Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass dilema!

TRBboy

My main bass for the last 14 years or so has been my trusty MIA Fender Jazz. Many other basses have come and gone, but it has stayed. I did upgrade the pups to SD Quarter Pounders a few years ago, which are ok, but the trouble is, since I got my Sandberg a few weeks back it just seems a bit feeble. So I'm now trying to decide what to do to give it a bit more balls. I like plenty of output, guts, growl and punch, but still defined and articulate. I don't want to chop any wood out (e.g. battery box, side mount jack) so that's another consideration. I did try an Aguilar OBP2SK before but it was just too much to fit in the cavity.

I realise that the obvious answer is to drop in a j-retro, but I need to do this cheaper if possible, unless of course anyone knows of a cheap one for sale somewhere. :)

If I went the active route, I would ideally like to have a passive bypass just in case.

So the options I've thought of so far are:

- Dimarzio Model J or Ultra Jazz set - hotter output and more modern sounding than my SD's. No need to worry about batteries. BUT will they satisfy me. Anyone have any thoughts about either model?

- Glockenklang 2-band preamp w/stacked pot (keep the SD's) - Impressed with the Glock in my Sandberg and it has the passive bypass. BUT will it (and battery) fit in the control cavity?

- East BTB-01 (keep SD's) - Really not sure if I'll fit this and a battery in, the circuit board looks fairly big.

- EMG J Set - Quite like the idea of this BUT no passive option. I'm guessing that the battery would fit in the control cavity as there's not much else to get in the way.

HELP!!!

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Edited by TRBboy

Yeah that's a good shout, and you've just reminded me that I've got a Radial Bassbone which isn't doing much at the moment! Maybe I should get some Dimarzio's and use the bassbone - even if the pedal dies at least I should still have a decent sound.

I'm still open to other suggestions though guys, I am notoriously useless at making decisions!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1179940' date='Mar 28 2011, 08:06 PM']Why not get some delanos like your sandy will probably have?[/quote]

Well I've got the Basic 4, so it's a MM, but not a bad shout. What do the Delano J's sound like passive? Aren't they a fair bit more expensive too?

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1180208' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:39 PM']Dimarzios and Glockenlang - I'd choose the same for myself[/quote]

I reckon that would be an awesome combo, I'm just not sure whether the Glock would fit I'm the cavity. Perhaps I'll email them and see if they can tell me anything.

Out of interest, which Dimarzios would you go for?

[quote name='bh2' post='1180255' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:27 PM']I put DiMarzio Model J's on mine, the ones with the cream covers, although the added J-Retro helps a lil bit![/quote]

I've never had the chance to play a bass with a j-retro in - are they worth the money? I've read great reviews and I know people love them.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1180279' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:49 PM']I've never had the chance to play a bass with a j-retro in - are they worth the money? I've read great reviews and I know people love them.[/quote]

J-Retro + DiMarzios = OMG!!!

Monster tone... almost sub bass. I tend to get as low as possible while retaining the definition... I don't know what the top end is like as I've not been there.

I've put DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in my main Jazz.I've also got a series/parallel switch,which gives more
tonal options. I run it through a Sadowsky outboard preamp,and it sounds killer.
Bearing in mind that Sadowsky's pickups are (were?) slightly modified DiMarzio Ultra Jazz,those and the
Sadowsky preamp work together really well.

I do now really fancy the Glock - I think my SD's might be fine with a bit of a helping hand (and it's about the cheapest option!), but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to fit it and the battery in my cavity. Has anyone fitted one to a Jazz bass?

On another subject, can anyone recommend a good quality replacement nut for a jazz?

Ok, it doesn't look like anything active is gonna work, don't know if my cavity is just super small or what.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions/preference between the Dimarzio Model J or Ultra Jazz?

Also, does anyone know where to look for a Sadowsky outboard preamp and how much they go for?

John East does a pedal-format preamp too, the STMP 01. It's "similar to a J-Retro", according to the web site. It's a little north of 200 quid, mind, but with John you do know it's going to be really good. This would satisfy your urge not to carve up your bass, but probably doesn't fall into the category of cheap.

I bet the STMP-01 sounds great, but yeah a little pricey.

Had a response from Glockenklang saying that I would probably have to install a battery box. I know I said I didn't want to chop it about, but I'm wondering about just cutting a slot big enough for the battery, extending from the end of the control cavity back towards the pickups. Maybe I should just do it. I did say it's the bass I'd never sell anyway!

Don't know if there's any major issues with the battery being fairly close top the pickups?

[quote name='BottomE' post='1182093' date='Mar 30 2011, 12:45 PM']I got an Audere preamp with whatever the standard US PuPs are. Sounds great and variation a plenty. Comes into its own in a bigger venue.[/quote]

Is it the JZ3 that comes built onto the bell plate, j-retro stylee? Didi it fit straight in with no problems? looks good......

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1182115' date='Mar 30 2011, 01:02 PM']Is it the JZ3 that comes built onto the bell plate, j-retro stylee? Didi it fit straight in with no problems? looks good......[/quote]
Yes it is - stacked knobs, 3 way switch and a blue light! Also a beauty of a fit. I bought the bass like this as I am no techy but have managed to change the battery without an issue :)

The tonal variation is quite stunning actually - i wasn't looking for an active bass in particular but have been very impressed with this unit so far. I also have a Sadowsky outboard at home and pound for pound you will get more tone out of the Audere IMHO and that is saying something cos the Sadowsky outboard is a quality unit. Its all horses for courses though - each to their own and all that.