Why become a member? ×

Another which bass thread.....

Relise

I currently play an Ibanez SR500 which I love - It's so easy to play and has a good range of tones, however I've just been paid a bonus and can afford another bass. :)

I play good old pub rock at the moment but I want some think that will be versatile enough incase that changes. Budget is probably about the £1000 mark and i'm happy to go 2nd hand to get the most for my money.

I've always loved the look and sound of Warwick's but never got my hands on one yet so some feedback on the pro's and con's of the different models would be great.

If possible I would like something that's a bit different in sound to the SR but still with a similar neck :-)

I'm hugely tempted by the Warwick Streamer LX 4 thats in the for sale section (if it hasn't gone!) but am loath to spend that sort of money without having even tried out the make and model.

I know that what ever I get the best way is to go and try as many as possible and see what I like but I'd quite like a short list before doing this.

Any suggestions????

I've played many basses over the years, but the ones I liked enough to buy were a Fender Precision, Fender Precision Special, MM Stingray 5, Wal 5 and Lakland 5. I still own 3 of them!

Edit: spelling!

Edited by chris_b

For that sort of budget, I would definitely want to try before I buy.

I've had a couple of Warwicks (a thumb and a corvette), and they sound awesome and are very well put together. Although..... in the end, I parted with both of mine because there was just something not right. There wasn't anything wrong with either of the basses, there was just something slightly incompatible between me and them. I can't put my finger on what it was, but when it came down to it, they just didn't quite suit me I guess.

You've got loads of options for your budget, so play as many as you can!

I don't think there is much arguement that Warwick basses second hand are the best value for money at the moment, the way the market is. On the same token, i would recommend you do NOT buy one brand new!

Try before you buy. For your budget you can afford to get an older late eighties/early nineties handcrafted Warwick, which some prefer due to the neck profile and woods used (Wenge rather than the cheaper Ovangkol) amongst other things.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1167241' date='Mar 18 2011, 03:02 PM']How about a Thumb 5 BO? :)

If you want something similar to your SR's neck, I think they're quite jazz-shaped. You could start there. :)[/quote]

I'd be tempted if I wanted a 5 string... But I struggle enough with 4!! :-)

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I also have a G&L L2000 Tribute which I used to love playing until I got the SR500 and found that neck much more playable. I keep trying with it but I'm sure it doesn't sound right at the moment. I need to take it to a decent luthiers and get it checked out - local guitar shop said it was fine but it still sounds wrong to me. A trip to the Bass Gallery is required.... So while I'm there I might as well try a few other basses out :-)

I definitely want to try some Warwick's but not sure which models and a Fender Jazz or 2 are on my list. I'm also happy to try bigger necks again so will probably pick up a P of some description.....

[quote name='Mikeg' post='1167666' date='Mar 18 2011, 09:24 PM']I wouldent rule out another Ibby, I'm looking up a sr1400 premium :)[/quote]
Ohhhh now that is a good looking bass! I couldn't find any online clips of what it sounds like. Just the NAMM video. Any idea when it will hit the UK??

Edited by Relise