Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

Skezza

Hi

I have a Fender Jazz bass special (its the one in my Avatar) passive 1984

A friend of mine who does not play the bass bought it brand new from a guitar shop which was going bankrupt about 20+ years ago.

It is mint unused apart from it hung on a hook in the shop and has worn a small patch at the back of the lower point thought to the wood about the size of a 1p piece there is also a slight dent there.

I swapped it for a strat about 6 months ago. It comes in the original c and g case with a scratchplate and screws that has never been fitted.

I have played in the house only but I find it too big and bulky after my bass collections.

So what is it worth if I was to sell it what should I ask for a cash sale. Or what sort of bass guitar would I trade it against.

skez

Edited by Skezza

[quote name='Machines' post='1190356' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:09 PM']Is it USA made ? I'd hazard a guess at £600 to start off, although to someone it's rarity and condition might add more value.[/quote]

Its japanese it the same bass Duff Mcagen uses with the all black jazz neck with black headstock

skez

I bought the active version upgraded with Seymour Duncans a few months back for slightly less than that - £390 plus postage - but I think I got it cheap tbh. Given that yours is largely untouched I would say £450 +/-. This is my 'go to' bass - I've bonded with it big time. If build quality and general ooofness were the only criteria it would be worth more, especially when you think that MIJ Squires of a similar age can fetch ludicrous amounts, but I don't think the market will take more.

[quote name='Skezza' post='1190373' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:19 PM']Its japanese it the same bass Duff Mcagen uses with the all black jazz neck with black headstock

skez[/quote]
Wish I had the funds for this - Duff is one of my fave bassists, but the signature model is way beyond my means, and this one is probably more authentic anyway.

Feck :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1190646' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:26 PM']Wish I had the funds for this - Duff is one of my fave bassists, but the signature model is way beyond my means, and this one is probably more authentic anyway.

Feck :)[/quote]

Amen, Lozz.

[quote name='Skezza' post='1190287' date='Apr 6 2011, 11:19 AM']Hi

I have a Fender Jazz bass special (its the one in my Avatar) passive 1984

A friend of mine who does not play the bass bought it brand new from a guitar shop which was going bankrupt about 20+ years ago.

It is mint unused apart from it hung on a hook in the shop and has worn a small patch at the back of the lower point thought to the wood about the size of a 1p piece there is also a slight dent there.[/quote]

Have a free Bump while i try to convince myself i dont need this bass...

I've got a P bass... I've got a P bass...

Realistically, I would ask about £400 - 410... maybe a bit more, I've seen a few of these on eBay, active ones going for about £430 and passive usually anywhere between £350 and £420 really depending on condition, Mint ones circa £400, and those "Power Basses" occasionally go for more.

Although i did try getting one imported from the US a year or so ago, In Red, was going for £350 but would add another £100 or so to get it shipped and through customs... damn.

I must ask though, is it the type with the black headstock? or does it have the full black neck front and back? love those ones... *drool*

Edited by son of frog