Why become a member? ×

Buy Neck from USA

Cygnus x-1

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='1159931' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:16 PM']If I were to buy a neck from the USA for around $100, does anyone know if it would cost anthing in tax at my end (UK) and if yes roughly how much? any advice much appreciated, thanks.[/quote]

Yes it would. VAT is 20%. It probably is below the value needed for Customs Duty to kick in. The courier might levy a charge for presenting the goods to HMRC, paying the duty on your behalf then invoicing you. So the answer is 20% plus anything between £5 and £15.

Or it might sneak under their noses...

From HMRC - [url="http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm"]http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm[/url]

[quote][b]2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?[/b]

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

■customs duty
■excise duty
■import VAT

and must be paid whether:

■you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
■the goods are new or used (including antiques)
■the goods are for your private use or for re-sale.

[b]2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?[/b]

■Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters. See paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.

■If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, and which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.

■Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the Customs Helpline for further information.[/quote]

Edited by skankdelvar

My brother fell foul of this a couple of years ago when importing a vintage delay pedal; customs and excise people don't open every package, just a sample. SOmetimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. You should be prepared for the extra charges though.

I also know of someone who imported a Gretch White Falcon from the USA and didn't pay ant import duty on it as he'd got the seller to ship it as a gift, and declare the value of the item as significantly less than its actual worth (roughly £2,500). Not completely honest though... :)

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' post='1159975' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:44 PM']I also know of someone who imported a Gretch White Falcon from the USA and didn't pay ant import duty on it as he'd got the seller to ship it as a gift, and declare the value of the item as significantly less than its actual worth (roughly £2,500). Not completely honest though... :)[/quote]
...and as ever I should add, with the potential for a nasty hit if it is picked up and confiscated. Could also give a problem if there is damage and the insurance will not pay out.

[url="http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#4"]Gifts sent from outside the EU[/url]

Sometimes things get picked up (they should do if properly declared) sometimes they don't. Best to work out actual cost +20% VAT + £15 for the courier to deal with HMRC for you and if it is still worth it the go for it, and if it's missed well hurrah.

Getting something misdeclared for value, EVEN IF the seller did it off their own back and you knew nothing about it :) could still end up with it confiscated and you being out of pocket if it is picked up...I seem to recall in one of these threads a while back I posted extracts from just such a duty case

[quote name='WalMan' post='1159990' date='Mar 12 2011, 11:03 PM']...and as ever I should add, with the potential for a nasty hit if it is picked up and confiscated. Could also give a problem if there is damage and the insurance will not pay out.[/quote]
Absolutely, when he told me the tale I couldn't believe it at first. Nice guitar, too many strings though.