Why become a member? ×

Duran Duran

Pete Academy

[quote name='witterth' post='1170110' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:52 PM']"Andy Taylor hasn't been in the picture for years."

I know, I was wondering what happened
anyone know?[/quote]

Sorry, my misunderstanding. Any amount of versions given by all involved at the time IIRC

Oh, and I'm not a massive Duran fan BTW, but I know a couple folk who are.. :)

Edited by kingofthestuntmen

[quote name='witterth' post='1170110' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:52 PM']"Andy Taylor hasn't been in the picture for years."

I know, I was wondering what happened
anyone know?[/quote]
His autobiography ("Wild Boy") is an interesting read, and he goes in to detail as to why he left (again).

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1170076' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:34 PM']Did think the new guitarist was a bit too loud tho.[/quote]
I agree, and I thought that SLeB's vocals lacked presence too.

I found it all a bit embarassing really, very much like a sad middle aged version of Top of the Pops. Turned over and watched Prof Cox on BBC2.

I have it on very good authority that JT is now in possession of and is using two Sei 5 string Jazz basses, one is a smoky black colour - I missed this show but I'd be interested to know if that sounds like the bass he was using...

I think JT only played 2 basses - Peavey Cirrus 4 and 5 strings. Noticed he seemed to have his bass slung much lower than back in the 80’s – has cool won out over ergonomics?

Happy to admit to being massively influenced by JT’s playing – but never much into DD. Nothing against the band themselves – it just didn’t seem worth going to one of their gigs, knowing that it would be impossible to hear or see the band due to the demographics of their fanbase. :)

I enjoyed the programme, but the ad-break after every 2 songs was a reminder of why the licence fee is a good idea. :)

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1170570' date='Mar 21 2011, 12:50 PM']I think JT only played 2 basses - Peavey Cirrus 4 and 5 strings. Noticed he seemed to have his bass slung much lower than back in the 80’s – has cool won out over ergonomics?

Happy to admit to being massively influenced by JT’s playing – but never much into DD. Nothing against the band themselves – it just didn’t seem worth going to one of their gigs, knowing that it would be impossible to hear or see the band due to the demographics of their fanbase. :)

I enjoyed the programme, but the ad-break after every 2 songs was a reminder of why the licence fee is a good idea. :)[/quote]

i am a fan of JT's bass playing, and didnt mind duran duran (was my era lol) but priced tickets for their tour out of interest, £62 quid each!! , dream on lol

Hey Mike, hasn't John just got the one new Sei Bass? Martin and John made the 'grey one' after John commissioned it in December when I was down visiting them. The other 5 stringer being the one he used while recording with Mark Ronson.
John wanted to buy that one originally, but the guy who's bass it was wanted to keep it, hence the reason JT was put in touch with the guys at The Gallery to order one for himself.