Why become a member? ×

Delay with momentary switch

topo morto

...so I can just quickly put a bit of spot delay on one note by holding down the switch for the duration of that note only. I do want to be able to contunue playing 'unaffected', while the delayed sound from a previous note echoes over the top. So I need a momentary switch to control the SEND to the delay, but for the return from the delay to be always active (i.e. trails).

Technically it's not anything complicated -Exactly the same as any pedal with trails, but without the need to press the pedal once to activate the send, and again to deactivate it.

Also if there's one with tap tempo, that would be awesome.

Any eye deers? :)

[quote name='TomTFS' post='1175771' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:55 AM']Probably best off finding a bypass loop pedal that has the return always on but only sends when you depress the switch, then just get whatever delay pedal you like?[/quote]

I suppose that would work - any recommendations for such a bypass loop pedal ?

I can see it causing problems with dry signal level though...

Edited by topo morto

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1176138' date='Mar 25 2011, 04:28 PM']Would the EHX Freeze do what you're after? I may have misunderstood slightly.

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/freeze"]http://www.ehx.com/products/freeze[/url]

Holds the last note you played over whatever your doing, with a level control....?? :)[/quote]

Looks like an intersting box but I'm not really after infinite sustain or 'freeze' - I'm more thinking of dub-type sounds with conventional repeats and feedback. So all I really need is a conventional delay pedal with trails, but with a press on/release off footswitch rather than press on/press off...

[quote name='topo morto' post='1175859' date='Mar 25 2011, 01:17 PM']I suppose that would work - any recommendations for such a bypass loop pedal ?

I can see it causing problems with dry signal level though...[/quote]

I think you could make it in a small enclosure, two footswitches, one bypasses the whole thing and is latching, the other just turns on the send to the "effect loop".

I tried looking for one but couldn't find anything, pretty sure I've seen someone wanting one before though so they're probably out there.

I kind of got the arrangement I wanted working, with a rather unwieldy set of equipment - basically going into a splitter, then one output going via a volume pedal through a 100% wet delay into a mixer, and the other output from the splitter going straight into the mixer. (I'm using a Voodoo bass as the splitter, a Korg AX1000G as the volume pedal, and a behringer delay, so it's not quite stage ready!)

[quote name='xgsjx']Why not send Silent Fly a PM & see what [sfx] can do?[/quote]

I might indeed get something made. at the moment I'm thinking it should have:

- a mixer with an always on return, with variable blend between dry and effect return
- the send to the effect should be activated via a momentary switch, or a plug-in volume pedal
- there should also be a feedback from the effect return to the input of the effect, which would allow a mod effect to be placed in series with the delay to allow progressively more chorused delays, etc
- inputs and outputs should be switchable between instr and line level, maybe?
- maybe a kill switch for the delay return for when things start going wrong!

Anyway my ideas will probably evolve!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1177201' date='Mar 26 2011, 01:41 PM']Err, don't various Boss Delays do exactly this with the warp mode?

It's the sound our guitarist uses at the start of this video:- [url="http://vimeo.com/8052822"]http://vimeo.com/8052822[/url]
I think he uses a DD-6.[/quote]

All the warp mode on the DD6 does is increase the delay level and feedback while you hold the pedal - but you can't use it to maintain a repeating sound while you continue playing dry over the top, because the effect send is active while you hold the pedal.

You can get the effect I want with the DD6 in normal delay mode, but you have to stamp on it to turn it on and then again to turn it off, which is one stamp too many.

I found the DD6 a very frustrating pedal, actually - it ALMOST does some things that i would find really cool..!

Ah right, he uses it quite subtly so it wasn't obvious to me that it was doing anything other than repeats.

Could you not try modding an EHX memory boy? They use a normal size footswitch from what I can tell although I've not opened one up and looked. Should be fairly straightforward to swap it out for a momentary one.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1178929' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:42 PM']Ah right, he uses it quite subtly so it wasn't obvious to me that it was doing anything other than repeats.

Could you not try modding an EHX memory boy? They use a normal size footswitch from what I can tell although I've not opened one up and looked. Should be fairly straightforward to swap it out for a momentary one.[/quote]

Could do something like that... Though as I don't alreadh have a delay I was thinking of contacting 'made by mike' and asking him if he could do [url="http://www.madebymike.co.uk/echobase.shtml"]this[/url] with a momentary switch....