Why become a member? ×

Telemaster bass...

untune

Gone for a typical black soapbar henry! :)

That said, there is a way to fake it - a guy in the states I found via the last bass outpost makes 'toppers' - which is a basically a thin polished aluminium plate the same size/shape as the top of the soapbar. You just screw through it and voila - fake chrome pickup haha. You do get a thin bit of black plastic visible at the sides but I'm not bothered about that - could always spray it chrome. I spoke to the guy but he never got back to me on the cost (importing etc) so I imagine it'd be a bit steep for what it is, unless we can get somebody here to make them? :)

• 2 months later...

It's been a while! Final furlong now!

After the burning incident... speaking to my uncle's mate (luthier) tomorrow, hopefully getting a setup, string tree fitted, and having a word to see if he might have a solution for the pickup ring problem!

Looks brilliant. I've just been reading about Fender Japan's new Pawn Shop guitars, which mixes classic necks and bodies with alternative hardware and one model is a Mustang with Fender wide range humbuckers [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/pawnshop/models.php?prodNo=0266400"]Here[/url] . It reminds me somewhat of your Telemaster and also reminded me of another chrome bass humbucker should you dare to take a router to your masterpiece again :) [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Genuine-Fender-Telecaster-Tele-Bass-Pickup-/200636024332?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb6d6c60c#ht_2234wt_1037"]Fender Wide Range Telebass Humbucker[/url]. In fact, your bass looks so cool I might just have to build one for myself....

Cheers for the comments guys!

Got it strung up now, practically finished - apart from the pickup ring which can be done anytime. You can't really tell she's a burn victim unless you look closely :) Either way I'm still going to do it, but it's nice to be able to play something that six months ago was just something I knocked up in Photoshop. Surprisingly it's nicely balanced with no neckdive or similar issues. Does need a set up, frets buzz above the 12th if the saddles go any lower, so might need a bit of adjustment with the truss rod. Other than that, no buzz or anything, quite impressed with the neck (Mighty Mite Jazz).

Pickup is a custom Catswhisker coil tapped humbucker (alnico 5) wired to a switch for series HB and SC. It's got a nice character, deep and thick when rolled off but still with an element of clarity, and when open it's got plenty of top end without being too 'zingy'. Be interesting to hear how it changes as the strings settle in and dull down a bit. Also using a PIO tone cap I got from nick I think?

Overall I'm really pleased with how everything turned out despite how long it took! Would just like to say thanks to all the folks on here who have offered help, advice and recommendations :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='1331749' date='Aug 8 2011, 09:58 AM']Looks brilliant. I've just been reading about Fender Japan's new Pawn Shop guitars, which mixes classic necks and bodies with alternative hardware and one model is a Mustang with Fender wide range humbuckers [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/pawnshop/models.php?prodNo=0266400"]Here[/url] . It reminds me somewhat of your Telemaster and also reminded me of another chrome bass humbucker should you dare to take a router to your masterpiece again :) [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Genuine-Fender-Telecaster-Tele-Bass-Pickup-/200636024332?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb6d6c60c#ht_2234wt_1037"]Fender Wide Range Telebass Humbucker[/url]. In fact, your bass looks so cool I might just have to build one for myself....[/quote]

Sorry mate I didn't comment on the rest of the stuff you said! I've seen those Mustangs yeah - they're the only ones I like from that Pawn Shop range! And as for the Telebass humbucker, I've heard they're quite muddy? I'm happy with the tone I've got anyway, it can cover a nice wide range with P-bass style smooth/thickness (something I requested when it was wound) with lots of clarity if you open the tone up. I think this was due to the thickness of wire Allan at Catswhisker used to wind it. The coil tap gives it that thinner, jazz style sound at a slight cost of volume, as you'd expect - but it's nice to have that little bit more variety on a single pickup. Plus of course, when you start to mess with EQ the possibilities open up even more. The tech I showed it to told me flat out he hated the scratchplate which made me laugh (he said it looked like an 'afterthought') but then it's a fairly extreme design! I think I actually spent about a month drawing up designs for a single pickup Jazz and just threw this idea together on the night before I sent the picture off to show the luthier. I decided if I wanted a jazz, or a precision, I can buy a Squier, or find parts on eBay. Considering they're the most common designs avalable I'd have no trouble finding all the bits I'd need - so if I'm going to have a body made from scratch, why not try something outlandish?

But yeah if you do your own build let me know :lol: My original design was in a taxi cab yellow, I also did a design in a cobalt blue with a pickguard that curved like a telecaster on the left side rather than being pointed like a Jazzmaster/Jag. Keep us posted if you do! :)

Edited by untune

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate! :)

I've been playing it lots and it's settled quite nicely, though the action is too high further up the neck and I don't like playing with the truss rod...

The pickup sounds VEEERY similar to [url="http://www.slinkp.com/bass/samples/mike_watt_engine_room_intro.mp3"]this recording[/url] from Mike Watt's 'Contemplating the Engine Room' played on a 60's Thunderbird II - perhaps not quite EXACTLY the same but with volume on 8, tone on 8 and the humbucker switch on - a stright DI box recording is so close you can barely tell the difference.

Furthermore, I've realised that I'd really like a jazz aswell, but I can't afford one :)

• 6 months later...

[quote name='untune' timestamp='1313000928' post='1335527']
Cheers for the comments guys!

Got it strung up now, practically finished - apart from the pickup ring which can be done anytime. You can't really tell she's a burn victim unless you look closely :lol: Either way I'm still going to do it, but it's nice to be able to play something that six months ago was just something I knocked up in Photoshop. Surprisingly it's nicely balanced with no neckdive or similar issues. Does need a set up, frets buzz above the 12th if the saddles go any lower, so might need a bit of adjustment with the truss rod. Other than that, no buzz or anything, quite impressed with the neck (Mighty Mite Jazz).

Pickup is a custom Catswhisker coil tapped humbucker (alnico 5) wired to a switch for series HB and SC. It's got a nice character, deep and thick when rolled off but still with an element of clarity, and when open it's got plenty of top end without being too 'zingy'. Be interesting to hear how it changes as the strings settle in and dull down a bit. Also using a PIO tone cap I got from nick I think?

Overall I'm really pleased with how everything turned out despite how long it took! Would just like to say thanks to all the folks on here who have offered help, advice and recommendations :)
[/quote]Nice job dude!

• 2 months later...

Wow, didn't know this was still around!

She's almost a year old and suffered some SERIOUS buckle rash today... been wearing a new belt and the buckle has gouged the finish right off, almost down to the wood. Bit young for a relic! :P

Cheers mate :)

Got another project in mind at the moment. Want to make the body myself this time - nice, simple, one pickup, 51 precision shape. Got the neck and bridge, as well as a pickup - but need to get a body sorted. Got some wood which was kindly given to me by a BC member but I'm saving that for something else. It needs thicknessing and i just don't have the skills/confidence... so since I'm working now and money is not an issue, I'm thinking of getting a good solid piece of swamp ash and having a go with that.

Once that one is finished, I'm thinking of having a go at winding a custom pickup for it :P

I would love to have a go at building a body one day, but unfortunately, I don't have the big boy tools, but do have a sawmill at the bottom of my road though, so could use them to do the cutting.

There is a company that supplies 51 Precision bodies in different woods [url="http://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/product.php?prodId=76&category=&secondary=&keywords="]http://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/product.php?prodId=76&category=&secondary=&keywords= [/url]and quite reasonable prices (from £75) maybe worth checking out?

Good luck, look forward to seeing the progress in build diaries :)

• 1 year later...