Why become a member? ×

I offer free delivery and I'm contravening eBay rules! WTF

I've got 4 basses listed on ebay at present and I've offered free 'basic' delivery on all of them. Now though I confess I'd not be happy to send an expensive bass without insurance, I'd decided that I'd leave the issue of insurance up to the buyer and they could add that to whatever level they like. This seemed about the fairest way to be sure I didn't have accusations of inflating delivery costs and it also made it appealing for prospective buyers.

However... I've had a message that I am contravening eBay rules/T&C by trying to bypass ebay fees and my listings may be terminated if I don't either include a delivery fee OR offer free delivery but remove the request that buyers pay insurance! Now how the hell they come to that conclusion I have no idea but I'm at the point where I'm tempted to say stick it and close my account. Tw4ts! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1183778' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:44 PM']i guess the fact that you're adding options to pay for insurance complicates the 'free'ness of the postage. also what courier are you using. i gather that most companies DO NOT insure musical instruments.[/quote]

I admit it 'clouds' the issue of free postage but at the end of the day I WILL send it free with no insurance. Both UPS and DHL offer insurance for musical instruments BUT it isn't cheap to add the insurance... hence my offer.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1183822' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:12 PM']Word of warning if you send it non insured because the buyer wanted the cheapie option and it gets there damaged your the one out of pocket.

Basically because of the T&Cs it's your responsibility until they get it. Regardless of how the buyer wants it sent and for how much.

You're actually leaving yourself open for a dodgy buyer to fleece you.[/quote]
You are both right and also incorrect...
I now include my terms in all my ads for High end instruments.................YOU NEED TO MAKE IT STAND OUT TOO.
OFFER UNINSURED AT BUYERS RISK or INSURED AT BUYERS COST.......Its not cheap and will lose you sales..
I am packing in ebaying instruments and will be becoming a Gumtree & Preloved subscriber as well as an odd one or 2 here

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1183799' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:57 PM']Is their pound of flesh worked out on the total fee (incl p&p) paid by the seller?[/quote]
I've not looked into that but you can bet your bottom dollar there's something in what you say! :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1183822' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:12 PM']Basically because of the T&Cs it's your responsibility until they get it. Regardless of how the buyer wants it sent and for how much.[/quote]
Hmmmm... I know what you mean and despite the fact that I've now clearly stated that insurance is at the buyers risk/option, it'd be just my luck to get scr3wed on this.

All in all I might have to rethink my strategy! :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1183855' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:33 PM']well my only time getting stung I listed it with P&P at the cheapest rate but had all that in the ad. Paypal and Ebay went against me saying it was all my responsibility .

Basically said that it was up to the seller to get the item there in one piece and covered regardless of how the buyer wants it done..

So now I only list it with insurance or pick up only.[/quote]
Ebay will take a back seat and leave it all to PAYPAL.......................SO long as the evidence is CLEAR they will support you under seller protection...I had a case where they supported me as a buyer and the seller neither of us lost anything and I got my money back and a free Gibson mandolin...Work that one out???? :)
I find GUMTREE & PRELOVED much better it may not give the amount of exposure you get with EB but enquiries are usually good for a sale..and fairly local

I despise Ebay as a seller.

I regularly write to their senior management to convey my irks with using their service. Hopefully - one day - they will get the message that, for all their success, their proposition remains a flawed and fundamentally frustrating business.

It's a common scam that people will buy items that are sent through the normal post, not signed for, then claim that they never arrived, and get a refund. The seller can do nothing, as ebay/paypal will ask them for a tracking number, and the seller won't be able to provide one. Refund ensues, and the seller is out of pocket.

A lot of ebay listings will state that the seller will obtain proof of posting, and that no responsibility will be taken by the seller for items lost or damaged in the post. This achieves nothing, as ebay/paypal will still hold the seller responsible, and insist on a tracking number showing delivery. No such tracking number = seller refunds buyer. People who do this sort of scam often target those listings which say "proof of posting will be obtained but the seller takes no responsibility for loss or damage in the post" as the scammers know that the goods will be sent by normal post without tracking.

Even sending an item signed for isn't enough, because a fair proportion of "signed for" post is delivered without a signature being obtained.

In some cases ebay/paypal will decide on a "no fault" resolution where ebay will compensate the buyer from its own pocket without charging the seller. However, this is not typical, and in most disputes of this type, the seller will be the one out of pocket.

If people don't believe that the above is a correct description of the situation, I suggest that they visit the Ebay Seller Central forum and ask the professional sellers who hang out there.

Unlike the real world, ebay is definitely "seller beware".

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1183767' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:39 PM']I've got 4 basses listed on ebay at present and I've offered free 'basic' delivery on all of them. Now though I confess I'd not be happy to send an expensive bass without insurance, I'd decided that I'd leave the issue of insurance up to the buyer and they could add that to whatever level they like. This seemed about the fairest way to be sure I didn't have accusations of inflating delivery costs and it also made it appealing for prospective buyers.

However... I've had a message that I am contravening eBay rules/T&C by trying to bypass ebay fees and my listings may be terminated if I don't either include a delivery fee OR offer free delivery but remove the request that buyers pay insurance! Now how the hell they come to that conclusion I have no idea but I'm at the point where I'm tempted to say stick it and close my account. Tw4ts! :)[/quote]
same here,closing both ebay and PP accounts after being bumped by the c*** in Romania who got away with paying me 60 quid,from now on its gumtree or here for my bass stuff.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1183792' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:51 PM']I admit it 'clouds' the issue of free postage but at the end of the day I WILL send it free with no insurance. Both UPS and DHL offer insurance for musical instruments BUT it isn't cheap to add the insurance... hence my offer.[/quote]

Make sure if you pay for the extra insurance your item is covered
read the small print as some insurers will only insure guitars etc if they are [b]Flight cased[/b]
but this is only mentioned in the small print etc.
so you can box up and package as safely as you like, pay the insurance
but if its not flight cased ,its not covered ! be careful

regards
Jay