Why become a member? ×

Thomann - Squier Precision Classic Vibe (nice bass!!!)

mcnach

Well, I finally got my hands on a Squier Precision CV I ordered from Thomann.
Another one to blame Sue Ryder for :)
I didn't like P basses or red basses... and ended up thinking "hmmm, a red p sounds cool". Oh, fickle!
I was almost going to become King of the Ryders, getting Tom's red one, but I met someone who had one of these CV Squiers and decided to buy one of them.

Well here it is:

I'm quite impressed. This thing is really well made, feels really nice, sounds good... it even has my favourite strings!
Not keen on the tug bar as I don't use it... but it doesn't get in the way. Toying with the idea of putting a rest for my thumb 'though, on the body, below the pickguard, much like Tim Commerford's rest between the pickups on his Jazzes... being used to Stingrays, I miss that natural thumbrest that is the MM pickup. Maybe not. It's not a big deal.

What I'm very very impressed with is the setup. I don't know if this is Squier's or Thomann's doing. There was a little label detailing setup QC, well, action settings:

I expected to set it up myself, but... it's pretty much spot-on the way I'd like it. Fretwork is perfect. I didn't expect this level of detail when receiving a bass in a cardboard box. Is that Squier's job? Very impressed. Is that Thomann's job perhaps? Who do I congratulate?

There was another interesting thing, and this is about Thomann.
It seems this particular bass has been used as a "model". I suppose to get their own stock pictures.
With the bass, there was a card explaining that, and including a printed photograph of one of the pictures. The big white blob in the middle is just my flash, the picture is beautifully done.
So my bass is famous!!! Well, sort of! :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1182799' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:17 PM']Congratulations on that, the pic is a very nice touch.

The QC card is from the factory - Grand Reward Education and Entertainment, Guang Dong, China - and I think your date is 25th November 2010,[/quote]

Yeah, it took me a couple of minutes to realise what it was :)

QC: top marks to Squier for going one step extra and doing this. I suppose it's partly why these basses are more expensive than other Squiers and why they're generall considered as being nicer.

I've just spent nearly an hour playing this bass, and it's terrific. Lighter than the Sue Ryder P-basses too, and more comfortable neck. For some reason it makes me play ska/reggae. Funny how some instruments seem to dictate what you play, eh?

I bought my CV Jazz from Thomann a couple of months back.

Out of the box, it was superb - haven't tweaked it at all!

The CV-P I bought from over here needed a small adjustment, but TBH, the basic Squier set-up impressed me no end compared to some high end stuff.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1182886' date='Mar 30 2011, 11:52 PM']I've just spent nearly an hour playing this bass, and it's terrific. Lighter than the Sue Ryder P-basses too, and more comfortable neck. For some reason it makes me play ska/reggae. Funny how some instruments seem to dictate what you play, eh?[/quote]

It's not my bass that makes me play reggae :)

I played a CV P bass yesterday (same colour).

I have to say I was damn impressed with it! It was easily the nicest Squire I've ever played and it put some MIM Fenders I've played to shame (along with many other mid-range basses). What shocked me even more was that the shop's owner informed me that he hadn't given it a full setup yet.

If I wasn't looking at the new, updated Mark Hoppus basses I'd have been tempted to wack out the debit card there and then.

Welcome to the club.

Both my CV's came from Soundslive and both we very playable straight out fo the box, but of course i had to mess with it, it wouldn't be a new bass without a tinkle.

Ive just put a black pickguard on mine and i much prefer the look of it now. Ive never really liked the Fiesta red and tort but stuck with the bass as its such a great player. Now its almost perfect.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1185164' date='Apr 1 2011, 07:32 PM']Here mine with its new PG on. I much prefer the overall look of the bass now.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/5579699119/"][/url][/quote]

very nice!!!

the tortoiseshell on this bass is not the best I've seen, although I do like it. But I have to say with a black one it looks damn sexy too.
where did you get it from? I'm thinking of getting one for my new Fender fretless, and removing the metal cover(s) and thumbrest... a new pickguard will make it less of a gruyere cheese :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1185274' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:14 PM']Nice one dave_bass5, mine started off like yours and after many mods ended up looking like this:[/quote]

Thanks Fran.
I followed your thread and i love the look of your Squier. In fact it was you who told me where to get the pickguard.
That neck really sets it apart from the others. I think that PG goes really well with the maple neck.

@mcnach. I got the PG from here
[url="http://www.axesrus.com/AxePlatesBass.html"]Axesrus[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

Since I got this bass I've been playing it a lot. I never thought I'd get P-basses until a month ago or so... and now I'm wondering where they had been all my life!

Even the sound alone it's starting to grow on me.

So... it was unavoidable: I just ordered a John East [b]P-Retro[/b] for the Squier. Although, to be honest, I'm pretty happy the way it is completely stock. That has happened very rarely to me.

I'll definitely have to try those blonde CV 50s P-basses... if they're at the same quality level as the my CV 60s, I will not be able to resist it.

Crazy.

Ive often considered a P-Retro so ill be very interested in how you get on with it.

I like the P tone, and my CV P seems to nail it perfectly, even better than my old Lakland Duck Dunn's, but i do need a break from it every now and then so keeping my CV Jazz on standby.

I really love my CVP but do fancy the Matt Freeman P to replace it as i think it looks fantastic. Thing is i just cant get away from how perfect my CV P is at the moment.
If i dont get the MF, and i probably wont just yet, i think ill invest in a nice maple neck like Fran's, although mine would be a Jazz neck.

This is the first bass thats really helped keep away the GAS.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1192591' date='Apr 8 2011, 09:08 AM']Ive often considered a P-Retro so ill be very interested in how you get on with it.

I like the P tone, and my CV P seems to nail it perfectly, even better than my old Lakland Duck Dunn's, but i do need a break from it every now and then so keeping my CV Jazz on standby.

I really love my CVP but do fancy the Matt Freeman P to replace it as i think it looks fantastic. Thing is i just cant get away from how perfect my CV P is at the moment.
If i dont get the MF, and i probably wont just yet, i think ill invest in a nice maple neck like Fran's, although mine would be a Jazz neck.

This is the first bass thats really helped keep away the GAS.[/quote]

It seems there was a bit of a backlog, but I got an email from John an hour ago saying mine was posted today and should arrive tomorrow by 1pm :)

• 2 years later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1303138872' post='1203737']
Well, it arrived and was installed:

I posted about my first impressions here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=132430"]John East P-Retro on Squier CV series Precision bass[/url]
[/quote]

I can't believe I sold that bass, what was I thinking?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390575265' post='2347087']
A road worn Precision in fiesta red with rosewood neck you say? Better start saving for a Pino!

http://www.fender.com/basses/precision-bass/pino-palladino-signature-precision-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-fiesta-red/
[/quote]
Haha thats exactly what im after but on a tighter budget