Why become a member? ×

It's always nice to say thank you!

Gust0o

So... a couple of months back I managed to destroy a pot on my Hartke 3500 head. A quick disassemble convinced me I knew absolutely nothing about anything worthwhile, and would need some expert help in replacing the pot without tampering with the rest of the head's electronics.

I posted on here, and explored some options with Korg, before iCastle very kindly offered to lend me a hand - if I got a spare pot, not only would he replace it for free, but he'd show me how to do it too!

Ok, so my wife binned the first pot I ordered; then she re-ordered a 100k pot for a 10k job, but yesterday Ian kindly put my head back together - with an explanation of the do's don'ts of soldering circuit boards :)

Brilliant! Oh, and I got a cuppa too and a look at all his cool gear.

So, I wanted to say thanks to Ian - this is a great forum we have and it's full of great people, who will make time to answer silly questions or lend a hand. I hope it never changes, as I'm certainly grateful. Cheers Ian!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1170878' date='Mar 21 2011, 04:44 PM']So... a couple of months back I managed to destroy a pot on my Hartke 3500 head. A quick disassemble convinced me I knew absolutely nothing about anything worthwhile, and would need some expert help in replacing the pot without tampering with the rest of the head's electronics.

I posted on here, and explored some options with Korg, before iCastle very kindly offered to lend me a hand - if I got a spare pot, not only would he replace it for free, but he'd show me how to do it too!

Ok, so my wife binned the first pot I ordered; then she re-ordered a 100k pot for a 10k job, but yesterday Ian kindly put my head back together - with an explanation of the do's don'ts of soldering circuit boards :)

Brilliant! Oh, and I got a cuppa too and a look at all his cool gear.

So, I wanted to say thanks to Ian - this is a great forum we have and it's full of great people, who will make time to answer silly questions or lend a hand. I hope it never changes, as I'm certainly grateful. Cheers Ian![/quote]

No problem Gus.
I didn't mention it at the time in case I scared you, but the first amp I ever repaired kept blowing fuses.
I drew a diagram of the circuit board and wrote down all the component values on it, replaced the fuse with a bolt and plugged it in down the bottom of the garden using an extension lead.

Once the smoke had cleared I got replacement parts for the charred ones and used my dads old soldering iron (it was for soldering lead pipes and I needed both hands to lift it up!) to put the new parts in.

I was only 6 though and I've got a little bit better at it since then... :)

Love it when you get helpful people like that, nice one iCastle! Steve Soar did a setup on my Jazz not but a few months ago, I was slightly at a loss with what was up with it but he did a great job of getting it playing a lot closer to how I wanted it to play, completely free of charge! I'll be going to him if I need work doing again with cash next time.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1170878' date='Mar 21 2011, 04:44 PM'][size=1]BC Rich Custom Shop NT Eagle "Wonky" - 2003
BC Rich NJ Eagle - 1984
BC Rich NJ ST - 1987
BC Rich Platinum Series ST

Lakland DJ4 Jazz
Fender MIM Precision
1988 Charvel 575
1960 Ibanez 1250[/quote][/size]

You forgotten something beginning with 'G' ? :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='risingson' post='1171339' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:17 PM']Love it when you get helpful people like that, nice one iCastle! Pete Soar did a setup on my Jazz not but a few months ago, I was slightly at a loss with what was up with it but he did a great job of getting it playing a lot closer to how I wanted it to play, completely free of charge! I'll be going to him if I need work doing again with cash next time.[/quote]Pete?

I am the new TIM.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1171421' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:07 PM']Pete?

I am the new TIM.[/quote]

Oh dear Steve!! Midway through talking about my Uncle Pete whilst writing the message... that'll learn me for trying to conduct a convo and be on Basschat at the same time. Can't multitask to save my friggin life!

[quote name='risingson' post='1171537' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:23 PM']Oh dear Steve!! Midway through talking about my Uncle Pete whilst writing the message... that'll learn me for trying to conduct a convo and be on Basschat at the same time. Can't multitask to save my friggin life![/quote] Alan, it's no problem.