes.

Are they better than the equivalent Fenders in their price bracket?

Tough call. In standard spec I'd say maybe.

Are they better than Fenders which cost a similar inflated price as a KSD with the EBS fitted? Absolutely! The KSD / EBS set up is the best Jazz I've heard. And I've owned Sadowsky and Celinder in the past. Build quality is lower than the more esoteric brands obviously (tho not by a huge amount), but value for money is outstanding - and the EBS pre-amp is a real winner.

The truth is - paying £3000 for a Citron or Celinder or £650 for a Goodfellow / EBS modded KSD is a no brainer. The KSD, in strenuous lab conditions, will sound worse, in gig conditons no one will be able to tell where the £2400 difference is justified.[/quote]

Nah mate what you really need is a silly 12 string Dean, now that really would be over the top

The EBS pre really is good. I've taken Easts and Auderes out of basses because I think there are more usuable sounds in the EBS pre than others. My Lakland had it's inners ripped out and replaced... and people actually comment on how good it sounds. AND you know nobody ever talks to the bassist after a gig. (It's all about those thin 6 string toys isn't it?) It really is a case of instant Marcus when you put one of those babies in. Of course, you need the Marcus fingers to get the most out of them!

The KSDs are pretty to be honest. The only reason I haven't got one is that I like the 70s maple neck... but don't like the natural body. I was going to get one anyway and have it sprayed up... but then I thought that kind of defeats the point of it. If you are going to get one though, make sure you get one through Bernie and say you want a nice weight body. The bodies that come from the US are pretty variable. You can get really light bodies and really heavy bodies. I think Bernie keeps a stock in to marry them up nicely. Bernie sets them up before shipment so the likelihood is that if you get a KSD from Bernie, it will play better than most (if not all) off the peg Fenders... for less money. With the EBS pre in them... well, I'll be surprised if you can find a stock Fender to beat it.